Handgun Hunters .....

Guest JustMyLuck

Guest JustMyLuck

Just wondering who we have for handgun hunters and what's your Brand and caliber ??

I have .....

S&W 460 Mag with a Weaver 2.5x8 scope / Warne triple rings and base

Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull (6" open sights)

JML

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not what I would consider pistol hunter. However, I have shot hogs with a S&W 357 4" and a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag with a 7 1/2" bbl. Neither time was I hunting hogs. One was an opportunity and the other defensive. My Bowen 454 Casull 4" has dispatched a couple of rather nasty animals. Again though a handgun hunter I'm not. I've never put scopes on my large pistols.

I hope to take a deer with my pistol this year. I have taken deer and hogs before, but this year I plan to leave the bow at home and take the pistol once gun season gets here.

I use a Super Blackhawk .44mag with Hornady 300gr XTPs. It was a 7.5 barrel that I had cut to 5.5. I wanted the solid cylinder and large grip frame, but I wanted a 5.5 barrel so I just had what I wanted made. It is the most accurate revolver I have owned. It does kick a little with the 300gr rounds, but it is a good killer. It carries nice and draws quickly too.

sbh002-1.jpg

Have killed deer in the past with two different hanguns. The first was with a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44mag. I have also taken a doe with my 45acp Kimber 1911.

This summer I had my Kimber fitted with a 400 Corbon barrel. That is what I will be carrying in the woods with me come gun season.

I have killed deer with a number of pistols. 1911A1 Colt 45 ACP, Ruger BH 44 mag, Kel-Tec 32 ACP and 380 ACP these were deer hit by a car or have been wounded but not dead. My favorate pistols for deer hunting are T/C Contenders. I have two barrels that I have killed deer with and will use one this year to hunt some with. The barrels are 357 Mag 10" and a 14" wildcat 6mm-225 Winchester. It is made from taking the old rimmed 225 Winchester case and expanding it out to 6mm and fireforming to take most of the taper out of the case and form a 40* shoulder. It has about the same case capasity as the 6mm PPC. It will shoot a 80 gr Sierra SSP bullet 2700 fps and put 5 under 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I will use this one some this year. I have Weaver 2.5-8X28 scopes on the T/C barrels. They are really great scopes for the money.

Guest JustMyLuck
I am going to hunt elk in Colorado with a 460 S&W next month.I let you know how it goes

I liked to have a report from your hunt. I'm interested how the 460 would do. I haven't tried it on elk .... yet. I did see a guy on a hunting show, take a Moose at 70 yards with 1 shot. It was pretty impressive.

JML

I don't set out to be a handgun hunter but love to take deer with my Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. If the oportunity presents itself I'll put the rifle down and go with the Redhawk. Really tips em over good!