Resigned Memphis mayor running in special election...well to be mayor

Guest SMZRU275

Guest SMZRU275

For those who don't know, Wille Herenton stepped down from the position of the mayor of Memphis after putting in twice for his resignation in July, he finally resiged on July 30th. (you could hear the cheers statewide). The whole story is much much more complex, he's put in several resignation throughout this term and revoked them.

Today he put in his petition to run in the special election in Oct. for the Mayor of Memphis.

Memphis Daily News - BREAKING NEWS: Herenton Pulls Petition to Run In Special Election

Herenton pulls petition to run for mayor; issues statement - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

Thursday morning, former Memphis mayor Willie Herenton pulled a petition to run in the October special mayoral election.

Herenton sent out this statement Thursday mid-day:

Citizens of Memphis:

My primary political goal is to represent the ninth congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives. I have every intention of being a congressional candidate during the August 2010 election.

However, during the interim, recent events have compelled me to step forth to provide leadership and express my sincere feelings on how our city can continue to move forward, despite our current dilemma.

My recent retirement from the office of Mayor has created this situation and I feel obligated to seek alternatives to Myron Lowery and an “anyone can win†mayoral race.

The city I love deserves better.

Therefore, I am also preparing a referendum resolution that would allow the citizens of Memphis to rescind the current charter amendment that elevated Myron Lowery to the office of Mayor Pro Tem. This resolution would prescribe limitations on the powers of a non-elected mayor.

It is clear to many citizens that my retirement from office created opportunities for Mayor Pro Tem Lowery and a puzzling list of mayoral candidates to turn our city backward. I am disappointed in Myron’s reckless style of leadership. He must be stopped.

We cannot allow Mayor Pro Tem Lowery to be elected mayor during the upcoming special election. Unfortunately, it is difficult to predict a clear winner with a complicated array of mayoral candidates in the race.

Therefore, I have pulled a petition to run in the upcoming mayoral special election.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team
is there a way to put Memphis on the other side of the Mississippi River so it could be in Arkansas?

Both states would smell better

Education levels would go up in both states

Teen pregnancies would go down in both state

It's a win-win for everybody

Guest walkingdeadman
Home prices in Bartlett, Lakeland, Arlington, Germantown, Collierville, and all of Fayette, Tipton, Desoto Counties just went up 10-25%.

+1...ha

Guest db99wj

A comment over at the comunist appeal, which is censoring people...course there are lots of derogatory descriptive words being used..

Herenton's antics are so amusing! This is a calculated stunt. The former mayor has no intention of running and will not be on the ballot by the September deadline. He is simply trying to divert attention from "Mayor" Lowery and clear the field for one of his boys, Wharton or Carpenter.

Probably a lot of truth in this statement.....I hope.

Guest SMZRU275

More goodness:

Herenton also proposed in a statement to sponsor a referendum resolution "to rescind the current charter amendment that elevated Myron Lowery to the office of Mayor Pro Tem [and] prescribe limitations on the powers of a non-elected mayor. "
Dear God ... No: UPDATE -- Official Statement from Herenton | The Daily Buzz | Memphis Flyer
Even as a stunned city was awaiting elaboration on Herenton's reasons for running to succeed himself, reactions from others were coming fast and furious. Calling Herenton’s action “outrageous,†Shelby County Election Commission chairman Bill Giannini noted, “Because of this man’s resignation we’re already going to be out a million dollars in order to hold this special election. I’m sure the voters will find that hard to forget.â€

Mayor Pro Tem Lowery “welcomes anyone who wants to run in this race,†according to Donna Davis, his spokesperson. Said Davis: “Mayor Lowery thinks it’s up to the citizens to decide. If Mayor Herenton has changed his mind [about retiring], welcome to the pack. Mayor Lowery himself is still running."

Candidate Carol Chumney's reaction was even more matter-of-fact: "We're just moving ahead with our campaign."

Shelby County Mayor A C Wharton, generally considered the front runner in the special mayoral election, had this to say via Twitter: "Tired of the drama? Show the world who YOU support for Mayor. Rally tmrrw nite," then referenced his campaign website.

Fox News 13 had reported this morning that a source close to Herenton said the former mayor knew nothing about the petition being pulled in his name. However, the Flyer subsequently learned from several sources at the Election Commission and first reported that Herenton himself picked up the petition.

Then came the issuance of Herenton's statement.

Back during the period between June 25, when Herenton announced his retirement plans and July 30, when his retirement ceremony actually occurred in the Hall of Mayors, Herenton had been notoriously evasive about when he would follow through on leaving the office.

It had largely been forgotten in the aftermath of the retirement, but mayoral intimate Sidney Chism had actually theorized during that period of uncertainty that Herenton might himself run in the special election.

More to come, as this story develops.

Guest SMZRU275
Remember how the left lambasted Palin over her being a quitter? If your local politicians did the same it could be thrown back at him in the election.

You have to really be familiar with Herenton and his 18 year reign of terror to know he gets away with it all.

There was a HUGE push to impeach him, so at his reelection he wins with 78% I believe of the vote, there was the Joseph Lee MGLW scandal he was involved in, came out clean, We have 2 major event buildings, both rotting away (one being The Pyaramid, almost sold to Bass Pro BTW, one of the "Memphis Landmarks") because of some of his and his groups doings with getting the FedEX forum built and pockets getting lined. The list could go on and on and on........

You have to really be familiar with Herenton and his 18 year reign of terror to know he gets away with it all.

There was a HUGE push to impeach him, so at his reelection he wins with 78% I believe of the vote, there was the Joseph Lee MGLW scandal he was involved in, came out clean, We have 2 major event buildings, both rotting away (one being The Pyaramid, almost sold to Bass Pro BTW, one of the "Memphis Landmarks") because of some of his and his groups doings with getting the FedEX forum built and pockets getting lined. The list could go on and on and on........

Ya, I'm not familiar with him at all, so I didn't know this.

Kansas City went through something like this during the "Pendergast Era" and it took the feds to get it straightened out...to an extent. Pendergast is the one who gave us Truman BTW.

• 2 months later...
Guest canynracer

yeay for our NEW mayor....;)

Memphis' new mayor, A C Wharton, aims high | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Crime?

I am sitting here just looking at my very top-notch priorities; obviously public safety will be number one. That will permeate everything we do. We have already got started with our Operation Safe Community plan, but within that I am going to have a laser focused on illegal guns in the streets, particularly in the hands of juveniles.

That is just an outrage here. I was just looking at the paper this morning and saw where a 15-year-old was shot and killed. They were playing with a handgun.

We've also got tons of robberies and other sorts of horrible situations at the hands of juveniles with guns. It's at an epidemic proportion, and I am going to be proposing legislation next year that will give the courts more extended periods of time to deal with kids who are brought in on gun charges.

We will still have crime but it won't be as lethal as it is now.

And secondly, we won't have as much of it because it's the availability of a gun that turns a coward into a king when it comes to marauding in our streets.