P225 and P229 questions

cflatt

Picked up a "new" P225 last weekend at the gun show. Date code on it is JE so 1984 if memory serves me right. Its in pristine condition and fires like a dream with target rounds. (still haven"t fired any hollow points through it but the seller says he will smooth the feed ramp if there are any issues). Already put 500 rounds through it and it gets better each time. Is this typical of a 225 ? Might have to consider another just to have if so. I wish my P229 (.357Sig) shot as well.Not sure on the 229 date. I will have to look but I know it is much newer.

I think I am going to try the Hogue panels for the 229 since the wrap around is a bit chunky. The panels it came with seemed to gap slightly in the back. I would love to try the G10 grips but not wanting to drop that money for something I haven't tried. Also thinking about getting a 9mm conversion barrel for the bulk of shooting at the range. Any advice on either gun would be appreciated. P225.jpg225date.jpgP229.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good find! I'm in love with my recently aquired 1983 surplus p6, which is the same as the p225. I love the size and they shoot great. I have been 100% with speer gold dot, magtech, and remington hp so far. You will likely have no issues unless you shoot the 147gr hydra shock, which is the most problematic.

Many die hard sig fans will list the 225/p6 as one of their favorites. The p6 models may need some springs changed out to match the 225 trigger specs, but are generally priced a bit cheaper.

How many rounds do you have through the 229? What is it you don't like about it? I have one in the .357 and find it to be a pretty nice shooter, very smooth and accurate. Mine feeds range ammo and hollopoint without any hiccups. I have been shooting double tap and speer gold dot out of it. You should check with sig. They have a great warranty department and will fix a gun so that you are completely happy. That is one benefit of paying the sig price.

I have the P6 and a P229R elite, I shot both this weekend and the old P6 is the nicest shooter of all my hand guns, it's like and old friend who you havent seen in a while and when you do there's lots to talk about...BANG BANG BANG!!! LOL It does not have the feed ramp mod and doesnt like JHP's but I've talked to Todd at Customized Creations and it's going to see him soon.

My P229 Elite has the same issue with the Houge wrap around grips, there just to thick so maybe some Hogue recheckered factory grips or the G10 when I can afford them, mine is in .40 cal but I want to invest into the .357 sig barrel in a few weeks to try it out and a friend has some rounds left over from being a LEO. Both are great guns enjoy the P6!!!!! COOP

It's not a dislike as much as it is a comparison of it to other 229s I have shot. It only has about 600 rounds through it so I am sure it will work out more as I continue to shoot. I think I may order some Hogue panels for it since I dont see any re-checkered grips on the Hogue auction site. I think it will be a grip issue more than anything for me...well..that and comparing the way it feels compared to the 225.

Also looking for something smaller for CCW. I liked the way the 232 felt but I think I would have to start reloading if I want to step into .380 at this moment.

I have the Hogue panel grips for mine. They are a lot thinner than the wrap around. I have a lot less than 600 through mine and it is flawless. My only complaint is that I liked the Glock trigger better.

There have been no failures at all. It's just a "feel". Thats why I am going to try different grips and see if its just in how I am holding it. Had a G26 for about 450 rounds....its out on consignment right now. :tinfoil:

If you have a chance to try a P220, you should. It's a wonderful handgun and it is extremely accurate. I have had one for years and love it. I also have a 226, 229, and a 239 in .357 Sig. The 239 is a hand cannon.

I keep eying the 239 but I know for carry I want something smaller at first, THEN I will get a 239 (there's just no avoiding it :clap:). The 220 looks great but I know I will have to start reloading if I shoot .45 as well as .357sig.

I appreciate all the help this forum gives. it's been a great find. I hope to run across any of you that shoot down at CHMR.

Why not just pick up a pair on ebay for $19? They seem overpriced on the auction site.

HOGUE 28010 Sig Sauer 228 229 Grip - eBay (item 330359368966 end time Nov-10-09 10:11:09 PST)

Thanks for the link. I found those same panels at Midway about 2 hours ago for about a buck less and decided what the heck. They won't make it for the weekend but should be in Monday which is just as good since the kids both want to go down to "Mr. Charlie's" on fall break. I'll see how it feels then.

Thanks again for finding the ebay link.

• 3 weeks later...

So I put my P229R elite on a diet after this thread and I really like the results so I'm posting some pictures for all to see, these are the Hogue recheckered Sig factory grips, the things I didnt like about the Hogue grips were the width and their rubber which for me tends to grab on my shirts when unholstering, the recheckering is very aggresive and did I say thin!!! I like it, now if I could just learn how to shoot my .40 all would be good!!!!! COOP

DSCN0602.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg