SD Mindset from 335 years old book.

I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I selected here. I had posted something a little earlier about bushido(Samurai philosophy) and self defense. A younger poster told me in no uncertain terms that I belonged in the Dark Ages as none of that medieval stuff was of any use anymore.

I have been to Gunsite and many years of other military and police type training environments. I have learned many techniques, each one contradicting and "dissing' the other. Each one claims to have the answer to self defense. Each one, however, was tied to one type of combat, with a paucity of scenarios.

I find as I get older that the training I received in Japan in Kendo, Japanese sword fighting, has served me in better staid than anything else. Replace the sword with a gun and the principles still apply.

Below is an my summation of the Book of Five Rings, written by Miyamoto Musashi in 1645 AD. A great warrior and survivor of many sword duels, he tried to distill a philosophy of fighting that would fit any weapon in any scenario. He believed that although technique is vitally important, it is the spirit of the attack or mindset as we would call it today, that is the key ingredient to winning a fight. He stated that the method of fighting was nothing compared to the earnest goal of cutting your opponent down.

I am not stating that this is the answer, but I would welcome others thoughts on his writing and how it applies to self defense today.

The Five Rings

Earth- Know the way. Know your environment, including the code of conduct expected and the rules and laws involved. Be aware of everything around you.

Water- Be proficient and skilled with your weapons. Know more than one weapon.

Wind -Know how the enemy fights. Know your opponent, his ways, thoughts, skills and style of fighting.

Fire -Take the fight to your enemy without fear. Once you have decided to fight, take the fight to the opponent with no reservations or hesitation. Seize control of the situation.

Void -The point where you can forget the four above because they have become a part of you. You no longer need to think about them.

Miyamoto Musashi

1645 AD

Edited by wjh2657
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sun Tzu's "Art of War" is still one of the greatest books ever on tactics for warfare, business, and even life in general, and it was written roughly 2600 years ago. The "younger poster" lacks wisdom.

Guest logicprevails

Good stuff. I agree that Kendo translates very well to the art of self preservation with a pistol (or any firearm, for that matter). All forms of martial arts originating in Asia do, I believe. Their primary focus is on aligning the body with the mind and having the mind in control of the body. Regardless of style, they are based on the same principles.

Sun Tzu's "Art of War" is still one of the greatest books ever on tactics for warfare, business, and even life in general, and it was written roughly 2600 years ago. The "younger poster" lacks wisdom.

"The Art of War" was required reading by the samurai and Daimyo (Barons) in the days of Bushido. They have the right idea in the Orient: the mind is the weapon, the sword (gun) is just a tool of the mind. Get your mind right and you will be hitting your target.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my gun; he who shoots with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I kill with my heart.

-Gunslinger's Creed

Guest flyinglowwithheat
I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I selected here. I had posted something a little earlier about bushido(Samurai philosophy) and self defense. A younger poster told me in no uncertain terms that I belonged in the Dark Ages as none of that medieval stuff was of any use anymore.

I have been to Gunsite and many years of other military and police type training environments. I have learned many techniques, each one contradicting and "dissing' the other. Each one claims to have the answer to self defense. Each one, however, was tied to one type of combat, with a paucity of scenarios.

I find as I get older that the training I received in Japan in Kendo, Japanese sword fighting, has served me in better staid than anything else. Replace the sword with a gun and the principles still apply.

Below is an my summation of the Book of Five Rings, written by Miyamoto Musashi in 1645 AD. A great warrior and survivor of many sword duels, he tried to distill a philosophy of fighting that would fit any weapon in any scenario. He believed that although technique is vitally important, it is the spirit of the attack or mindset as we would call it today, that is the key ingredient to winning a fight. He stated that the method of fighting was nothing compared to the earnest goal of cutting your opponent down.

I am not stating that this is the answer, but I would welcome others thoughts on his writing and how it applies to self defense today.

The Five Rings

Earth- Know the way. Know your environment, including the code of conduct expected and the rules and laws involved. Be aware of everything around you.

Wind -Know how the enemy fights. Know your opponent, his ways, thoughts, skills and style of fighting.

Fire -Take the fight to your enemy without fear. Once you have decided to fight, take the fight to the opponent with no reservations or hesitation. Seize control of the situation.

Void -The point where you can forget the four above because they have become a part of you. You no longer need to think about them.

Miyamoto Musashi

1645 AD

Here is a link to a PDF copy

http://www.artofwarsuntzu.com/Art%20of%20War%20PDF.pdf

I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my gun; he who shoots with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.

I kill with my heart.

-Gunslinger's Creed

Somewhere it needs a "Do you feel lucky punk? Well do ya?" I love the Dark Tower for many many reasons but any story written about a cowboy and your thinking Eastwood is good enough for me. Lee Van Cliff is the man in black in my mind too.

The Five Rings

Miyamoto Musashi

1645 AD

I apologize for not respecting your request, wjh. I think that your summation is a good one. Musashi explained techniques but focused on WHY that technique should be done in that manner.

Here is a translation of the book.

A Book of Five Rings

Link to Musashi's Five Rings online: A Book of Five Rings

Musashi hung up his sword after he fought what he felt was the best swordman he could ever face. He became a philosopher, a poet and an artist. He embodied all that was best in the samurai way (Bushido) and was probably the ultimate warrior-monk. He sounds bigger than life, the stuff of legends, but he was real!

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Muttling
...... All forms of martial arts originating in Asia do, I believe............

Hmmmm.......So the fighting skills of the Spartans, Egyptians, Romans, Europeans, boxers, etc don't count as martial arts????

Martial:

–adjective 1.inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people. 2.of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music. 3.characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.

Hmmmm.......So the fighting skills of the Spartans, Egyptians, Romans, Europeans, boxers, etc don't count as martial arts????

Martial:

–adjective 1.inclined or disposed to war; warlike: The ancient Romans were a martial people. 2.of, suitable for, or associated with war or the armed forces: martial music. 3.characteristic of or befitting a warrior: a martial stride.

"... All forms of martial arts originating in Asia do, I believe..."

I think he was just stating that those martial arts originating in Asia do specifically apply, not that they are the only martial arts, or even the only ones that apply today. Many cultures have developed martial arts forms, but I have studied Asian forms more, so I can speak for them. I would be fascinated to hear of any other forms that apply and some references to study. There could be new slants and new techniques worth learning here. Feel free to expand the thread and enrich the discussion.

All you Eastern talk and references are all good but remember

"Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06."

Jeff Cooper

just funning I have 5 rings and Art of War here at the house along with numerous other books.

Guest kingtone

dont take it out of context.

logicprevails said;

"Good stuff. I agree that Kendo translates very well to the art of self preservation with a pistol (or any firearm, for that matter). All forms of martial arts originating in Asia do, I believe. Their primary focus is on aligning the body with the mind and having the mind in control of the body. Regardless of style, they are based on the same principles"

not, "all forms of martial arts originate in Asia."

the point was that the martial arts that originate in Asia seem to translate well to the art of self preservation with a pistol.

I would agree. Especially seeing that i have only studied asian martial arts. That is not to say any other martial art form does not do that... i can not say that, i do not have the experience. If you have experience or knowledge of all those forms then perhaps you could enlighten us as to whether they compare to the positives of the asian styles.

Personally, the style i studied, was an ancient classical form that was compiled by the chief of police of Okinawa, Matsamura, hundreds and hundreds of years ago. He put together all the best parts of what he thought would be the most beneficial for self defense for the guards of the king etc. and i find sooo much of that translates to even simple day to day life.