Heinie Straight Eight's.. love em or hate em?

TNTitan

Guest Uncle Oz
I have the Taurus PT1911 and I like the heinie sights. Admittedly, I am not a sharpshooter by any means, but I able to keeps my shots in a reasonably tight area COM. I will say that I am able to obtain my sight picture faster than with standard 3 dot sights.

Be wary of strong drink, it may lead you to shoot at tax collectors.... (And miss). Lazarus Long

I recently purchased a Taurus PT 111 9mm, 300 rounds later, my only complaint, the Heine straight eight sights suck.

Forget low light conditions, I can't hit didily in daylight.

and Chrimson trace doesn't make a lazer for it yet.

Uncle Oz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Uncle Oz
I have the Taurus PT1911 and I like the heinie sights. Admittedly, I am not a sharpshooter by any means, but I able to keeps my shots in a reasonably tight area COM. I will say that I am able to obtain my sight picture faster than with standard 3 dot sights.

Be wary of strong drink, it may lead you to shoot at tax collectors.... (And miss). Lazarus Long

I recently purchased a Taurus PT 111 9mm, 300 rounds later, my only complaint, the Heine straight eight sights suck.

Forget low light conditions, I can't hit didily in daylight.

and Chrimson trace doesn't make a lazer for it yet.

Uncle Oz

That would be a GCE (gross conceptual error). The "thing" about the straight 8's is just that, make an 8 with the dots and squeeze. Close quarters trying to get home alive isn't about shooting quarter size groups dead on the POA, softball size groups within even 2 inches of the POA quickly tends to work.

I don't have a strong opinion either pro or con. I have other sights I like very much and don't worry about night sights. I'm yet to find a situation where I can ID the target and I don't have enough light to see a red/orange fiber optic front sight.

What he said. I think I like the standard 3 dot set for 6:00 hold better for true accuracy, but these serve the purpose. It took me a while to figure out why my PT145 was shooting low when I bought it. Then I saw the picture above.

Guest J.D. Skull

I've never seen this sight till this post. They are execrable!:poop: Not like the triangular sights in a thread last week. Those were outstanding. Someone will know the name of said sights hopefully, but sadly I've forgot.

I just got a new Taurus PT140 Pro with the Heine sights and I don`t like them. I have Bells Palsey and I have to shoot with both eyes open and I have a hard time seeing the rear sight. I just aline the front dot up with the slot in the reat sight. Beginning to get use to them but my change them later.

Guest BungieCord

Vertical 2-dot sights work better for some people. I bought a Kahr that was my first pistol with vertical 2-dots and I couldn't believe how much more intuitively I was able to adjust the sight picture. So I put Straight-8s on everything I own they make them for. Then I discovered XS Big Dots. Now I'm in the process of swapping out all the Heinies for Big Dots.