Does such training exist?

I am new shooter been through HCP and NRA basic handgun course but wanting to take my training to next level. Seen lots of comment check out this class or this seminar so here is my question. In other sports I usual reach a level where most effective use of time and money is one on one training. A qualified individual giving tips on ways to better improve my performance. Private lessons if playing golf. In a gym situation called a personal trainer. Would like it to be on going situation meeting twice or once a month for an hour or something similar, so traveling here or there wouldn't really work. Need something within say an hour distance to my location. So does this training exist ? If so whom you recommend or not recommend?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I would take a 2-day 1000 round class to learn some fundamentals. From there you will have a base to work from.

I can highly recommend Tom Givens @ Range Master in Memphis. I trained with his group twice before I even moved to TN.

Guest Todd@CIS
At this point I would take a 2-day 1000 round class to learn some fundamentals. From there you will have a base to work from.

+1

If the class is run like it should, you'll receive individual attention even while attending a group class.

Competent instructors and small class sizes insure this.

I happen to know a place... ;)

• Administrator

We've got some good instructors as Supporting Vendors here in TGO. Todd and Dustin at CIS are close by to Nolensville and I've personally been through several of their classes. You'll actually get better training in a small group like this than you might from a one-on-one at this point. You get to learn from everyone's mistakes, not just your own.

;)

My operators certainly gain more from private sessions (up to 2 operators max per private session to keep individual attention and to split the cost) than from group sessions.

If you can find a small group of like minded people that are on a similiar level as you, it would be a great advantage and you will certainly gain more from the training.

You should probably call Todd at CIS and run questions by him to see how you can work this out. Take advantage of CIS as they are close to you and they have nothing but positive reviews (from what I have read). I have never attended a class at CIS but maybe I will just to do some cross training on an instructor level (if that is something they do).

Guest Todd@CIS
You'll actually get better training in a small group like this than you might from a one-on-one at this point. You get to learn from everyone's mistakes, not just your own.

Excellent point.

As David (and other CIS alumni) can attest, I use this method quite a bit.

Ben brings up a good point.

Private instruction certainly has its place, depending on the level of the student. Odd as it sounds, in my opinion, either absolute beginners or very advanced "operators" / competitors would benefit most from private instruction.

"I am new shooter been through HCP and NRA basic handgun course but wanting to take my training to next level."

I'm not sure you'd fit into either of those catagories based on the above statement.

Whatever route you take, and whoever you take it with, I applaud your desire to get more training.

Good luck.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I can highly recommend Tom Givens @ Range Master in Memphis. I trained with his group twice before I even moved to TN.

+1

Take a full weekend class--you'll be able to "take home" and practice what you learned.

Not sure where you live, but Tom Givens may be worth the drive. Like gsbell, I recommend him, too.

I know Suarez (hope I spelled that right) has private lessons on his price list. Always stuck me as funny in a way but I see the logic in it. The other trainers on this board will work with you however you need it.

What you are probably looking for is the local IPDA or IPSC Champion to give you a few pointers. I would suggest some social networking at few matches and make friends. Then take a class or 10 (wishful thinking) from the excellent people who offer classes here.

I look at this from the point of view of my mom or sister. Both can shoot, both are capable of killing someone with a firearm if they had to. But they would be too nervous or self conscious in a class with other people.