Discussion on posted restaurants

GREAT NEWS!!!!!! BAR-B-CUTIE ON DONELSON PIKE (NASHVILLE TN) JUST TOOK DOWN THE "NO GUNS ALLOWED" SIGN!!!! I walked in and talked with one of the servers and she said that the Manager decided to take it down because of all the info she was getting from people like us through calls, emails & letters! I am so HAPPY! I freak'in LOVE Bar-B-Cutie's food and I was heartbroken when they posted so......all of you guys need to please contact this manager and let her know how much you appreciate her taking the sign down. We need to get out there and give her our business to show our support of her supporting us! :confused:

Rays ESG on Kingston Pike in Knoxville has the Gun/Circle Slash/ No Guns/ Gun Free Zone sign in the window next to the front door.

The Gun Free Zone thing actually kind of skeeved me out.

Glad I was there on business only.

Guest tnmom2amk

Saw online this morning:

Ruling lets guns go into bars | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Ruling lets guns go into bars

Worried restaurant owners will screen customers at door

By Michael Cass • THE TENNESSEAN • July 14, 2009

If you go to Tootsie's Orchid Lounge this weekend, plan on being frisked with a metal-detecting wandbefore you walk through the doors.

That is one of the measures local restaurant owners are planning to take to prepare for a new law allowing guns in Tennessee restaurants and bars unless owners opt out and ban firearms in their establishments. The law took effect at midnight after a Davidson County chancellor denied a request to issue an injunction as part of a legal challenge presented Monday.

Chancellor Claudia Bonnyman said she saw some potential in the claims made by Sunset Grill owner Randy Rayburn and other plaintiffs, who are suing the state on grounds that the law is unconstitutional. A full hearing on the merits of the case will be held within 90 days.

But on Monday Bonnyman said the plaintiffs didn't prove they would suffer irreparable harm from the law's implementation at midnight, so she rejected their request for an injunction.

"Injunctions are not issued merely to relieve fears and apprehension," she said.

But Rayburn, who also owns Midtown Cafe and Cabana, said posting signs to say guns aren't allowed in his restaurants "solves nothing," though he plans to do it anyway.

"The posting is the act of declaring that we are inherently providing a safe place that is gun-free," he said. "We are under strict liability to provide that to our customers and our employees because we are holding out that this is a gun-free environment, when in fact permit holders have been telling us that they've been entering establishments for years that serve alcohol.

"I will post (signs) no matter what, because it's my effort and intention to do everything possible to protect our employees and our customers."

At Tootsie's, owner Steve Smith plans to go a step further. He started looking Monday for two metal-detecting wands that the honky-tonk's security staff can wield at the two entrances. Smith said the devices, which he expects to set him back at least $2,000, should be in place by the weekend.

"We don't want legal guns or illegal guns here," said Smith, who is also a co-owner of Rippy's on the other side of Lower Broadway. "The only person we feel safe with a firearm in here is a police officer."

Smith said he also plans to post signs at the two restaurants today.

The "no guns allowed" signs will be a turnoff for Nikki Goeser. Her husband, Ben, 49, was gunned down in front of her at a sports bar and restaurant on Nolensville Road on April 2.

Had she and other handgun carry permit holders been allowed to have their guns on them that night, they could have stopped the shooter, Goeser said after the court hearing Monday.

"You're in immediate danger when you put up a sign telling every criminal that this is an establishment where no one can defend themselves," she said.

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, said his organization is encouraging handgun carry permit holders to carry something else as well: cards that say, "I Only Support Businesses That Honor My Constitutional Rights." The back of each card says permit holders have no felony convictions, have passed FBI background checks and have no history of mental illness or addiction.

"We have approximately a 90-day window to see if permit holders create the kinds of risks that have been predicted or not," Harris said.

Rayburn, his attorneys and fellow plaintiffs contend that the new law will put public safety at risk and create confusion for permit holders, other patrons and even police officers.

Serpas files brief

Metro police Chief Ronal Serpas filed a friend-of-the-court brief to that effect Monday.

David Randolph Smith, one of the plaintiffs' attorneys, said Bonnyman's ruling was "not unanticipated." Smith said he was pleased that Bonnyman said his argument that the law is unconstitutionally vague deserves further debate.

Guest db99wj

Sad news for me.

