Best materials for home when disaster strikes?

Guest walkingdeadman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

I got about a case and a half of MRE's. As far as water I got a 65 gallon hot water tank that rotates the water ever time I take a bath shower or do the dishes. It is already clean and I dont have to worry about it going bad for a few days. It also have a couple of gallons in the lines going up to the solar panel on the roof so I figure 68 gallons of water that is already stored in an appliance and wont take up any extra space. Got colemen stove with at least one gallon of fuel and plenty of TP. I could go a week with no eletricty easy.

Guest 22-rimfire

I always wrote off the refrigerator and freezer if disaster stikes (aka no electricity), but you could pretty easily keep things frozen with periodic use of a generator, but I would quickly use up things like milk and perishable items.

It's good to make some preparation for a disaster. I think a week is a reasonable amount of time to prepare for, but 30-days would be a lot better. Water is a problem in the long haul even if you have lots of canned goods or other storable food items.

• 3 weeks later...

In my quest to compare Sam's and Costco, I came across several disaster kits, food kits at Costco.

I mentioned this to my wife and she is agreed. I already have a disaster kit with medical, water, safety stuff, one of those corporate disaster kits, but not much food. Need to be adding some food to my kit.

Really not worried about tornado's or even flooding here in Memphis, not saying that they won't happen, but those are short lived and somewhat isolated events. Also not saying not be prepared for a few days or a week without assistance in those scenarios. What I want to be prepared for is an earthquake. Not if, but when, the New Madrid fault gets pissed off and moves again, we are screwed in Memphis. All transporation, in and out, of Memphis will be cut, you can't get in, or out of Memphis without crossing a river or major creek (Wolf, Mississippi, Loosahatcie, Nonconha Creek), there will be many casualties, there will be unprepared folks roaming around looking to score food, water, tv's etc until services can be offered. There will be no protection due to the pure size of the area, lack of people, the ones that are there to help, will first have to secure there own. So a week without outside contact is probable, then several weeks before things to get completely organized. Yes there will be food lines, there will be supply lines, there will be medical lines. The first priority is the injured and search and rescue, all other services will slowly be provided.

Here are some of the products at Costco.

Costco - Food For Health? Emergency Food Kit

Basic preparation will impact the probability of your family’s survival in an emergency. Delicious and easy to prepare. Each bucket contains 275 servings of pre-mixed and pre-seasoned 100% vegetarian and vitamin fortified food. With a 20 year long shelf life, this kit is perfect for the preparation of natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes or even for a camping or hunting trip.

• Easy to Prepare
  • Must have water and a heat source
  • 275 Servings
  • All Meals 100% Vegetarian and Vitamin Fortified
  • Sealed in convenient Weather-Proof bucket for easy transport
  • 25 Servings - Potato Soup
  • 30 Servings - Corn Chowder
  • 25 Servings - Cacciatore
  • 25 Servings - Western Stew
  • 30 Servings - Country Noodle
  • 25 Servings - Rice Lentil
  • 45 Servings - Whey Milk
  • 40 Servings - Blueberry Pancake
  • 30 Servings - Barley Vegetable
  • Total Weight: 23 lbs.

The Date of Manufacturing is printed on each individual packet. The Expiration Date for all the food is printed on a sticker on the outside of the bucket.

For best taste and nutritional value, use product before:

20 years of manufacturing date when stored at 60° F (16.6° C)

10 years of manufacturing date when stored at 70° F (21.1° C)

Got to have a water/heat source, I hope my grill makes it, propane. Need to get an additional tank, interchange them as they run out so that I always have two. If damaged, can't use, I can cut wood, and cook on fire. All above for $85. Rationing, that could last awhile, and for a larger family, get 2.

Or 6 month supply for family of 4, expensive at $2,000!

Costco - Shelf Reliance THRIVE 6 Month 4-Person Food Supply

Shelf Reliance is known for providing unsurpassed quality in all of its products and their line of food storage is no different. THRIVE Food Storage is a premium name you can trust. Every THRIVE product has been carefully selected based on taste and quality, and we are confident that you will look forward to using THRIVE in your everyday meal planning and emergency food storage.

The THRIVE 6 Month-4 Person Variety Pack was designed to sustain a family of four for 6 months, or a family of two for 12 months. This pack provides you with a variety of quality foods that are great tasting, high in nutrition and offer maximum shelf life. Food storage has never been so easy or delicious!

