Report Card... For those who attended the Second or None event today

Guest Gun Geek

David when do you think you will start planning for next year, the sooner the better, some manufacturers commit to shows/events up to a year in advance sometimes more so knowing a date would be the first step in getting some more vendors that way they are not booked for other shows.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hmm. Looks like I am the only one with some negative criticism...

Um, I guess the weather made it so they had to put the speakers by the gas pumps... Perhaps a mini stage next time?

It seemed the major benefactor for this event was the pockets of the Outpost. I understand they were kind enough to sponsor the event, but having a monopoly on gun sales, ammo, and food, absolutely made them richer...

Sadly, it seemed more of a gun sale than a 2nd A meeting.

I arrived around 1:15 - and missed most of the speakers... All that was left was Phil Valentine and Steve Gill... (Sorry, but talking heads are not what I came to hear...if I wanted to hear them, I would have listened to the radio... And their personal agendas took away from the event...)

Posting of the speech times, weeks before the event, is really necessary...

Where was the NRA table? GOA? Any other PRO 2nd A groups? (I would try to get those guys in if possible... at least the NRA...)

Too bad Barrett was not handing out free samples... :up:

Yes, you needed more stuff for the kiddies, and allowed for more than one vendor to sell stuff...

But, it was a good start. I would suggest getting more vendors and groups to have tables...

I did not like that you had to be present to win the single door prize, and there was supposed to be more than one prize, but all I saw was the 22lr lever action...

But, again, good start.

The above post by HvyMtl just reminded me of something. The price of booths.

I understand the money was going to a wonderful cause, the JROTC. But I'm wondering if it would have been a better idea to greatly reduce the fee for a booth, and instead charge attendees $5 for admission.

Don't know if something like that would fly, but I've talked to several people who attended the event and were also hoping for many more vendors.

LOL, actually, I have organized bunches of things and understand the costs behind it.

Try to organize a Student Health Fair with a $50 budget. All things had to be donated... It was a success, even had hundreds of door prizes, including, of all things, Vanilla Ice concert tickets... Oh yeah, and do it in one month, while going to law school...

Perhaps a little "sweet talking" of the business you were advertising with, like giving them a "free booth" and placing their name on the advertising, would garner you a discount.

Seriously, though, I DO wonder if other gun, ammo, and food vendors would be allowed.

As I said before, good start. Only way is up!

• Administrator

Seriously, though, I DO wonder if other gun, ammo, and food vendors would be allowed.

As I said before, good start. Only way is up!

It's always easy to form odd and unusual theories of why certain things happened the way they did when you weren't a part of the planning process and weren't savvy to the specific challenges that presented themselves over the course of that planning process. I'm sure that there were people who wondered why Vanilla Ice got invited to your event instead of some other rap artist. :)

That said, I can promise you that while the Outpost benefited it was not established as a "Let's drive a boatload of sales to the Outpost some random Saturday this year" event. At no point during the day did anyone announce that people were required to go into the store and buy something, so the conspiracy theory that it was all about boosting their sales is pretty ludicrous.

I started this thread for constructive feedback, not so that people could lob stones at the sponsors and vendors. As the event grows in years ahead, I'm sure that there will be increased opportunities for other vendors to become involved. Frankly, the Barrett family would have welcomed that sort of financial assistance with the event this year as well but ultimately bore the vast majority of the burden themselves.

For that, we should all be thankful since it allowed a large number of Tennessee gun owners to come together and meet with their elected representatives, and each other, and take home "ammo" for the cause.

Keep that in mind.

Was there, Loved it. Great speakers. Chris Barrett was great. The one thing that I got out of it. You can't just vote this coming election season. You have to get ACTIVELY INVOLVED in the election process. Actively campaign for the representative that represents your views. That means canvas your neighbors. Make phone calls. Donate to their campaign funds. We are up against a wall. It is time to fight back!

Guest HexHead

I did not like that you had to be present to win the single door prize, and there was supposed to be more than one prize, but all I saw was the 22lr lever action...

But, again, good start.

There were no entry forms around by the time I went inside.

Guest TMontana

I caught the tail end of it. Great! Maybe we should do this more than once a year, after all our Government does not limit their attack on our Second Amendment rights to once a year....

• Administrator
Hey TGO David I don't see any mention of the Second Amendment March. Are they going to come on here to promote the march next year? She made a long drive to be here and we should support it.

Official site of the Second Amendment March

Have I missed a thread about them?

