Strange Find

My son traded for a Glock 17 the other day, I broke it down to check it out and to my surprise the whole inside was covered in ANTI SEIZE! Someone was useing this as a lubricant. I've never heard of it being used for this. Had silver crap all over everything. That stuff gets everywhere. I was wondering if any of ya'll have used it for a lubricant. :rolleyes:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of it.

They "do" come from the factory with a bronze colored type of anti-seize stuff on the inside of the slide for initial break-in which goes away after awhile.

Sounds like the guy might have had some issues with the gun and that was his fix. Who knows?

Nope it was silver anti seize, and lots of it. Couldn't find any problems everything works fine. Guess it would make a pretty good lube, plenty slick enough. Just messy as hell. I use it on lug bolts, spark plugs, ect... just not on firearms

• 3 months later...

Once I traded a Mod 10 Smith to my Stepfather for a Swiss-made CZ 9mm in SS. I took it to the range and the 3rd round didn't go fully into battery but fired. The case swelled and it jammed the slide so bad I had to hammer it with a piece of wood to clear it. When I mentioned it to my SF he said "I don't understand it. I used STP to oil it when I stored it." After a THROUGH cleaning and re-oiling it has been fine. Evidently you don't use STP tp lube guns with!:pleased:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 10mm4me

In my younger days I would use 30wt engine oil as a machine gun lube and it worked awesome.Collected sand like a mofo, just don't use alot.It is common sense, if it can lube an engine it can lube much less complicated machine, a gun.The key is moderation. I would say a half q tip full of any lube is all you need for say a G17 size weapon.Most people way over lube their weapons and they get all gunked up.

??In my younger days? I would use 30wt engine oil as a machine gun lube and it worked awesome.Collected sand like a mofo, just don't use alot.It is common sense, if it can lube an engine it can lube much less complicated machine, a gun.The key is moderation. I would say a half q tip full of any lube is all you need for say a G17 size weapon.Most people way over lube their weapons and they get all gunked up.

???You OLD :drool:!!!:P:D

Guest super99gm

Anti-Sieze should never be used as a lubricant for something with repetitive motion. It works good on bolts and spark plugs, but they are not moved hundreds of times. Actually some anti-sieze is slightly abrazive.

it's amazing what you can find when you pull a part a used gun. I use a marine grade grease on my autos which a pastel green color. This stuff works great but raises eyebrows when someone pulls them apart. it is easy to see how dirty the grease is with this stuff. Before i sell one i clean it all out and just oil it so they don't ask questions or think something is wrong. Every used auto i've purchased i fire it a couple times then tear it down and give it complete cleaning. When you purchase a used auto always pull the slide off to inspect before handing over your hard earned green.

Of course if you ever purchase a gun from me i'll let you know the exact condition of it and any known problems.

Antiseeze is a new one to me.

Edited by fastbs