I you are stopped out of state......

Here’s a good question for you to respond to. As you know if you are stopped in Tennessee more than likely when THP or any other agency will run your driver’s license will it come back that you have a HCP?

My next question is if you are stopped out of state and the LEO runs you driver’s license for outstanding warrants and such will it show that you have a HCP from Tennessee and could possibly be armed.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Should you tell him you have a carry permit and you are armed.

What do you think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, when your driver's license is run, your HCP status come back along with it. Your DL # and your HCP # are the same.

And yes, my recommendation is to always be up front and let the LEO know immediately that you have a Carry Permit and are armed (and let them know in that order !)

In Tennessee, you are not legally obligated to volunteer this information, but when travelling (depending on the state), you may be.

Not all states have the ability to obtain HCP thru D/L files. Georgia for instance does not.

Each state uses a different computer gateway to obtain D/L data and some states, Georgia for instance does not compile a database for HCP that are issued by each county.

Don't assume that just because your home state has the ability, the state you are traveling in has the same.

Not all states have the ability to obtain HCP thru D/L files. Georgia for instance does not.

Each state uses a different computer gateway to obtain D/L data and some states, Georgia for instance does not compile a database for HCP that are issued by each county.

Don't assume that just because your home state has the ability, the state you are traveling in has the same.

It may be true that if you run a Georgia DL in Georgia that it won't show if the person has a Georgia permit, but I'm 99.9% sure that if you run a TN DL in any state it will show your HCP status to the agency that ran the check.

As was said before your TN DL and HCP number are the same...as I'm sure you know, when you run a TN DL it just simply has a line (just like a line for Name, Address, DL Class....) for Gun Permit and it say Yes or No

I always check http://handgunlaw.us before going out of state to see if a state is a must inform or not.

I spend a lot of time in OH which is a must tell state. I have not been stopped in over 40 years so I would think my chances of being stopped are pretty slim. I have made up my mind that whereever I would be stopped I would be upfront with the fact that I was legally carrying. I would think most LEOs would appreciate knowing but then again I may get someone on a power trip.

oldogy

It may be true that if you run a Georgia DL in Georgia that it won't show if the person has a Georgia permit, but I'm 99.9% sure that if you run a TN DL in any state it will show your HCP status to the agency that ran the check.

Hmmm... I don't seem to recall it ever showing on any of my PDT's or in dispatch.

Here in TN, I know you get it back, but you also get back the drivers history, which is not the case in Ga. a DH requires an officers signature to retrieve.

Point being, each state is vastly different and so is the amount of info you can and can not receive.

I also don't recall ever seeing any other HCP info from any other state for that matter ever showing up on any terminal I ever used in Ga.

Another example is in Ga. we had access to auto insurance files, much like in Tn the HCP files. They were referenced to the vehicle tag, when we ran the tag it would show if you had valid insurance or not. Don't have that info here in Tn.

Edited by TMMT
I spend a lot of time in OH which is a must tell state. I have not been stopped in over 40 years so I would think my chances of being stopped are pretty slim. I have made up my mind that whereever I would be stopped I would be upfront with the fact that I was legally carrying. I would think most LEOs would appreciate knowing but then again I may get someone on a power trip.

oldogy

Another thing about Ohio: I traveled there quite a bit over the last couple of years and in my research it stated that with a permit your weapon had to be in a holster on your person or in a locked box within the vehicle. Now here in TN a lot of times I have one IWB, but also have one in my console or tucked between the seat. Apparently this would be illegal in Ohio.

The reasoning of this confused me a bit, but after some thought and discussion, it just seems to me that having it on your person means that it is in your immediate control versus in a console (where it could possibly be accessed by other passengers).

So from what I can tell people getting their permit in Ohio should be aware of this, but seems like something that out of state people might overlook without a bit of research.

Hmmm... I don't seem to recall it ever showing on any of my PDT's or in dispatch.

Here in TN, I know you get it back, but you also get back the drivers history, which is not the case in Ga. a DH requires an officers signature to retrieve.

Point being, each state is vastly different and so is the amount of info you can and can not receive.

I also don't recall ever seeing any other HCP info from any other state for that matter ever showing up on any terminal I ever used in Ga.

Another example is in Ga. we had access to auto insurance files, much like in Tn the HCP files. They were referenced to the vehicle tag, when we ran the tag it would show if you had valid insurance or not. Don't have that info here in Tn.

Each state's database and system is different of course.

It's been about 10 years since I was dispatching, so that is what I was going, but admit things could have changed.

TN law says they will recognize a "facially valid" permit from any other state. Sounds like they are considering there may not be a way for a TN LEO to run a computer check on an out of state permit. I guess some other states may be the same way.

Guest HexHead

It's your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the laws of the states you will be traveling in when armed. They are just different enough to get you into hot water if you're not careful.

Another thing about Ohio:it stated that with a permit your weapon had to be in a holster on your person or in a locked box within the vehicle. Now here in TN a lot of times I have one IWB, but also have one in my console or tucked between the seat. Apparently this would be illegal in Ohio.

The reasoning of this confused me a bit, but after some thought and discussion, it just seems to me that having it on your person means that it is in your immediate control versus in a console (where it could possibly be accessed by other passengers).

Yep, the laws, they are certainly convoluted, the games go on and the possibilities are many. For example, if you are the only occupant of the vehicle would this rule apply? The wife and I are both permit holders and would the rule apply? And if the wife had her firearm in her purse would the rule apply. Guess I need to educate myself on OH laws a bit more.

oldogy

Six or seven years ago I crossed the Canadian border and was asked if I had any firearms with me; I did not. After running the TN driver's license I was asked three more times and gave the same answer. We were diverted to an inspection station and they all but tore out the lining of the vehicle. I had made sure there wasn't as much as a shell casing in there. So yes, other agencies will know if you have a HCP.

Yes, when your driver's license is run, your HCP status come back along with it. Your DL # and your HCP # are the same.

And yes, my recommendation is to always be up front and let the LEO know immediately that you have a Carry Permit and are armed (and let them know in that order !)

In Tennessee, you are not legally obligated to volunteer this information, but when travelling (depending on the state), you may be.

I LOVE it when LEO's are forthcoming with this info and it is correct! Thank you sir! I am NOT joking!:rolleyes:

Guest canynracer

Just hand out both at the same time....that way, you inform, without stumbling for the words to say "I am legally armed"

they see the permit, which puts them at ease...if you tell them, then go fumbling around for your DL/Permit.. they could get ansy...

I keep my wallet out near the gear shifter (there is an open compartment), my permit behind my dl...IF I get pulled over, I just hand both (When I am carrying)...they ask the questions, I just answer accordingly.

I was pulled over in Glacier National Park and the LEO's computer showed I had a permit. I wasn't carrying at the time so I didn't tell him, but he was very cool and after we chatted for a while he let me go with a warning. That being said, if I am armed I hand them my drivers lisc and carry permit at the same time then place my hands very slowly on the wheel.