ALERT: NASHVILLIANS, METRO TO MAKE PARKS OFF LIMITS TO HCP'S EMAIL/CALL THE COUNCIL!

Well we knew it was going to happen, and here it is. This bill is scheduled for 1st reading on this Tuesday June 16th. The way I read the state law this doesn't have to go all the way Through the council it can be all over with one vote. Its imperative that you contact every member of the metro council about this bill. Use wording like "our rights given by our legislature".. and the "will of the people"... make them understand that peoples of every race, creed, and ethnic background in Nashville have carry permits and deserves to be protected from criminals. Point out that this isnt about "where kids or children are" its about "preventing crime". Its about having the ability to protect those children. Permit holders have been carrying for 15 years all over the state and have had little to no problems.

Ask them how many crimes are committed against the public in parks right now? Would they feel safe walking or spending time in these parks alone? How many robberies, rapes, and attacks occur. Ask them to get the stats from the Metro Nashville Police Dept of how many calls to service they have going to the Metro Parks? How many sex offenders and rapist have been arrested in our parks? Point out that they need the factual data, not just a ignorant police chief spewing lies while playing politics.

Point out that "carry in parks" legislation has passed on the Federal and our State level... as well as many other states...so there is obviously a need for it, why prohibit the safety of Nashvillians by permitting this council bill to pass. Criminals are not going to pay any attention to any law, nor abide by this one. This will only make it easier for them to victimize our citizens.

BILL NO. BL2009-489 (Maynard, Barry)

An ordinance prohibiting handguns within Metropolitan Government parks, and amending Section 13.24.440 of the Metropolitan Code pertaining to the prohibition against firearms within parks.

Also while your at it please ask them to follow Through and kill this illegal legislation on the same night.

BILL NO. BL2009-483 (Tygard, Barry & others)

An ordinance amending Chapter 7.08 of the Metropolitan Code to prohibit firearms in any establishment with an on-premises beer permit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

Not to be a naysayer, but there's no way we're gonna win this one.

That said, I just sent this to all Council members as well as to my own...

Dear Councilmember,

While the new State park carry bill clearly gives you the right to, I urge you not to ban legal, licensed Handgun Carry Permit holders the right to protect themselves in local parks.

Please look to the FACTS about HCP holders, as opposed to the handwringing cries of "for the children". For the past 13 years, HCP holders have proven themselves to be law abiding citizens, in fact as a group probably the most law abiding group of citizens in the state, even more so than law enforcement officers. Absolutely the last thing on our minds is having a shootout in a park.

There is no denying that crime exists in the local parks. Or just parks in general, which is why this practice has been passed in the State legislature and will be law in National parks. I think about the young woman that was raped by a homeless man in Bicentennial Park last year as an example of why this bill is needed.

Criminals are already carrying firearms into the parks, yet the Park Rangers can't be everywhere to protect those that use the parks. This bill is about allowing HCP holders the right to defend themselves should they be confronted by a criminal in the park.

The State bill allows the local jurisdictions to post local parks at their discretion. At the very least, the Council should consider each park individually as opposed to just a blanket ban, and post accordingly. A park that is mostly a children's playground like Dragon Park should be considered differently than a park like Warner Park with it's very rural setting and many walking trails through the woods.

Edited by HexHead

I tend to agree this is an uphill battle, but the way I see it if John Harris can fight this fight for 15 years, I think we all need to fight it as much as we for the next few days and weeks until we see this thru.

Heres what I wrote the council:

Dear Council Members,

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Phillip Arrington, I am a resident of Nashville and have lived here my whole life. My wife is Nancy Arrington. In the past I have been a local police officer for several different counties and municipalities. I am currently a firearms instructor and have been licensed as such by the State of Tennessee for 15 years. Both of us are business owners in Nashville. I am also a merchant, President of my Neighborhood Association, and some even call me a community leader.

First I want to thank you all for your service on our cities council. However there is something that is bothering me greatly. As most of you know the state legislature overwhelmingly passed into law bills that will allow Handgun Permit holders the right to carry into State and local parks.

This bill BL2009-489 prohibiting this, is scheduled for 1st reading on this Tuesday June 16th. I would like to point out this is a right given by our legislature.. and it is the will of the people... I know for a fact that peoples of every race, creed, and ethnic background in Nashville have carry permits and deserves to be protected from criminals. This isn't about where kids or children are playing its about preventing crime. Its about having the ability to protect those children. Permit holders have been carrying for 15 years all over the state including shopping malls and toy stores and have had no problems.