Drove by Huey's on Poplar in East Memphis, they are posted. It is a half of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 X 5.5) on the front doors. It has the circle slash with gun and then the pursuant to......verbiage below.

Guest db99wj

Huey's, the Poplar East Memphis location is posted.

It is a half of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 X 5.5) on the front doors. It has the circle slash with gun and then the pursuant to......verbiage below.

Huey's, the Poplar East Memphis location is posted.

It is a half of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 X 5.5) on the front doors. It has the circle slash with gun and then the pursuant to......verbiage below.

Since the "Tennessee Hospitality Association" says that eighty-three percent of its members are going to post, I am beginning to think that the THA's membership consists mostly of family-owned or small business restaurants. There is no membership list on their website, but I base this on the fact that the site touts that joining them also brings automatic membership in the National Restaurant Association.

Chain restaurants don't seem to be posting much (yet), and perhaps they are already members of the NRA (not the Second-Amendment one) at the corporate level. Since the new Tennessee law is already in effect in most other states where they already operate, the chains may not be caring much--it's business as usual for them.

Guest HexHead
Since the "Tennessee Hospitality Association" says that eighty-three percent of its members are going to post, I am beginning to think that the THA's membership consists mostly of family-owned or small business restaurants.

Chain restaurants don't seem to be posting much. Since the new Tennessee law is already in effect in most other states where they already operate, the chains may not be caring much--it's business as usual for them.

I've been thinking that myself, that we're only going to see some of the locally owned places post.

Guest db99wj
I've been thinking that myself, that we're only going to see some of the locally owned places post.

I'm getting that feeling as well. I'm sure they are getting all sorts of propoganda items from them as well. "This is evil" "We are fighting for your safety" "Pay us more money".

That is a shame, I would rather go to a mom and pop, local type establishment.......but I don't have too.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I went to Raffertys in Jackson tonight and being a good citizen and so close to the 14th that I disarmed before I went in. There are no signs yet and really don't think there will be(???). Anyway as I was sitting there eating I noticed this man get up to go to the restroom and he was OCing. Later he stood over by the railing waiting on someone before they left. I don't know if he had his dates mixed up or just didn't care.

Honestly, I think there is a very small percentage of the total TN population that gives a hoot either way. The 250K+ HCP holders, then about that same number of people who just hate guns. the rest of the state IMO doesn't give a rats butt when the see somebody carrying a gun in a holster in public. They most likely just think its a cop and go about their business. I am not making a case for OC, I am just saying that the majority of people really don't care either way.

Since the "Tennessee Hospitality Association" says that eighty-three percent of its members are going to post. ...

I'm not sure who the THA represents, but I did a little local scouting earlier today. Quoting myself from another thread...

I checked out about 35 establishments in JC looking for postings on the doors or immediately inside. Now, it's certainly possible that I missed one or two along the way, but I'm pretty confident that of those 35 only 2 were posted with "No guns" signs. These places were somewhat randomly selected and included some that serve alcohol and some that do not, some small local places and some big chains, some with very liberal owners and some with very conservative. I really tried to include a wide variety of places.

At least a couple of these locations are even owned by people who have stated publicly that they oppose handgun carry in restaurants - yet they were not currently posted. So, at least for the moment, there doesn't appear to be a rush by restaurateurs in JC to prohibit carry.

FWIW, both places posted were local establishments that are closer to beer joints that restaurants, but that I believe would meet the criteria as a restaurant as defined by the state law.

Guest db99wj
I'm not sure who the THA represents, but I did a little local scouting earlier today. Quoting myself from another thread...

FWIW, both places posted were local establishments that are closer to beer joints that restaurants, but that I believe would meet the criteria as a restaurant as defined by the state law.

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (AP) - Patrons headed to a Johnson City sports bar will be handed water pistols on the first day when state law allows guns in bars.

Dan Numan said the gimmick is a facetious protest of the new statute, which he called "ignorant."

The first 100 people who visit Numan's Cafe and Sports Bar on Tuesday will be offered the water pistols. A massive water gun fight was anticipated.

Numan said he and several other restaurant owners in the city intend to post signs, as allowed by the legislation, that lets them opt out of permitting real handguns in their establishments.

