1911s

Guest jackdm3

Amen brother!! I'ts great to hear from a fellow Colt affectionato!! You and i are both old enough to remember when Colt was the only 1911 --- As Jeff Cooper said: "They Yankee Fist"!! Thanks for remembering!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for the Taurus pt-1911... Mine is incredible and the price can't be beat, especially for a used one. I wouldn't put it up against a Kimber or some nice custom built 1911, but it is amazingly accurate and has many features only found on much more expensive guns. Mine feeds everything perfectly. A lot depends on what you are looking for... I have no intention of spending 1-2k or more on a pistol right now, maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

I went with a Springfield Mil-Spec. Haven't had a single malfunction yet, and the slide fit is extremely tight. I'm very happy with it, but if I could change just one thing, it would be the sights. The fixed 3-dots aren't great for precision shooting.

Guest grimel
Amen brother!! I'ts great to hear from a fellow Colt affectionato!! You and i are both old enough to remember when Colt was the only 1911 --- As Jeff Cooper said: "They Yankee Fist"!! Thanks for remembering!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

Except for Remington-Rand, Singer, Switch and Signal, .....

Kind regards,

LEROY

You don't have to be an old timer to appreciate a Colt. I have 2, a full size (which I ave had for about 14 years) and an officer's model both are series 80 and they are as good if not better than my buddy's kimber, which by the way has had problems the last 3 times we went to the range.

The Colt series 80 is a good intro as well. While the series 80 is the economy line I shot mine stock for years with no issues.

The 1911 is one of the best handguns ever made.

I got a Springfield Amory 1911 stock. Back in 82.

To "help it out" due to the 8lb trigger out of the box,

I put a vendicki adjustable trigger 3.5 lb pull,

Polished the ramp so I can shoot combat target rounds,

and milled the ejection port.

I have more fun with this gun than you can imangine.

It was fairy inexpensive and for a hundred more it is just as good as high

priced guns.

If you are looking for a competition type gun, expect to pay 1k plus.

Just a few ideas if you are on a budget.

+1 for the Taurus pt-1911... Mine is incredible and the price can't be beat, especially for a used one. I wouldn't put it up against a Kimber or some nice custom built 1911, but it is amazingly accurate and has many features only found on much more expensive guns. Mine feeds everything perfectly. A lot depends on what you are looking for... I have no intention of spending 1-2k or more on a pistol right now, maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

+1 again for the Tarus PT1911......I have one and love it...........when I compare it to my Kimber Pro carry II it is ever bit as accurate and reliable...........the Kimber Pro has an AL frame and has a 4" barrel so it isn't apples to apples but close.

I also had a RIA 1911 compact and great gun for the money. I too spent a lot of time on the 1911 forum's and bought a Dan Wesson PM7, this is and incredible gun and the CBOB is on my list for next gun, do some more research on the 1911 site to answer most of your questions..... COOP

Coolness...been thinking the PM7 is next for me. Rock on!

Guest grimel
I like em too!!! Thanks for reminding us all of their greatness again!!!

Kind regards,

LEROY

I ain't old enough to remember them being issued. All the ones I got to see/use were at the end of the road. The nicer models I've seen either restored or not quite as used as the late '80's rack models were indeed what the 1911 is all about - solid steel and fine craftsmenship. Oh, do I like a well cared for Remington-Rand. I can almost feel the stories.

BTW, thanks one and all, I just picked up a Springfield 1911. I get down to 1 double stack 1911 as my only 1911 and someone starts a thread so I end up buying another. At least it wasn't a Wilson Combat that caught my eye this time!

Guest grimel
The Colt series 80 is a good intro as well. While the series 80 is the economy line I shot mine stock for years with no issues.

The Colt Series 80 firing pin safety might have been an answer in search of a question, but, Colt at least designed it so it will work reliably and still allow a really good working trigger. I'd REALLY like to get my hands on the POS who stole my perfectly (for me) customized 1991. If I had to pick ONE centerfire handgun for the rest of my days that would have been it - bang on demand, small groups, feed anything in a 45acp case, nice working trigger (5.25 crisp pounds).

The Colt Series 80 firing pin safety might have been an answer in search of a question, but, Colt at least designed it so it will work reliably and still allow a really good working trigger.

People complain about the series 80 fp safety and you are correct in that it was an answer to a question nobody asked, and people who say the fp safety degrades trigger pull accuracy but I am not that good that it hurts me. I have shot plenty of IDPA and never had an issue. Having said that the next one I buy will not be a series 80, I don't see the need for another safety on a 1911.

Also speaking of 1911 safeties has anyone had problems/issues with the swartz safety on Kimbers?