How many crimes are committed against the public in parks right now? Would any of you feel safe walking or spending time in these parks alone? How about on that dark walking/running track early in the morning before work? How many robberies, rapes, and attacks occur there. How about golf courses? As a council member you need the correct information in front of you before making this decision. Will you ask for the stats from the Metro Nashville Police Dept of how many calls to service they have going to the Metro Parks? How many sex offenders and rapist have been arrested in our parks? You will need the factual data, not just a police chief spewing lies while playing politics.

I'd also like to point out that "carry in parks" legislation has passed on the Federal and our State level... as well as many other states...so there is obviously a need for it, why prohibit the safety of Nashvillians by permitting this council bill to pass. Criminals are not going to pay any attention to any law, nor abide by this one. This will only make it easier for them to victimize our citizens.

BILL NO. BL2009-489 (Maynard, Barry)

An ordinance prohibiting handguns within Metropolitan Government parks, and amending Section 13.24.440 of the Metropolitan Code pertaining to the prohibition against firearms within parks.

Also while your at it please ask the council sponsors to follow through and kill this illegal legislation on the same night.

BILL NO. BL2009-483 (Tygard, Barry & others)

An ordinance amending Chapter 7.08 of the Metropolitan Code to prohibit firearms in any establishment with an on-premises beer permit.

In closing please don't take part in any attempt to deny us our rights that God, our Constitution, and our State Legislature have granted us as Tennesseans.

VOTE NO on BL2009-489!!!!

The people dont want it.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Phillip Arrington

Goodlettsville, Tn 37072

615-*******

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I thought the "beer permit veto" was being withdrawn... Is this a new attempt?

Me too - can anyone clarfiy/verify this?

Guest HexHead
supposed to be... but "supposed too's" doesnt mean they will.

It appears the State legislature is closing that loophole for good.

Guest HexHead
Sent mine to the entire council

I've been out of the loop for a couple of days. What have they done?

From the Commercial Appeal....

In return, Nicely said, Gov. Phil Bredesen will not veto another bill that lawmakers are about to send him to ensure that local governments will not be allowed to impose local bans on gun permit holders carrying their firearms into bars and restaurants serving alcohol.
In the House floor session today, Nicely moved to recall the parks bill from the governor's desk, and although a handful of members objected, the House agreed to the recall.

"I did it as a favor for Rep. Curry Todd," Nicely said of the Collierville Republican who sponsored the guns-in-restaurants bill. "It appears the way restaurant carry bill was passed, the local beer boards could pass legislation to prevent (restaurants) from getting a beer licenes unless you agreed not to allow guns in your restaurant.

"So we're going to have to amend another bill to take care of that. And the governor had threaded to veto that. If he vetoed that, we couldn't override the veto until we come back in January, and then the municipalites would have all summer to do that before we get back. So some of the senators made an agreement with the governor that he won't veto these bills if we take the local parks out."

The Senate is expected to follow suit this afternoon and ask for a recall.

Guest crotalus01

CA is reporting this morning that the bill was recalled. Personally I would like to carry in parks (what little time I am in them), but I also think this is a very smart move by the house. I think its a given that ALL major metro areas were going to opt out local parks so I would rather see the restaraunt bill protected from stupid loopholes than an ordinance that is going to be largely worthless due to the opt out clause.

CA is reporting this morning that the bill was recalled. Personally I would like to carry in parks (what little time I am in them), but I also think this is a very smart move by the house. I think its a given that ALL major metro areas were going to opt out local parks so I would rather see the restaraunt bill protected from stupid loopholes than an ordinance that is going to be largely worthless due to the opt out clause.

CA has it wrong... the bill has not yet been recalled, and likely will not before midnight tonight...

OK.... WERE BACK ON THE ATTACK.... START SENDING EMAILS TO THE METRO COUNCIL!!!!

LETS MAKE THEM SHOW THEIR TRUE COLORS IF THEY WANT TO SCREW THE PEOPLE!

Need to request that some of the pro-gun council members request a roll call vote on this resolution instead of a voice vote.

Need to request that some of the pro-gun council members request a roll call vote on this resolution instead of a voice vote.

Are we talking about the Nashville Metro restaurant beer board carry thing here, or what?

If so, I thought that had been dropped, yes?

- OS

Its "supposed to be"... on Tuesday night when they introduce the anti parks carry. I simply dont trust them.

Why are they doing an anti-parks thing?

They just have to post them all.

Or you mean, they're just gonna announce the intent to do just that?

- OS