Clearance Score

Guest MCRAIG

Guest MCRAIG

The Wal-Mart in Lenoir City had a half-off clearance price sale and I scored a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 300 Weatherby for $200! Any idea as to the recoil this gun has compared to my 30-06? I have never owned a Weatherby, anything i should expect?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1shot

The vanguard is a pretty good rifle but it is NOT a Wheatherby. It is a Howa with the Wheatherby name stamped on it. Recoil? What recoil?:up: It will be more than your 30-06. $200.00 for the rifle was a steal but the $50.00 to $90.00 a box for the ammo will make up for the savings on the rifle.

Guest 70below

I love .300 Weatherby's......great round, just getting pricey these days, you can score some fair deals on it if you shop around, no more than premium ammo for other calibers. If you plan on shooting it much, you definitely want to reload. Doesn't cost more than anything else to reload. If you decide you don't want it, I'll give you back your $200 for it. :up:

My dad has an old German made 300 weatherby, its a great rifle and bagged more than one moose for him.

Guest FroggyOne2

300 Weatherby is 36 foot pounds per square inch in measured recoil.. 460 Weatherby is 110 foot pounds per square inch.. some useless facts that I seem to some how remember from back when I had a Mark V once in 300 Weatherby.

Any other clearance spottings? Was it only guns or other stuff too? Anyone else's wal mart have similar deals.

Will be on this like white on rice if it comes to my local wal-mart

I made a trip to all Wal-Marts in the Chattanooga area today and didn't spot any guns on clearance.

Guest Britestar

Having been a Howa dealer for sometime, I believe they are one of the most underated guns on the market. With a bit a minor work they can be as good as any. That was a GREAT deal!

Guest MCRAIG

No more clearance guns, but the entire red tag stuff in the store was on clearance, got some string silencers for my bow. Its a basic model, synthetic stock no open sights but for 200 bucks I didn't want to pass it up, but dang....ammo is out the butt in price. I got my reloader on Friday in the mail for Midway. I went with a Lee now just waiting on my dies and teacher so I won't blow myself up. What kinda scope would you guys recommend to put on this rifle. I have been looking at a Simmons Master Series Prohunter From Midway. And thanks for all the help and the tip about Moose, that is on my to do list to take one day along with polar bear. The guy in front of me in the line got an even better deal, he got a weather vanguard in 7mm Mag for 196 dollars out the door. And good news about the LC walmart, after the re-model in September/October they will continue to sell guns due to the demand in the area.

I would recommend going with either a Leupold VXII or Burris Fullfield II depending on how much you want to spend. You can get the Burris for 189 and the Leupold for 329 at swfa.com (the best place for scopes IMHO) Both have excellent warranties.

Guest MCRAIG

I looked it up on Midway and it reads pretty good, and is about the same price as the simmons. Now to add even more complications to my decision making process!

Damn... Just got back from my local Wally World, and they wanted $390 (marked down from $449) for their Vanguard... the one on display was chambered in .300 Weatherby as well, but the tag hanging off it noted that they also had .243 and 30-06 available (I assume at the same price). Nobody was manning the counter, or else I might have had to say "but the Lenoir City store had one for $200?!" :)

I checked with the guy over the Southeast TN region (my father works in the Hixson store...valid source) They said that that liquidations will not come to the Hamilton or surrounding counties.

...Oof - Oh Well

...aaaaaand so I cry. :)

I've been wanting to get a decent bolt gun for a while, and if one of these deals popped up in my area, I'd be all over it.

A fine rifle in a great caliber. I have a pre 64' Model 70 that started its life as a 300 magnum (H & H) and was rechambered by its then owner to 300 Weatherby. I acquired it from the deceased owner's hunting partner.

When I got the rifle, it had an original Bushnell 3x9 scope that was manufactured in Rodchester, NY. The scope had no adjustments for windage or elevation and all adjustments were made from the scope mount. I replaced the scope with a Leupold 2x7 with a Leupold one piece base and Leupold rings. They have never failed and for a magnum, the magnification is more than adequate.

I immediately began handloading for the rifle and it loves the Sierra 180 grain spitzers on a charge of IMR 4350 with magnum primers. Remington makes 300 Weathery brass and I bought 100 rounds along time ago. I also acquired with the rifle about 25 rounds of unfired Weatherby ammo and 15 empties. I'll be able to shoot the barrel out with this much brass.

The rifle has accounted for one elk (cow) and numerous whitetails. Like everything else, shot placement counts but, when you do your part whitetails drop in their tracks. I had one move on me last year at the moment of the shot. The impact was 12 inches futher back than where I had aimed and it wasn't pretty.

I like and appreciate this caliber. Its flat shooting, very accurate and best of all, its a .30 caliber. Handloading will help you achieve the rifle and the round's potential. Enjoy your great deal and buy a decent scope but, I would suggest that you not "over scope" the rifle.

...aaaaaand so I cry. :screwy:

I've been wanting to get a decent bolt gun for a while, and if one of these deals popped up in my area, I'd be all over it.

Hamilton and surrounding counties was all that this guy said was certain...Nashville is a different region and you may still want to keep your eyes peeled.

The real problems is that it is a liquidation of existing merchandise....once that Vanguard that has been sitting behind the glass for 3 years is gone they won't replenish it.

Guest 70below

I highly recommend the Nikon Prostaff series scopes. I love my 3-9x40 and all Nikon scopes have a full lifetime warranty. 3-9x40 can be had for about $150

Guest MCRAIG

Thanks for all the help guys. Midway has a whitetail classic for about 125 bucks which I think I will pick up. I checked with the management at my Wal-Mart and it was just the LC one because we had so much crap laying around. However, maybe other managers at walmarts will be like wow thats a good idea lets do it to our store. So good luck out there.

Hamilton and surrounding counties was all that this guy said was certain...Nashville is a different region and you may still want to keep your eyes peeled.

The real problems is that it is a liquidation of existing merchandise....once that Vanguard that has been sitting behind the glass for 3 years is gone they won't replenish it.

Bittersweet news I guess...

Maybe I should just talk to the sporting goods manager and see if they wanna offload any of there rifles to cut me a real deal on one, but I honestly don't know what kind of free reign they have over pricing. Meh, we'll see.

• 1 month later...
Guest billwilly73

Myself and two of my hunting buddies got Savage 110's with Synthetic stock and Simmons 8-Point scope package from Walmart for $175 plus t&t when Savage switched to the AccuTrigger, and Walmart wanted to get rid of the older ones. Between the three of us we got a .270, a 30.06, and a 7mm mag

Best new gun price I ever got. Those three guns have are responsible for some good times.