Rifle Season

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MathieuP
0645, a large dark figure appears in my field. I wait until he gets out into the middle and has his head down to feed, he's about 65 yrds away. Cross hairs on target, I "squeeze" the trigger. As I look through the cloud of smoke I watch him pull a big U-turn and stops on the same line just 20 yrds closer to me. I put those hairs on him again and "squeeze" the trigger, again. He runs off. I spent almost 2 hrs looking for blood and didn't see a drop. Probably won't see another the rest of the week. Wondering if I should waste my time and sleep. Don't know what happened. Every time I have taken this rifle out it has shot close enough to where it should that I didn't even think about it. :hyper:

Put up some paper at 100 yards and see what is wrong.

Guest Bronker
Why do you think the wife is smiling so big? It ain't cuz I got her outside taking pictures in the dark!

Barb is sooo much the coolness.

She's just humoring you. Believe me, I've seen that smirk.

im actually in the deer stand right now! (hows that for modern technology?) no clean shot opps yet.

dad and i saw a big doe hustle through early this morning... and then around 9am a 6 pointer came out into the field chasing a doe. they jumped around for a bit and she wasnt having any of it so he chased her in the woods....

waiting for something to happen before sundown!

Been pretty slow in the woods this year....

My Facebook is getting a lot of use :)

Need some help on that 15 acres.. :)

I'm glad to hear they are still active and chasing the doe around, I was curious if that had stopped already.

Nope.. love is still in the air. This is as close as he got.. you can see honey through the trees too the right... hope I see him again :lol:

youngbuck.jpg

Well I am going to make every effort to be in my tree stand in the morning. Since the wife is wanting to go to Nashville this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, tomorrow morning will be the only opportunity I will have to hunt this week, so I am taking it.

I wish everyone Good Luck, and a Happy Thanksgiving.

Guest Mugster

I haven't been able to hunt much, just got too busy with work. Looks like you guys are having some fun though. Hopefully, I can get out a few times over the weekend and have a little rut left to enjoy.

What's wrong? Shoot them yotes!

Do you think they'd make good sausage? :screwy:

Seriously, I was elbow deep in blood and guts when I saw them. I didn't really want to grab my rifle at that time. They'd slipped over the hill before I was finished and cleaned up. Usually, I'd have shot a coyote when the opportunity arose, but this morning I was meat hunting. I actually had another cross the field in front of me shortly before I shot the doe. It's a wonder there are any deer left here.

Edited by gregintenn

That's why you shoot them every opportunity you get. They are a tough hardy species so we don't need to worry about wiping them out at this point, just controlling them.

Kinda like them feral pigs in that other thread. Freaking wicked video. I only hope someone is going in behind them and making some BBQ and sausage!

Did you check it before heading to the woods? I mean, before your first time out for the year?

Yeah, ran a box through at Stones River Range two weekends before. All at their 100 yard markers with the scope on 9x. It was good enough at about 4-5 moa I hadn't knocked it good, just the typical climbing stand abuse. I shot it again, 4" down and to the right on 9x. 12-13" high and left on 3x. I rolled the power down on the scope cause the dude was in so close....

I guess thats the first and last Redhead scope I'll buy. ;)