Resigned Memphis mayor running in special election...well to be mayor

Guest SMZRU275

yeay for our NEW mayor....;)

Memphis' new mayor, A C Wharton, aims high | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Crime?

I am sitting here just looking at my very top-notch priorities; obviously public safety will be number one. That will permeate everything we do. We have already got started with our Operation Safe Community plan, but within that I am going to have a laser focused on illegal guns in the streets, particularly in the hands of juveniles.

That is just an outrage here. I was just looking at the paper this morning and saw where a 15-year-old was shot and killed. They were playing with a handgun.

We've also got tons of robberies and other sorts of horrible situations at the hands of juveniles with guns. It's at an epidemic proportion, and I am going to be proposing legislation next year that will give the courts more extended periods of time to deal with kids who are brought in on gun charges.

We will still have crime but it won't be as lethal as it is now.

And secondly, we won't have as much of it because it's the availability of a gun that turns a coward into a king when it comes to marauding in our streets.

Yeah! Clean up the streets. What a joke! This is the guy who was formerly the Chief Public Defender and one of his big accomplishments was dealing with overcrowding by letting people go.

Herenton got what he wanted in this election and Wharton will win again in two years so basically, we just got Herenton back for at least another 6 years. Yay!

MF!! I love my city and always had a problem with all of the people that gave up and moved away but now I am starting to see that there is no way to win this fight and moving away is the smartest move.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am in amazement!......

When I migrated (read car breaks down then met girl:rolleyes:) to Tenn. it was 18 yrs ago Aug.......Willie has been the Mayor of Memphis for the entire time I have lived here in Lil Memphis.

I have been shocked, appalled and just simply amazed at how this dude has run that city, I dont even live there and have known he was a whack job for years. My company did do a lot of work over there so I was in the city 5-7 days a week for about 5 years. The contractors we worked with were always talking about how bad he was, I never met anyone who said they voted for him? I could not believe he kept being voted in..It never made any sense to me, watch the city deteriorate and vote the same fool back in?

I mean Memphis isnt that far from Illionois but JeeeeeeZE.:rolleyes:

I remember well the comment he made about it was God who sent him to save and be Mayor of Memphis......What a hoot and yet he won that election also.;)

And yes at least to me it does seem he has just passed the torch......Now if New Willie would actually target IILEGAL guns and leave the rest of us alone that would be a good thing but we know that isnt the way folks like that work.

I wish the City well I really do, they really needed rid of Willie, they just are not real sure what they got yet....a New Willie or a shot at a New Memphis.

Hey, maybe New Willie will give Willie a job....?....You heard it here first;)

Guest Sgt. Joe
New Willie will push consolidation and if he succeeds, Old Willie will resume his former position of School Superintendent.

Is this not the job he had 18 yrs ago and Memphis was the worst school system in country?....Is is also not the job he tried to demand in order for him to resign in the first place?.......I'd bet he does get what ever job he wants and not much will change in that city.

On a somewhat related note.....Mr Wharton is already on the list of "Mayors against illegal guns"....He is one of only three here in TN..... Tom Beehan of Oak Ridge and David Shumaker of Bristol are also listed.

Three mayors in a state of our size isnt bad at all.....but it is three that probably need to go...I am pretty sure their idea of removing illegal guns form the streets involves more restrictions on our LEGAL guns

"Against ILLEGAL guns" is one thing.....it is the ways and means they use to try to accomplish this tasks that hurts us all...

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=254&issue=011

Is not Willie still facing charges?...or did he weasel out of them already?:doh: