New to reloading, places to shop?

Guest SMZRU275

Guest SMZRU275

I am just getting in to reloading, just for 9mm and then .223.

I was curious on places to find primers. I know the shortage has been ridiculous, but I read reports around of peoples back orders being fulfilled, then they sell the extra at HUGE mark ups still. So some places are getting them in. Kind of like the ammo hunting.

Any suggestions on places to keep an eye out for primers?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about 1 week ahead of you and facing the same problems! But making progress slow and steady. Here are my "solutions". After a lot of phone calls and some quick trips in the car I rounded up a few thousand primers to get me started. Here is what I suggest.

Call around to gun shops and outfitters and ask. Frequented places like the Reloaders Bench and Midsouth Shooters Supply have backorders going through to 2010.. but some places like the odd gun shop and "off the beaten path" retailers have some sitting there that they never sell or just came in. Rare - but out there. Expect to pay $30-$40/1000 though.

One tip - if you find primers that may not be exactly what you are looking for, get them anyway - because you might be able to trade them later for what you want.

I have several thousand brand new small pistol magnum primers that I would gladly trade for Large Pistol if someone were so inclined and wanted to meet FTF.

FA200.jpg

Good luck.

p.s. feel like a road trip? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/spo/1296057218.html

Edited by TNTitan

Try Bass Pro in Nashville. I called down there last Thuesday (8-6-09). To my surprise they had primers! I told the guy I was talking to hold 2 boxes of small pistol and 2 boxes of large pistol primers for me. They were $29.90 a box of 1000 primers. Got 4 boxes for $130.66. I told a buddy at work the next day that Bass Pro had primers. He needed small rifle primers. When he got to Bass Pro after work, they were sold out of primers. But he got his primers. Yoy never know who is going to have any primers. So just call. gearyr

Guest imageek2

Guns & Ammo

3615 Summer Avenue,

Memphis, TN 38122

(901) 324-8346

(901) 324-9774 Fax

Phil's Gun Shop

4778 Summer Ave

Memphis, TN

(901) 681-0788

Rangemaster

2611 S Mendenhall Rd