Miniguns

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

HPIM0241.jpgHPIM0260.jpg

HPIM0254.jpg

I wanted to see what you guys have on the other side of the spectrum in the way of the smallest guns.

The pen is a teargas propeller. You can see the striker has two positions:

1. pulled back with spring engaged, you nudge the trigger over to actuate the firing pin towards a rimfire/.22 that would be inserted into the end and trapped in place if the working end was bored/enlarged to accept a .22 cartridge

2. at rest, the trigger is pulled back slightly at the detent and the firing pin would stay off the bullet in safety position

This was originally designed as a teargas device during the cold war. You can't see it, but on the other side is the pocket clip.

The other is my grandfather's vest pocket .25 Colt model "N" hammerless circa end of 1918 of which there were 19750 made. They actually make replica versions for airsoft.

That's my Maine Coon's paw to assist.

The pics may come out out of order.

Edited by jackdm3
grammar
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

Well, it is not actually ready to fire a .22 until you drill out the bore. As it sits, it ready to trigger a small teargas cartridge from the end, for which I have none. I just didn't want to drill, so as to keep it original. Here is a site to read more.

EIG Pen Guns

Be sure to go to the "Next Pages" for more good stuff.

I'm thinking that after several shots, the end may deform and become unable to hold the teargas cartridge or a .22. Then what do you got?

Edited by jackdm3
add
  • 2 weeks later...

Your grandfather had good tastes. Nice Colt! These guns are, as you suggest, rare. They are even more rare to be in such good condition with fine grips. Got any more?

Guest jackdm3

That's the end for me. I had hoped to turn this into a thread to see everybodyelse's oddities, but no one picked up on it. The title is "Miniguns", not "MY Miniguns."

Miniguns, Mouseguns, pocket guns, etc. all require defining. I collect older 25 cal. semi-automatic pistols [like the Colt] and my definition of a "mouse gun" is that it must be less than 6" long, weigh 15 ounces or less, and be 25 caliber [anything less is a "plinker" and anything more is a "real" gun].

They are not good CCW pistols, if their "blowback" they can cut you like a razor if you are not careful. They are underpowered for self-defense, but they are a piece of firearm history and some are exceptionally well made. Others are just "saturday night specials."

Mousegunner has an expanded definition of mouseguns and he is an expert. Most people have a really small pistol in their collection [or have had] and some are very powerful. What did you have in mind for your thread? The only oddity I have is a 38 Derringer that I wouldn't let anyone I car about even think about shooting.

Guest jackdm3

Is your Derringer of poor quality? I think that there must be decent Derringers out there. For those that have to conceal very well, like in their underwear, Kel-Tecs, snubbies and such definately religate the Derringers to the back of the shelf.

Never heard of "mouseguns" and didn't know of "pocket" guns until I reseached mine, which I learned to be a "vest gun." I know. Same thing.

I'm not even going to buy .25 ammo for this. I found the instructions to disassemble it for cleaning. But I think I would rather not. I can't think of much reason to carry less than a .40 anyway.

I had just hoped to see other dudes' guns that no one seems to talk about. All you see here is everything from a 9mm to a tank. Which is a large range to handle. The pengun is built to easily convert to a .22 rimfire with just the twist of a drill bit, but I'm not gonna have to deal with nonsensical papers and inspections for it. I asked my grandfather how come he never opened the bore to accept a .22 and he said it was way cool to recognize it with its dual possibilities.

It's called a minigun because it uses a similar design to the m61a1 vulcan cannon but uses small arms caliber ammunition.

Link

The Minigun is a 7.62 mm, multi-barrel machine gun with a high rate of fire (up to 6,000 rounds per minute), employing Gatling-style rotating barrels with an external power source. In popular culture, the term "minigun" has come to refer to any externally-powered Gatling gun of rifle caliber, though the term is sometimes used to refer to guns of similar rates of fire and configuration, regardless of power source and caliber. Specifically, minigun refers to a single weapon, originally produced by General Electric. The "mini" of the name is in comparison to designs that use a similar firing mechanism but larger shells, such as General Electric's earlier 20 mm M61 Vulcan.
Guest Muttling
Its smaller than the Vulcan.

My understanding is that the Vulcan IS a minigun. After all, the M61 is a 7.62mm, multi-barrel.

This said, I've never heard a definitive answer as to what classifies something as a minigun. 20mm or larger can fire high explosive (HE) rounds and are generally categorized as cannons. I always took the multi-barrels not capable of firing HE to be miniguns, but this is just an assumption on my part.

Guest jackdm3

I have been in awe with it ever since Predator came out. 6,000 rounds is ungodly! Have any of you guys been able to afford to even test fire it? I'd think, "Once you've gone Gat, you never go back!"

My understanding is that the Vulcan IS a minigun. After all, the M61 is a 7.62mm, multi-barrel.

This said, I've never heard a definitive answer as to what classifies something as a minigun. 20mm or larger can fire high explosive (HE) rounds and are generally categorized as cannons. I always took the multi-barrels not capable of firing HE to be miniguns, but this is just an assumption on my part.

The M61A1 is 20mm. It is not a minigun. The minigun's designation is M134.

Here is a pic of my mini gun, mouse gun, or whatever you want to call it. It's small! A Colt M 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless. My grandmother carried this gun in her purse every day for as long as I can remember to get her to work and back in a tough part of town. I could remember shooting it when I was a kid so was honored when it was passed down to me. I do carry it now and then and am looking for the right pocket holster, and a new magazine or two. Sure is fun to shoot!

Colt1908VestPocket.jpg