I don't know if there is one or not. Search it out. If not, start one. ;)

Since it's been a week I didn't know if the woman who was here had told you that she would sign on and keep us updated about the march. Do you remember her name? I joined their forum and hope that others will too. If there isn't a thread by tomorrow I'll start one.

• Administrator
Since it's been a week I didn't know if the woman who was here had told you that she would sign on and keep us updated about the march. Do you remember her name? I joined their forum and hope that others will too. If there isn't a thread by tomorrow I'll start one.

I met a lot of people at the event but couldn't meet them all. Unfortunately she was one of them. Please post up more info. If she's registered here, perhaps she should start a thread and tell us more about it. :D

Guest SecondAmendmentMarch

Hi David and Volzfan,

I'm here! Thanks for inviting Second Amendment March to your event. What a great turnout, especially considering the weather. I'll try to keep you updated if I can, but I'm swamped right now with planning and organizing. We only have six months to go until the event, and miles to go before we sleep.

I'm hoping that your great group here will sign up for our newsletter, join our forums and keep checking our site for updates. The website is being overhauled right now, but once I relaunch it (within a week or two) we'll give each of our state coordinators and our board of directors the ability to manage the content -- which will provide our visitors with a richer experience on the site.

Thanks again! We hope to see the great state of Tennessee strongly represented at the march!

Terri

www.SecondAmendmentMarch.com

Guest Straight Shooter

I dont know what the heck some of you guys expected. They could not control the weather,and as far as "talking heads"....HUH?! What do you mean "their personal agendas'....THE SECOND AMENDMENT?!!!! And HVYMTl you got there late and fuss because it was about over for the speakers,and then people actually wanted to go inside and BUY STUFF? THE SHAME!! You say they needed more stuff for "the kiddies",how do you know they didnt plan on having more,and the weather wouldnt allow for it? It was THE FIRST TIME for this fellas,I think they did a hell of a job. If the Outpost sponsored this..IN THE OUTPOST PARKING LOT,why shouldnt they benefit? No one made me and my friends buy a single thing. It WAS a 2A event,YOU got there late and missed most of it. And,as far as personal agendas,IF you or anyone else are "offended" when gun owners speak of liberals and HUSSEIN OBAMA,THATS WHO WANT TO TAKE YOU GUNS AWAY!!! GET A DAMN CLUE why dont you! It was NOT about Rebublicans and Democrats,they had the Democrat who sponsored most of the pro-gun bills that are now law,he spoke and gave a fine speech,but YOU missed it because YOU werent there!!

I say the event was great,inspiring and well worth our ride up from Fayetteville. Next time they put this on,they outta call some of you know it alls,itll be PERFECT then Im sure.

Guest HexHead
I dont know what the heck some of you guys expected. They could not control the weather,and as far as "talking heads"....HUH?! What do you mean "their personal agendas'....THE SECOND AMENDMENT?!!!! And HVYMTl you got there late and fuss because it was about over for the speakers,and then people actually wanted to go inside and BUY STUFF? THE SHAME!! You say they needed more stuff for "the kiddies",how do you know they didnt plan on having more,and the weather wouldnt allow for it? It was THE FIRST TIME for this fellas,I think they did a hell of a job. If the Outpost sponsored this..IN THE OUTPOST PARKING LOT,why shouldnt they benefit? No one made me and my friends buy a single thing. It WAS a 2A event,YOU got there late and missed most of it. And,as far as personal agendas,IF you or anyone else are "offended" when gun owners speak of liberals and HUSSEIN OBAMA,THATS WHO WANT TO TAKE YOU GUNS AWAY!!! GET A DAMN CLUE why dont you! It was NOT about Rebublicans and Democrats,they had the Democrat who sponsored most of the pro-gun bills that are now law,he spoke and gave a fine speech,but YOU missed it because YOU werent there!!

I say the event was great,inspiring and well worth our ride up from Fayetteville. Next time they put this on,they outta call some of you know it alls,itll be PERFECT then Im sure.

Hey David, I like this guy. He makes me seem nuanced and subtle in comparison. :D

I'll repeat for everyone here what I said to you at the show. Between this event, the Gun Show you're putting together and many of the other things you've been organizing, you're doing a hell of a good job with this site. And THANK YOU.

Hey David, I like this guy. He makes me seem nuanced and subtle in comparison. ;)

I'll repeat for everyone here what I said to you at the show. Between this event, the Gun Show you're putting together and many of the other things you've been organizing, you're doing a hell of a good job with this site. And THANK YOU.

I have to completely agree with both parts of your post Hex!!!

• Administrator

Thanks, I appreciate it. We're still hoping for an awesome event at the Expo. ;)