How much ammo?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The worst†would be leaving my home; that just isn’t happening unless it is an act of Mother Nature and then how much ammo I have really won’t matter.

You guys crack me up. :up:

There are highly unlikely events where you may be better off moving out and having as much ammo as possible, but yah, there's about a 99.99% chance any SHTF action will NOT include the end of civilization.

It does seem that many survival guys think MadMax scenarios are highly likely. I wish the survival forums spent more time talking about practical preparedness rather than highly unlikely EOTWAWKI scenarios. Fitness, food, water, etc are FAR more likely to be needed than firearms, but I guess talking about aerobic workouts or water purification isn't as much fun as discussing carrying 5k rounds of ammo with your seven rifles and four pistols as you duck and weave your way to your BOL...

Guest oldsmobile98
carrying 5k rounds of ammo with your seven rifles and four pistols as you duck and weave your way to your BOL...

No way I'm carrying it. That's what the assault wheelbarrow is for.

I have a go bag that has 100 rds of .45, couple mags for my carry gun, 5 mags of 6.8mm for the AR pistol and a few energy bars, pliers and screwdrivers. It's heavy enough!

I seriously used to think I needed 1000+ rounds for every caliber of gun I own, then though about it....if the "enemy's" are the guys who are gonna round us up into concentration camps....my AR isnt going to be much good against tanks, miniguns, and helicopters,and most looters wouldnt cross a perimeter strewn with bodies so a handful of 00 buck shells is really what I decided I needed if there ever was a shtf senario....I quit buying bullets and started buying caned goods, water and saved for a generator....I had to quit reading all the crazy stuff out there on the internet...the only thing I worry about now is winter storms, tornado's, and a bump in the night.

Guest 1817ak47

if you plan on not being on foot, buckshot 12 ga is great, but for the weight a person couldn't carry many rounds though, but you could sure knock a army down quick, and likely take down more than one person per shotgun shell. I bought a mosin nagant as a higher power rifle, wounder what that would do to a military vehicle or helicopter if aimed correctly. some military guys could probably comment on this better than I can

Guest TheJammer

If you are already stocked up on food, water, medical supplies, camping gear, etc...

I'd say 1k rounds per calibre with at least 200 rounds per weapon already loaded in magazines. A shotgun or an AR are fantastic weapons for bugging-in, but realistically if we are bugging out, you're going to want a concealable, low-maintenance, common calibre handgun.

Invest in a good primary handgun and a small BUG. Buy spare holsters and plenty of magazines as well.

im in the process of restocking as i just switched from a 45 and 308 to a 9mm and 223. this was done to save money for other preps as well as have common guns between all of my close friends and family. we all have at least 1 AR and Glock 9mm per house, usually more.

i think 1K per caliber is a good start for a stock at the house. i wouldnt leave home with more than a couple hundred per person though. my goal on the move is 5 mags per rifle and 3 mags per pistol. those numbers include one mag in the guns. i think a good option for survival hunting typer scenarios would be a .22 conversion for the rifle and pistol. they are simple dropins and can pack a bulk pack of .22lr for an extra pound or two.

i do believe that food and water are more important as the guns and ammo because you have to survive long enough to be effective and physical fitness is as important or more than the weapons as well because you have to be able to move.

Guest 1817ak47

I also standardized my handgun calibers, getting rid of 380 and got another 9mm. I already had a stock of 9mm, and didn't want to have to buy 380 which is alot more and about 1/2 the power. not to mention if one gun broke, then half the ammo would be useless. I would rather have all my handgun ammo the same instead of 2 different caliber in case one gun broke, you still have all the correct ammo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Luckyshot

Have you had any back packing experience? Take a back pack and put what you think you need in it, weigh it, then try it on. From that point you can stream line you load out based on your body strength. Once you have a ball park hit a local trail carrying the same weight. Look for blisters

Guest Dragonman
enough to get you past the first person and then pick up their goods and keep doing that

But you also need to remember they'll be trying to do the same thing.;)

Guest HvyMtl

Bug out bag = light weight and reliable firearm. Pistol of a caliber easy to get and good stopping power - 38sp, 9mm, 40, 45 with 2 additional magazines (for the non-revolver) and a box, maybe 2 of ammo. You have to put enough stuff to survive for a few days in a small light weight bag.

Prepared Bug out - multiple people = better shared load more food, water, and better shelter. Then make sure all pistols are same caliber and use same magazine. 12 gauge and a 22 - Think hunting not repelling. You want enough firepower to be not worth the risk to the predators out there, not to start a war. You want enough firepower to protect the group, but not draw so much attention as to be a target DUE to the firearms you are carrying... Perhaps a 30-30 or additional rifle. Again, the objective is, if you get into a firefight, you want to be quick and mobile enough to get out of it, fast. And have enough firepower to not be worth the losses for the predator...

At home? So? Have as much as you want. AS long as you can store it properly and afford it...

Edited by HvyMtl
  • 5 months later...