President Drops Interceptor Missile Plan

Guest SUNTZU

U.S. backs away from missile shield in Europe | Reuters

PRAGUE/WARSAW (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama has told east European states he is backing away from plans for an anti-missile shield there, in a move that may ease Russian-U.S. ties but fuel fears of resurgent Kremlin influence.

Russia said it would welcome abandonment of the plans, which have been a major source of Russian-U.S. tensions.

And on an historic date to boot. Poland must be overjoyed.

Soviet invasion of Poland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1939 Soviet invasion of Poland was a military operation that started without a formal declaration of war on 17 September 1939...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21

Well I'm for the missile defense system...but not for the consequences from Russia if we do put it into place. Is anyone out there really looking for another Cold War?

Well I'm for the missile defense system...but not for the consequences from Russia if we do put it into place. Is anyone out there really looking for another Cold War?

You assume that the MD is proactive. The MD is there for Iran and to protect our allies from Russian aggression, ala Georgia. If Russian really wants to play games they will destroy what little economy they have and give ours a chance to explode - in a good way..

Guest clsutton21
You assume that the MD is proactive. The MD is there for Iran and to protect our allies from Russian aggression, ala Georgia. If Russian really wants to play games they will destroy what little economy they have and give ours a chance to explode - in a good way..

I'm not assuming that it's proactive. I've read it from the Russian PoV and that is what they assume.

I'm not assuming that it's proactive. I've read it from the Russian PoV and that is what they assume.

What POV? They've been loading up the borders for a while. Their missles are still active and in place, their bombers are starting long range cold war flyovers again, and their naval systems (especially subs) are conducting manuevers just off our coast (in international waters). The only ones who have backed off this this thing is us.

Guest clsutton21
What POV? They've been loading up the borders for a while. Their missles are still active and in place, their bombers are starting long range cold war flyovers again, and their naval systems (especially subs) are conducting manuevers just off our coast (in international waters). The only ones who have backed off this this thing is us.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not looking to debate this here...let me help you.

1. I'm for the missile defense system.
  2. I understand that you are, too.
  3. Russia has threatened war if we build.
  4. I don't want another war.
  5. You shouldn't either.
  6. Russia thinks that our missile defenses would be used to attack them.
  7. You would feel the same way if Russia was installing missile defense systems in Central or South America.

I think you're missing my point. I'm not looking to debate this here...let me help you.

5. You shouldn't either.
  7. You would feel the same way if Russia was installing missile defense systems in Central or South America.

Kinda like bombers in South America, subs off our coast and tailing American ships in International water, threatening and invading allies, actively aiding countries we are at war with?

Bullies and aggressors understand only strength in response. If you haven't learned that from Iraq Wars,The Middle East, Korean War, WWI, WWII, Balkans, North Korea, China .............................. then my friend you live in a bubble.

We won the Cold War by capitalizing on their weakness after they spent 10 years in Afghanistan and by our running up a deficit to outspend them in military buildup.

Well, we've been in Afghanistan for 8 years now, and we've already about maxed out our deficit so there won't be another military buildup. We've already cancelled the remainder of the F-22 program, the one fighter that could guarantee us air superiority over the Russians.

Those that fail to study history are doomed to repeat it. Only this time, the shoe's on the other foot. I guess Obama was too busy "organizing" to pay much attention to history?

I doubt the Condemner-in-Chief would stand up to Russia. Until we get someone in the White House that believes in America I'd rather not make the motions just to back down when push came to shove.

And they have good reason to believe that the so called missile shield will be directed not at Iran, but at them.

Kinda like bombers in South America, subs off our coast and tailing American ships in International water, threatening and invading allies, actively aiding countries we are at war with?

and we have done the same or similar things to them.

Guest Ralph G. Briscoe

5. You shouldn't either.

Well stated.

Some important facts--We are not abandoning the missile defense shield but moving to a ship-based system. There will also be systems in some European countries. I understand we have gotten valuable concessions from the Russians in exchange....access to Afghanistan through their territory and access to an oil pipeline they control. We have avoided a costly arms race--(they build more missiles to counteract the shield, we build more anti-missiles.)

And they have good reason to believe that the so called missile shield will be directed not at Iran, but at them.
and we have done the same or similar things to them.
Well stated.

Some important facts--We are not abandoning the missile defense shield but moving to a ship-based system. There will also be systems in some European countries. I understand we have gotten valuable concessions from the Russians in exchange....access to Afghanistan through their territory and access to an oil pipeline they control. We have avoided a costly arms race--(they build more missiles to counteract the shield, we build more anti-missiles.)

Seems like we've had this debate before. I wonder how that turned out the first go around? :D