Loaded Long Gun

Guest 270win

Does the defense to prosecution of intent to go armed part that includes 'incident to hunting, fishing, trapping' include the going to and from such activities? I am curious how such a law is enforced if you are truly driving from hunting with a loaded shotgun or rifle in your vehicle, since i would assume the driving to and from is 'incident' to such activites.

I am aware that a TN Handgun Carry Permit is only good for carrying a handgun, just curious about the aspects of loaded long gun carry in this state if you are driving to sporting related activites.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

You've got to unload your scattergun to transport it to the dove field. Once there, you load up and go. Then you unload it again to take it back home. Same with all hunting. In fact, it is the same as going to the range with the question of ammo and weapon within arms reach, yadda yadda...

Back in the day, you could carry a loaded rifle/shotgun in a rack as long as it was visible outside of the vehicle. You cannot do that anymore, since the early 80's I think. Much to the chagrin of the gunrack making industry.

Guest GlocKingTN

Its funny how you can literally CARRY a loaded handgun, but you cant have a loaded shotgun/rifle in your vehicle. That just doesnt make much sense!

Does the defense to prosecution of intent to go armed part that includes 'incident to hunting, fishing, trapping' include the going to and from such activities?
how would this apply to having loaded magazines in a center console or glove box and an unloaded rifle behind the seat or in a gun rack?

The way I see the law is that you could have loaded magazines in your vehicle on property where you can legally hunt. If the Officer that stopped you on your way there wants to arrest you; that’s up to him. A valid defense means that you can try to make that argument in court… that would suck.

Those of us that transport rifles to and from a place where we can legally shoot can’t transport loaded magazines (That are accessible). So I doubt it would be different for hunters.

Sounds like the 'incident to hunting, fishing, camping" and so on defense to prosecution means actually while hunting, fishing, or taking part in sporting activity. It does not include going to and from.

I know a lot of people in Arkansas carry handguns in cars or on their persons without a license (especially in rural areas) because they are going to and from hunting. If it is squirrel or rabbit season, they've got a 4 inch 22 pistol. If it is deer season, then a centerfire pistol with a 4 inch barrel. If all else fails, then they are wild hog hunting because the season is year round! The smart ones always have some boots and other hunting related items in the truck. The big difference is that you are covered there when carrying a handgun while actually going to and from the hunting site and of course long guns are not weapons there period and can be carried anytime loaded or unloaded concealed or unconcealed without a license. I noticed that TN considers long guns weapons and not just handguns.

Thanks for the information, since i moved here recently and have been leery of having a loaded rifle on the way to the squirrel woods.