Union Square, Manhattan: a 60-Minute Creative Assignment

DavidCBaker

I was breaking in a new lens and decided to use NYC as a backdrop. If you can't find interesting people shots in Manhattan, it's best to hang up the spurs and call it a day!

But this time, I gave myself the creative assignment of 60 minutes (no less or more), all within the confines of Union Square (14th and Park Ave). That sort of assignment makes things interesting for me because I have to concentrate and look at everything through a camera. I don't know exactly what the actual proportion is, but i've always felt it's close to one-fourth equipment, one-fourth technical understanding, one-fourth vision, and one-fourth guts. Yes, on that latter point, two folks screamed at me. I'll point that out later.

With this first one, I like the movement: where his left foot is pointing, how his arms are parallel to each other, and the funny contortion of his mouth.

unionsquare01.jpg

unionsquare02.jpg

This may be my favorite. I took a shot of him from the side, and it was missing some interest factor. So I decided to shoot him from far away and flatten the perspective.

unionsquare03.jpg

Just nice framing on this one. The fact that he's wearing gloves and that "dog collar" makes it more complex.

unionsquare04.jpg

I wonder what he's thinking about.

unionsquare05.jpg

This is the woman who screamed at me. I think she was a Gypsy with some mental issues. Anyway, two people then ran over and separately told me to keep shooting all I wanted and that if she didn't want to be in a picture then she shouldn't be in a park.

unionsquare06.jpg

unionsquare07.jpg

unionsquare08.jpg

unionsquare09.jpg

How could I not get this beard.

unionsquare10.jpg

The contrast between his attire and his "luggage" was a little striking.

unionsquare11.jpg

This girl was just standing in one place and singing.

unionsquare12.jpg

Kids, kids, kids. This one was joining every group having fun, under the watchful eye of her mother.

unionsquare13.jpg

She looks very happy. Unlike all the other subjects, I couldn't choose between the two.

unionsquare14.jpg

unionsquare15.jpg

I blew this one technically, and it's a shame. It could have been one of the best.

unionsquare16.jpg

unionsquare17.jpg

unionsquare18.jpg

When I "saw" this picture, the first thing I wanted to do was to frame it without his head. It's so much more interesting with the arms/hands sprawled the way they are, her on his lap, and her arm peeking out on the left side.

unionsquare19.jpg

unionsquare20.jpg

I don't have an angled viewfinder for this camera so I have to be sneaky. She caught me being sneaky, so I decided just to point it right at her and quit pretending I wasn't taking her picture. She has an interesting, smug little look on her face, accented by the crossed arms.

unionsquare21.jpg

I really like this one. The big patches of black, light brown, and burgundy are nearly covering him up. It's like he's a hanger and everything is draped across him.

unionsquare22.jpg

Colorful woman eating colorful sushi.

unionsquare23.jpg

All black with a yellow contrasting book.

unionsquare24.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of them:

unionsquare25.jpg

This guy could have been a model:

unionsquare26.jpg

The ultimate urban cowboy. Notice the cowboy hat insignia on the bag. I wish I'd seen him earlier so that I could catch his face better.

unionsquare27.jpg

No need for political comments, here. The color was breathtaking.

unionsquare28.jpg

Another one that I decided to take directly.

unionsquare29.jpg

unionsquare30.jpg

unionsquare31.jpg

Check out the rouge…and the ring.

unionsquare32.jpg

Love the yellow and green matching.

unionsquare33.jpg

unionsquare34.jpg

Check out this guy's hand. I caught him above the bricks, as he's spinning around on one hand.

unionsquare35.jpg

Sweet fancy Moses!!!! That's quite the lens! I'm guessing you are a professional photog?

I used to be, but that was 15 years ago. I got tired of clients. :popcorn: So now it's a hobby.

The lens is Canon's newest in the L line. It took me a bit to decide to pull the trigger on getting it, so to speak. So far:

GOOD

Fast focus acquisition.

Sharp. very sharp.

Unbelievable bokeh.

Obviously fast (I have their 85mm 1.2, which is faster, but it's slower focusing).

No light fall off at the edges.

Great contrast.

BAD

Heavy futhermucker.

Expensive futhermucker.

I used to be, but that was 15 years ago. I got tired of clients. :popcorn: So now it's a hobby.

The lens is Canon's newest in the L line. It took me a bit to decide to pull the trigger on getting it, so to speak. So far:

GOOD

Fast focus acquisition.

Sharp. very sharp.

Unbelievable bokeh.

Obviously fast (I have their 85mm 1.2, which is faster, but it's slower focusing).

No light fall off at the edges.

Great contrast.

BAD

Heavy futhermucker.

Expensive futhermucker.

It's a sweet lens. I am just starting to get into photography...picked up a slightly used Canon 20D and am still learning the ropes. I originally said I didn't want to get too involved and buy lots of things, but now as I learn more, there are lots of things I now 'need'. Why do the good hobbies all cost so much? :P

Guest TJones8611

Awesome work! Ive tried doing the same while in Chicago, candid shots of people on the streets and parks, but unlike you, after a couple of glares and WTF looks, I stopped. I should have just continued, I dont think most people would mind their picture being taken.

Absolutely Fantastic! I'm a very rank amature with a camera; but I think the kind of shots you took are the best. People in their natural daily movements are some of the most striking photos possible to take. And yours are wonderful examples. Keep it up.