Where to plink in W. TN

Guest jg45

Hi there, I live in Bartlett and do most of my shooting at MSSA. However, My wife and daughter really prefer to go plinking. Used to be you could go and find a creek bed and shoot into it using the sides as backstops. However, i am not sure that is still the case. I was just wondering where in west TN one could do a little plinking? Anyone know any good places? What are the laws regarding this? I don't wan't my guns confiscated by TWRA or anything.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm goin way out on a limb here, but when I was a kid growing up in Memphis and could not shoot out at the family farm near Shelby forest we sometimes went to an old washed out bridge on an old abandoned road just of Highway 51 north of its intersection with Watkins.

Here it is on the map...

memphis - Google Maps

If you look where Millington Rd makes a 90 degree turn south and turns into Overton Crossing, imagine going straight on Millington for about a 1/4 mile. There is an old road there that goes to the bridge site. People have been shooting there for years, at least they were as of 1985!

Edited by Garufa

You definitely need to carry in that neck of the woods.

When you say imagine, do you mean go along the railroad track north along the power lines?

Looks like a nice off road excursion too.

Looking at that, and Bing maps with their birds eye view. The land on either side of the railroad tracks are private property, however, there appears to be a dirt road of sorts on both sides of the rail road tracks that lead to the railroad bridge.

I'm looking at as a place to go off road in the Jeep and a place to fire a round or 100!

Oh, if you have never tried Bing maps, it kicks googles butt in some ways especially if the birdseye view is available.

On a side note, went to my local off road forum here, and across Hwy 51 is an area under the power lines. Lots of 4X4 trails but the there has been some issues with land owners, the police shooting area and erosion under the TVA towers. So just be careful out there, especially if you cross to the west side of Hwy 51

Guest FroggyOne2

I just was down that way this past weekend at MSSA and what a nice facility! Was there to shoot the Tennessee State Mid-Range Chamipionships.. I really like the club and the way that it is laid out. I would say that prob you could do a lil plinking over at the action pistol range on your right after you first come into the facility as long as you make sure that you clean up after your self or maybe over on the old 200 yard rifle range.