Venison Recipes

Well fellow TGO members, it's that time of the year again. With deer season open, I'd like to get a venison recipe thread going. If you would like to share your favorite recipe, please post it. To save myself a bunch more typing, I have my favorite Venison Breakfast Sausage recipe on my website. Feel free to copy it if you desire.

WD

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnDeerHunter

simple deer roast, season to taste, put in oven bag with a few potatoes,onions and what ever else is handy put in oven for about 1 1/2 hour

What season base is Allegro Marinade. Not sure I've heard of that one. I'll have to give it a try.

I don't really know what to tell you. It isn't nearly as overpowering as something like Dale's, so it takes longer for the flavor to penetrate. The original flavor, in my opinion, is a good match for venison. It is also good on a rib eye.

Cut and tenderize deer into mini steaks, soak in buttermilk in fridge for at least 4 to 6 hours then flour and fry in a skillet or deep fryer until golden brown. Salt to taste then your done.

Sounds like this dude knows how to eat!

Everything is better fried!:tough:

Guest Muttling

Tenderize with meat tenderizer. Marinade for 4 hours in a zip lock bag with italian salad dressing and a few drops of liquid smoke. Grill at high temperature and be careful not to overcook.

Slow cooker a roast just as you would any beef roast and it will come out good. I prefer an onion soup mix roast and I add a few drops of liquid smoke to the recipe.

My wife marinads the venison for 4 hours, vacuum seals it before putting it in the freezer. The vacuum sealing opens the pours of the meat and the marinad gets into the meat real deep.

Some of the marinads she uses:

mustard and red wine

steak sauce and hot peppers.

Venison-core-don-blue is awsome too!

Experiment!

Guest Muttling
My wife marinads the venison for 4 hours, vacuum seals it before putting it in the freezer. The vacuum sealing opens the pours of the meat and the marinad gets into the meat real deep.

Some of the marinads she uses:

mustard and red wine

steak sauce and hot peppers.

Venison-core-don-blue is awsome too!

Experiment!

That's a really great idea!!!! Marinades are a must for venison steaks and I have often forked them to get penetration. I never thought about vacuum sealing.

Give your wife my thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife and I have used this one for years....

1)Cut a 3-4" slice of backstrap and butterfly making sure there is no conective tissue or fat.

2)Next rub course ground black pepper on the whole side

3)Heat small (egg pan size) skillet until hot and place two tablespoons REAL butter in the pan.

4)Heat butter until dark brown but not black.

5)Place steak in pan pepper side down and cook until red juice just starts to come out then turn. (about 4 min) Do not turn steak over more than once.

6)After 2 minutes add 4 tablespoons Major Grays Chutney. You will find it mixes with the butter and makes a great sauce.

7)Now the fun...Add a jigger of Conjac or Christian Brothers brandy. Light match and torch it. When flames go out serve it.

Sounds difficult but it's not. You'll also find it will be one of your favorites too. Great with Baked potatoes and salad.

Here are some good dishes you can do in the crock pot.

Take some back strap and cut it into bite size pieces. Put it into the crock pot and add a can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir until the meat is all covered. Cook on low for around 8 hours. I like to make up some brown minute rice and place the meat and gravy on top.

Deer roast in the crock pot: Melt two beef bullion cubes in about 1/2 cup of water in the microwave. Pour into the crock pot. Take one pack of dry Onion soup mix and add about 1 cup of water and place it into the microwave to heat up the water so that everything melts and blends together. Pour this into the crock pot. Add the deer roast, some potatoes and carrots and then add enough water to cover all. Cook on low 8 hours or so.

Here is another favorite for back strap.

Chop up some onions and brown them in REAL BUTTER. When the onions just start to brown add bite size pieces of back strap, stir and brown until the onions are browned well. As you know it does not take long to cook deer meat so don't over cook. This goes good with a baked potato and green beans.