Best materials for home when disaster strikes?

Guest walkingdeadman

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be more specific. but i assume you are talking about a stay-in bag in case of hurricane katrina in TN?

in that case, i say just keep stocked up on canned or non-perishable foods, a few gllons of water, have a electric generator, about 10-15 gallons of gas on hand at all times, 1 sidearm w/ ammo, 1 HDR (home defense rifle) w/ ammo.

Guest 3pugguy

some of my ideas/prep:

Fuel up all vehicles (see note below on generator fuel), Another good reason to fuel up if running low on the way home from work/evening rather than thinking, oh, I'll get it done tomorrow (Navy ships refuel prior to port calls for a reason).

Water - gallon per person per day (Cheaper than Dirt has some good kits for water purification; about 20 bucks for device that will handle 50 gallons). Bathtub is a good storage and there are "bladders" on the market (or a big old trash can - used only for that purpose of course, filled before the projected tornado, etc)

Canned food for 3 days minimum

Flashlight(s)/spare batteries

First aid kit

medicine supply for Rx - good idea to not wait until last mintue to refill just for that reason

Matches and candles

Generator (I have an 8KW stand alone; might get a transfer switch at some point) and fuel for 2-3 days (remember to put in Stabil or something in either gas or diesel) and to keep your generator battery if electric start on trickle or charged up

Personal records kept in fire/water proof safe

Radio with wx band, spare batteries and/or hand crank or solar power

Go bag with clothers for a couple of days, Cash and or credit card, and for personal papers mentioned above, the absolute must haves in a portable firebox to take along

Rally point for family members, at least 50 (best if 100) miles from home in case of evac. Can be used for family outside area to find/check on you if comm is out

Cell phone with spare battery

Regular old plug in telephone, i.e. not a cordless, to plug in and use when power is out

just a few ideas and there is a good section on this topic in the current issue of Popular Mechanics

Edited by 3pugguy
add
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TurboniumOxide

Waters gonna have to get pretty high to get me. I guess your bag depends on what you are doing that you might need a Bug out Bag.

Are you

1) Hiding from your ex-wife.

2) On the run from the man.

3) Someone is holding your wife hostage and only you can rescue her.

4) Throw in some kids to scenario #3

5) Godzilla learned to swim.

6) Zombies moved into your neighborhood and the pipe organ music just has to go.

7) Fire.

8) Gunfire.

The others will never happen, so I am going to focus on #6.

First on my list is brain deodorant. Self Explanatory. Ham transceiver stored in an aluminum sleeve. MRE. Water filtration device. iPhone. Solar Cell charger. Socks. Gum. Cash. 2 .45 handguns 6 magazines. Flashlight with red blue, Flint, Knife, reflector, chainsaw, thinsulate bag, multitool. AR-15 8 mags. Mini binocs. and my butler.

Edited by TurboniumOxide
  • 3 weeks later...
earthquakes....tornados......come on seriously.

Yeah guys come on! Everyone knows that Tennessee has never had a tornado!!! And I'm sure that fault line underneath Realfoot Lake should be fine for the next hundred thousand years or so.

Now those damn zombies, they'll be here any minute now! ;)

Buk

Guest H0TSH0T
Yeah guys come on! Everyone knows that Tennessee has never had a tornado!!! And I'm sure that fault line underneath Realfoot Lake should be fine for the next hundred thousand years or so.

Now those damn zombies, they'll be here any minute now! :rolleyes:

Buk

sorry by we do one hit Kimble TN last year if flooded there the two years before that, so we do have Tennessee Trailer Park Twisters.

I did some work on a damaged home down the road after the storm went through.

http://www.wdef.com/blog/photographs_from_kimball_tn_tornado/11/2007_0

Edited by H0TSH0T
Guest 22-rimfire

In the Memphis area, you also need to be concerned about the two-legged zombies. Two of the top ten worst neighborhoods for crime in the country are in Memphis.