Information from: Johnson City Press, http://www.johnsoncitypress.com

:poop:

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (AP) - Patrons headed to a Johnson City sports bar will be handed water pistols on the first day when state law allows guns in bars.

Dan Numan said the gimmick is a facetious protest of the new statute, which he called "ignorant."

The first 100 people who visit Numan's Cafe and Sports Bar on Tuesday will be offered the water pistols. A massive water gun fight was anticipated.

Numan said he and several other restaurant owners in the city intend to post signs, as allowed by the legislation, that lets them opt out of permitting real handguns in their establishments.

Information from: Johnson City Press, http://www.johnsoncitypress.com

:poop:

Yup, that was one of the two. The other was the Mecca Cafe - and the term cafe seems to be used lightly. I found a description online...

Mecca Cafe - Think of Mecca Cafe as a guaranteed hangover. And we mean that in the best possible way. Located at 101 Buffalo St, it's open all night, so it's a pretty good bet that you're going to be feeling it the next morning. Enjoy the late-night debauchery, but drink lots of water and pop some Advil.
Since the "Tennessee Hospitality Association" says that eighty-three percent of its members are going to post, I am beginning to think that the THA's membership consists mostly of family-owned or small business restaurants. There is no membership list on their website, but I base this on the fact that the site touts that joining them also brings automatic membership in the National Restaurant Association.

Chain restaurants don't seem to be posting much (yet), and perhaps they are already members of the NRA (not the Second-Amendment one) at the corporate level. Since the new Tennessee law is already in effect in most other states where they already operate, the chains may not be caring much--it's business as usual for them.

A very small fraction of restaurants are a member of THA, including both locally owned and chain restaurants...

It would be like us saying every gun owner is a member of the NRA, when we know only a small fraction are.

HOOTERS POSTED

Hooters in Hermitage POSTED. Guys...we need to get some "polite but to the point" calls out there to let them know how we feel. Be nice but let them know they are NOT getting our business! :tough: And to think I was actually thinking about being a Hooters Girl!........Joke.

4119 Lebanon Pike Hermitage, TN 37076

• Phone (615) 883-0257

My biggest problem with not being able to carry in restaurants is after I leave the restaurant. A lot of good places to eat and things to see in down town Ktown but I am not going to be on Gay St. at night unarmed.

Guest HexHead
Honestly, I think there is a very small percentage of the total TN population that gives a hoot either way. The 250K+ HCP holders, then about that same number of people who just hate guns. the rest of the state IMO doesn't give a rats butt when the see somebody carrying a gun in a holster in public. They most likely just think its a cop and go about their business. I am not making a case for OC, I am just saying that the majority of people really don't care either way.

Not only do I think you're right, but I'd say those passionately against us are probably a much smaller number than we are. They just have more experience being a pain in the ass.

Guest db99wj

You beat me to this, I just posted something similar in the Ruby Tuesday thread.

Guest Hunter62

Watching the news today it is sad to see it all one sided. I also hear that the Memphis Restaurant Association has printed out tons of stickers, from the looks of it, they are not the correct signs for legally keeping people out. It lacks the verbage that is required.

Guest db99wj
Watching the news today it is sad to see it all one sided. I also hear that the Memphis Restaurant Association has printed out tons of stickers, from the looks of it, they are not the correct signs for legally keeping people out. It lacks the verbage that is required.

You watching WMCTV 5? Just saw that report, they are using Fast Signs to print the circle/.slash signs. The local rep for the restaurant association is the owner of Patricks. (Mike Miller) his signs are ok, he has the circle with the "pursuant to ....."

Guest Hunter62
You watching WMCTV 5? Just saw that report, they are using Fast Signs to print the circle/.slash signs. The local rep for the restaurant association is the owner of Patricks. (Mike Miller) his signs are ok, he has the circle with the "pursuant to ....."

I was flipping between 5 and 3, both seemed to be one sided. Patricks is another place I frequent ($1 beer nights, how can you go wrong). I am very quickly running out of places to eat and drink.

Obviously when I am going out to drink, I would not be carrying, but it is more principle then anything.

Guest LEXtoWRX

Well seems to be no signs posted here in oakland. But then again only a hand full of restaurants here.

Also if you decide to carry into a "non-compliant sign" restaurant cover it and keep quiet. They may not know there sign is "non-compliant".

Edited by LEXtoWRX