Guest Volfan

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LiLBucket

Volfan- It's funny I happened to look in here, I actually live in Piney Flats and have been looking into my CCW! I'll shoot an email to Mike and say you sent me if that's okay!! (will he know you as Volfan??) Thanks!

Unaka Rod and Gun Club in Johnson City:

Handgun Permit Class:

The next class will be on February 10th begining at 8 am. You will need a safe handgun, 50 rounds of factory ammo, eye and ear protection. Class is from 8:00am to 5:00 pm. Cost is $50.00. Contact Mike Murray at 426-3039 or Terry Dixon at 283-9972. [Terry's email is mailto:grunt@unakarodandgun.com]

The class is usually held on the the second Saturday of each month.

No pre-registration required.

It's where I took my course. All of the money goes to the club. The club hours suck these days so I'm no longer a member, but they are good people.

No reason to pay more.

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/

Guest LiLBucket

Thanks Marswolf!! I've been meaning to stop by the Unaka Rod and Gun Club and possibly join, but it seems like everytime I plan on going, something comes up! Such is life! Do you like it over there? They seem like good people and I hear there's a stocked pond! Have you ever been to Kettlefoot?

I was a member at Kettlefoot years ago. Took my wife there when we were dating. I occasionally visit there with friends. Nice club, but it has the typical political problems of a couple of people who think they get to order the other members around from what I hear. And I don't understand why they don't put in an automatic gate, like Unaka. Seems like in 20 years or so they would have done that.

Unaka used to be a really nice club. You could just drop in and shoot at any time. Then some jerks started firing over the ridge and for legal reasons they decided to limit shooting to when there were range officers present. The problem could have been solved with baffles and security cameras, but they didn't go that way so I dropped my membership and went to Cherokee. Dropped my membership there when I found out they have all the fiscal understanding of a rabbit, plus it's not very convenient. But you can shoot when you want and they do a lot of activities to get women shooting.

People at both clubs are good folks. If I was re-joining, I'd go to Cherokee but not attend the meetings. I don't need the irritation. Wish Unaka would get its act together. It could be fixed at any time.

BTW, Cherokee also has a nice stocked pond.

Guest LiLBucket

Thanks for the info! Good to know a bit about the "infrastructures" ahead of time. That's something I'm definitely unsure about as I will be new to the gun club member world. Cherokee is a bit far but I have a friend that shoots there and speeks highly of it. Maybe I'll bump into you one of these days shooting! Thanks again!!

There is a good cut-through from Piney Flats to get to Unaka via Watauga. I'd have to send you a map. I found it with my GPS unit. Let me know if you are going in for the course and PM me your address.

If you have a good road mapping program, their coordinants are N36 degrees 20.010', W82 degrees 19.000'.