MOLLE Packs

Was thinking about picking up a MOLLE pack for an emergency bug out bag to be left in my truck. I've never used one of these before, and was hoping to get some comments on them from some of the TGO locals.

Looks to me like there is a frame, the main ruck, and an assault pack, as well as other attachments like sleeping bag pack, sustainment packs, etc.

I'm not really interested in the frame. I want something that will just stay in the truck, not be too bulky and be able to flex around whatever else I'm carrying in the cargo area. Does anyone know if the shoulder straps can be attached directly to the main ruck, and just ditch the frame alltogether?

I see the assault pack configured with shoulder straps, but is that pack really big enough to carry enough items? Looks to me like it might be a little smaller than a typical backpack you might find at Wallyworld.

Any other comments?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issued MOLLE ruck sack can not be used without the frame to the best of my knowledge. You wouldnt want to either. It has no padding and no rigidity without the frame to hold its shape. The assault pack was supposed to be a three day pack and comes with a thin plastic backing along with a foam insert to help keep shape and comfort. It still isnt the greatest imo. We had blackhawk assault packs that were better and held more (I am comparing the USGI AP vs the BH AP only) just not MOLLE as it wasnt out when those packs were purchased by the unit for Kosovo.

Joe is making a bag that is very much like blackhawk's three day assault pack but it is superior IMO and costs less. I dont think its in full production yet though. It is around 100 dollars. I am not sure of the total costs on a USGI MOLLE ruck but Id imagine it is well in excess of 100.

Guest redbarron06

The great thing about MOLLE packs is that you can tailor them for your needs or for the season. A sleeping bag carrier might not besomething you want on there all the time but if you decide to take a trip to east KY this winter you toss it in the truck then if you need you can attach it to the pack for movment. I have a Camelbak BMF that I use all the time. I normally dont keep any outside pouches on it but I have every thing from water bottle carriers to ammo pouches that can be attached and moved for what I may need depending on what I am trying to do.

I thought about the RUSH bag, but I really didn't want to spend $100 bucks on a bag I'll rarely use.

Not trying to be a jerk, but you hope you'll never need your gun, but I doubt you carry a Lorcin. If you ever get to the point you need a BOB, you need something that will hold weight and be comfortable to carry from point A to B.

If you don't think so just buy a Jansport, a first aid kit, some bottled water, and protein bars and chunk it behind the seat and forget about it.

Guest redbarron06

MOLLE is just a system of webbing that is on the pack that allows for the attachment of additional pockets. MOLLE packs are made by at least 100 different manufactures. Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, Eagle, Tru-Spec, Camelbak. Just because they have a MOLLE system on them does not mean that they are durable.

See, theres the thing, I was trying to be frugal AND get something that would stand up to some abuse.

While I don't really like the way "Cheaper than Dirt" jacked prices up a while back on mags... they do have a bag that might fit your need and budget.

Click Here.

I've never owned one or know anyone who has. So i can't speak on the quality.

Personally I don't own a BOB, but do backpack some.

I guess it would depend on what you wanted the bag to do. If it's just going to sit in a trunk or in the corner and get hard use maybe once or twice in your life it might be fine.

A good place for ideas and things to carry would be Zombie Squad's Forum in the BOB Section. Members post their bags and contents for critique. Pretty interesting to see what others are using.

Not sure this helps you any though. :drool:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know what this "tactical pack" stuff is about but I do know that when I carry 60lbs of crap for 20-30 miles I like to have a backpacker's backpack. The packs themselves weigh nearly nothing and they can hold more stuff than you could imagine. The main thing is that they have hip straps and take most of the weight off your shoulders. That will keep you from hurting yourself when you have to go really far with a lot of gear.

Go to REI to try on some packs get someone there to fit you. If you can't do that, or already know how to adjust one and what you need, you should try Steep and Cheap: Oakley Puffy Jacket - Men's - $99.99 - 68% off or Spadout - Outdoor Gear.

I don't know what this "tactical pack" stuff is about but I do know that when I carry 60lbs of crap for 20-30 miles I like to have a backpacker's backpack. The packs themselves weigh nearly nothing and they can hold more stuff than you could imagine. The main thing is that they have hip straps and take most of the weight off your shoulders. That will keep you from hurting yourself when you have to go really far with a lot of gear.

Go to REI to try on some packs get someone there to fit you. If you can't do that, or already know how to adjust one and what you need, you should try Steep and Cheap: Oakley Puffy Jacket - Men's - $99.99 - 68% off or Spadout - Outdoor Gear.

Good points but two different animals - the "tactical pack" gives you durability and accessibility while the others save you weight and do carry better on long hauls.

Guest marine77
While I don't really like the way "Cheaper than Dirt" jacked prices up a while back on mags... they do have a bag that might fit your need and budget.

Click Here.

I've got a molle almost like that one, just a little bigger with more pockets

on it for my essentials for work. I'm usually away from home over night

and it works great, the only complaint i have is the buckles and all are

plastic and so they break easily.

And like Dart says, having an alice pack would be natural too, i've got one

(just didn't want to use it and wear it out).