• Shipment arrives in 27 separate boxes
  • Freeze-dried products have up to 20 year shelf life if unopened
  • Dehydrated products have up to 10 year shelf life if unopened
  • Shelf life varies per can/product (see individual cans for optimum shelf life suggestions)
  • 9,438 total servings
  • 6 month supply for a family of 4 or 12 month supply for a family of 2
  • Easy rehydration instructions and useful tips on each can

This THRIVE 6 Month-4 Person Food Supply contains 156 #10 (gallon size) cans. See below for specific package contents.

Grains

• 6 Cans of Instant White Rice (48 servings per can)
  • 18 Cans of Hard White Winter Wheat (44 servings per can)
  • 1 Wheat Grinder
  • 6 Cans of Spaghetti (32 servings per can)

Vegetables

• 12 Cans of Potato Chunks (42 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Freeze-Dried Sweet Corn (54 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Freeze-Dried Peas (41 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Freeze-Dried Onions (50 servings per can)
  • 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Cauliflower (43 servings per can)
  • 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Broccoli (47 servings per can)

Fruits

• 6 Cans of Organic Apple Slices (17 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Freeze-Dried Strawberries (43 servings per can)
  • 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Blueberries (50 servings per can)
  • 3 Cans of Freeze-Dried Raspberries (48 servings per can)

Dairy

• 6 Cans of Instant Milk (65 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Chocolate Drink Mix (65 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Cheese Blend (36 servings per can)

Proteins/Beans

• The taste and texture of TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) is consistent with real meat, making it a great addition to vegetarian diets
  • 12 Cans of Bacon TVP (54 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Beef TVP (44 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Chicken TVP (45 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Pinto Beans (49 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Lentils (52 servings per can)
  • 6 Cans of Taco TVP (42 servings per can)
  • 12 Cans of Whole Eggs (236 servings per can)

Must add ammo! The zombies of Memphis will be lurking, must protect family and food and shelter. 5.56, .40 cal and 12 gauge.

Edited by db99wj
obviously I am only worried about the disasters that can happen in my area, suh der da der.

suh der da der.. thats a long list! Lots of CRAP can happen in Cleveland! You might want to tell us which or what disaster(s) in particular you are assembling materials for:

• Severe Storms? Fire prevention from lightning strikes.
  • Tornado? Cleveland is in the highest risk area for tornadoes. Preventative and Rebuilding materials and First Aid is big here.
  • Floods? Happening right now. Lack of civil services.. waterborne illness, etc.
  • Epidemic? It can happen. Dr. Oz says have 2 weeks food & water at home.. I say alot more than that...
  • Wildfires? Remember the Bugaboo Scrub fire? Not far from you...
  • Snowstorm? Freezing cold, no power, phone, transportation?
  • Earthquake? Low damage probability for your area.. but New Madrid aint that far away..
  • Contamination? You're 80 miles from Oak Ridge.. do you have an NBC kit?
  • Civil unrest? They may not be zombies, but your neighbors can get downright nasty when pushed to their limits. The Nashville Gas fiasco of 2008 was very strange weekend. What if it lasted for 2 months?
  • ELE event? Asteroids, Super Volcanoes.. better start praying!

suh der da der.. thats a long list! Lots of CRAP can happen in Cleveland! You might want to tell us which or what disaster(s) in particular you are assembling materials for:

• Severe Storms? Fire prevention from lightning strikes.
  • Tornado? Cleveland is in the highest risk area for tornadoes. Preventative and Rebuilding materials and First Aid is big here.
  • Floods? Happening right now. Lack of civil services.. waterborne illness, etc.
  • Epidemic? It can happen. Dr. Oz says have 2 weeks food & water at home.. I say alot more than that...
  • Wildfires? Remember the Bugaboo Scrub fire? Not far from you...
  • Snowstorm? Freezing cold, no power, phone, transportation?
  • Earthquake? Low damage probability for your area.. but New Madrid aint that far away..
  • Contamination? You're 80 miles from Oak Ridge.. do you have an NBC kit?
  • Civil unrest? They may not be zombies, but your neighbors can get downright nasty when pushed to their limits. The Nashville Gas fiasco of 2008 was very strange weekend. What if it lasted for 2 months?
  • ELE event? Asteroids, Super Volcanoes.. better start praying!

I would prepare for

D. All of the Above

List your materials, I am building a kit myself soon...

Start with the basics and build on it from there. Ready.gov has some decent info on their site about putting together kits that will meet your individual needs and making a plan in case you are faced with a disaster. Another thing worth checking out is the Are you Ready guide from FEMA. Of course since these are both from the government they won't cover potential self-defense needs/preperations for civil unrest, riots and such.