Compare S&W Model 66 .357 to Glock 19

Guest icehead

I really want a Model 66 .357 and I'm considering trading my G19 for one. Just wanted to know if anyone has both and compare size and weight. Or just think this a bad idea. Thanks

The Model 66 will go bang each time, the Glock might ! The model 66 is a better gun to begin with as far as doing what it was made for.

You will be fine with 5 rounds.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All weapons are subject to malfunctions. That said my 14 year old G19 has went bang EVERY time. I don't have an official round count but I'm guessing over 4,000. HOWEVER, it has been limp-wristed once by a petite new shooter on her first shot. IMHO you should pick ONE and obtain all the gear you'll need to maintain, secure and train with it. I do understand your dilemna, before I bought my Glock I seriously considered several 4inch barreled 357 magnums because of their versatility.

Guest coldblackwind

Tell ya what, if you're really that interested, figure out when and where, and I'll let you shoot my 66, I'll even let you use my ammo (SOME of my ammo, lol, stuffs expensive and hard to find!). Mines 4", rather than 2 1/2", and has had a trigger job, but it will tell you what you need to know.

I really want a Model 66 .357 and I'm considering trading my G19 for one. Just wanted to know if anyone has both and compare size and weight. Or just think this a bad idea. Thanks

Apples and oranges.

66 is 6 shots of 38/357, K frame Smith and Wesson, rather heavy compared to a Glock 19

Glock 19 is a semi auto 9mm high capacity capable (15 I think)

I personally would take a Smith 66. Just my opinion. Get what you like.

Guest m4coyote

It is very common to read where revolvers go "bang" every time.

They may for some people, but I have not found this to be the case. About 10 years ago, I purchased a Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun in .44 mag. I intended to use it for protection while hiking in an area where "problem" bears were known to frequent.

Before using it for the intended purpose, I took it to the range. It went "bang" for exactly three shots, and locked up tight. I could not pull the trigger, cock the hammer, and had a very difficult time just opening the cylinder. After looking it over, I found that the recoil had caused the ejector rod to become unthreaded from the ejector, and locked the cylinder in place.

A thorough cleaning of the threads on the rod and ejector, and applying Loctite 242, has resulted in a pistol I can depend upon to protect my life.

got both, carried both

66 shoots and feels better-- it's a REAL gun, has a trigger smooth as butter

19 feels like plastic, has a plastic feeling trigger-- reminds me of my Johnny Quest .45 auto I had when I was 6 that used greenie stickum' caps

Preference to carry day in day out. The 19. The cheap plastic feel is just better for everyday duty-- lighter weight, hi-cap, and if it gets scratched up who cares? I'd care if it were my 66!