Car stereo time

dralarms

Ok, IU am going to have to replace my factory radio (2006 dodge with sirus) and my wifes 2006 dodge durange no sirus with new radios. The factory ones will not play our mp3 disks and she is not happy with the fact that I let her good radio go with her old durango.

I am looking for input on the indash dvd players with gps. Found this one: Dual XDVDN8190 All In-Dash Car Stereo Receivers Car Stereo Receivers and Head Units Car Audio Car Audio, Video, & GPS Navigation - Sonic Electronix# but am not sure if it's a good one.

If I was getting a plain stereo with MP3 I'd probalyl go back with the JVC she had before, but I'm trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

That one has more features than I will use but this is what I'm wanting:

dvd screen (perfer 7")

AV input for backup camera

GPS (not absolutly critical)

MP3 (an absolute must)

I do not care if it's sat radio ready, I'm fed up with sat radio, in my area it goes out more than a hooker in memphis.

Don't care about bluetooth (right now) but if it works well I might be tempted to use it, sure make it easier to drive and not have the phone stuck to my ear.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call the Crutchfield number. Tell them what car you have and what features you need, and how much you want to spend. They will walk you through your choices. The adapter is probably a kit to make a stereo fit the hole in your dash or a kit to match up your wiring harness. It's pretty simple with them, they send you diagrams and instructions etc. also live support for your install. I have done several installs with their guidance. I'm sure tyou won't have much trouble.

Call the Crutchfield number. Tell them what car you have and what features you need, and how much you want to spend. They will walk you through your choices. The adapter is probably a kit to make a stereo fit the hole in your dash or a kit to match up your wiring harness. It's pretty simple with them, they send you diagrams and instructions etc. also live support for your install. I have done several installs with their guidance. I'm sure tyou won't have much trouble.

I figured out the adapter, it's for steering wheel control which I don't have, so that won't be a problem.

Hoping to find someone here that has aftermarket user experiance with these types of units (I don't want to buy a lemon)

I tend to stay away from Dual and Jensen, some say they are fine but I like to stay with a proven product name (pioneer, sony, alpine, kenwood, clarion, etc.). I personally compare them to a saturday night special gun. Might work just fine, or might not.

a factory refurbished might be a better deal

I tend to stay away from Dual and Jensen, some say they are fine but I like to stay with a proven product name (pioneer, sony, alpine, kenwood, clarion, etc.). I personally compare them to a saturday night special gun. Might work just fine, or might not.

a factory refurbished might be a better deal

Now that is helpful info.I'll do a little more research before buying.In the mean time, any suggestions of models would be helpful.;)

A agree with nightrunner, I'd stay away from Dual.

Based on my personal experience with 2 products made by Dual, I'd pass on the one you're looking at. If it were a $29.00 product, that would be one thing, but not a chance when spending that kind of cash. I haven't really priced them, but the Dual is probably half the price of a decent brand, and it's that way for a reason.

Some things are worth spending a few extra bucks for the name brand, and electronics is one of them, IMHO.

The brands nightrunner mentioned are a good start. But I'd plan on spending about $1000 for something worth a darn. Again, I haven't priced them, so you may be able to find some a little cheaper. But that's what my memory is telling me.

Guest clsutton21

I would definitely go with Crutchfield when you order, I had to buy an adapter for my car when I wanted to use the factory stereo with an amplifier. The wiring schematics that so many charge for were shipped free with my order and they even let you call if you run into a problem. I've spent over $1000 with them and wouldn't shop anywhere else for car electronics.

The first thing you need is your DIN size. Dodges for some reason like the odd 1.5 DIN,which is probably what is in both your trucks.

For a 1.5 aftermarket replacement there are two options.

One is a single DIN unit with a flip out screen,or a 1.5 unit with a small on-face screen.

I'd go with the flip out as there are allot more options.

However, the Durangos also came with an optional double DIN navigation unit.That means that a double DIN,like Trip suggested,could also work with a factory navigation dash bezel that you can get from the dealer,and aftermarket install kit.

Edit: Yeah,here you go http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram/180363-after-market-double-din-dvd-player-and-navigation-bezel.html

Edited by strickj