Handgun Carry Liability Insurance

I am amazed by the number of TGO members that are apparently willing to rely upon thier own interpretation of the terms of such a exclusionary instrument as an insurance policy. In any self defense action involving injury or death, regardless of the circumstances and without respect of any criminal determination, the associated legal expense will be significant. A law suit is easy to file, but difficult and expensive to defend. No one with sound judgement would rely upon their own "intrepretation" of the terms of their insurance coverage. Seek clarification from your Agent, in writing, as a minimum precaution! Do not rely upon the advice of any DCP instructor, an unconfirmed umbrella coverage provision, or fellow TGO member. If you cannot confirm coverage by suitable written confirmation, assume you are not covered!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prepaid Legal.......

I was offered this by the instructor (PrePaid Legal Agent) of my HCP class. I thought long and hard about it but did not sign up.

Fast forward 7 years. I am interviewing a guy who had prepaid legal that he bought through the same place I took my class. He had recently gone through a divorce and used the "great" price Prepaid Legal got him on a quality lawyer. This "quality" lawyer was a young girl fresh out of law school with a procedure book under her arm when they went to court.

He now lives in a room at his buddy's house with the sleeping bag he walked away from the divorce with. His cheating ex-wife got the house, cars, furniture, and alimony!!!!

This may not represent every case and there is probably more to this story but I'll personally stay away from it.

• 2 weeks later...
you cant get coverage for it in Tennessee,even thru NRA, because using a gun in Tennessee even in a self defense action is an intentional act, therefor Ins. wouldnt pay off.

So no matter what anyone tells you or sells you its worthless, if you dont believe me call the state.

Hey,

this came up in another thread and the poster quoted this thread as his authority, and I am wondering what the state told you concerning this and whether there is some documentation or cite.

The certificate of the NRA endorsed plan doesn't contain an intetional act exclusion, it requires that an act of self defense occurs.

Thanks

Hey,

this came up in another thread and the poster quoted this thread as his authority, and I am wondering what the state told you concerning this and whether there is some documentation or cite.

The certificate of the NRA endorsed plan doesn't contain an intetional act exclusion, it requires that an act of self defense occurs.

Thanks

Just to clarify I didn't quote it "as my authority". I just said Glockmeister shared the same view as I did and what I was always told by instructors I worked with.

Just to clarify I didn't quote it "as my authority". I just said Glockmeister shared the same view as I did and what I was always told by instructors I worked with.

Got it, I was just trying to paraphrase "Here is where I'm going off of.":D

Anyway, I don't know of anybody who owns or has attempted to use one of these policies, but reimbursement of attorney fees in a successful defense of a criminal prosecution on a murder charge where self defense is alleged seems like a permissible contractual provision in this state.

But, if the State has said you can't collect...