I feel like I cheated

I went to hunt my little 25 acre plot this morning. Got there a litte late & the sun was just starting to show. Anyway, as I'm driving up towards the wood a nice little spike comes walking out & presents me a perfect broadside shot at 120yds.

I figured that between getting there late, the wind being directly from me to him & the rest of the herd being out in the middle of the neighboring field it'd be the only chance I'd get.

I climbed out of the truck, rested my little Rossi .357 against the front door pillar, took aim & shot him. He didn't take a step. Fell over on the spot. Took the top clean off his heart & blew out both lungs.

I drove over to him, tagged & loaded him in the truck & drove home. Total time elapsed from leaving home to getting back with the deer, 25 minutes.

Now I feel like a total heel for having not 'hunted' for this deer, just shooting it.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest billwilly73

If it will make you feel better, bring me the deer and gun after the meet is processed and I'll take it off your hands. Then it will be like there is no proof it ever happened.:cry:

Yea, it happened to me last Sat. My partner and I parked started walking in, we were a little late, and there she stood not 50 yards from the truck. Took the shot and walked on over to a group of trees and across the field stood probably six more. We took two does and a nice big bodied buck, ugly messed up rack though. Took longer to field dress and take to the processor than to hunt. Of course I have spent enough cold empty handed mornings that I didn't feel bad at all about it.

thats my type of hunting. i woke up wednesday went and fed the dog and shot a nice 4 pointer about 100 yds from my house. walked in the woods today climbed in my stand sat down for about two minutes and boom shot a 8 point, it took me longer to climb my fatass back down. two deer in two days no farther than 200 yds for my bed. im just hunting in pajamas tomorrow.:tough:

Guest jackdm3
thats my type of hunting. i woke up wednesday went and fed the dog and shot a nice 4 pointer about 100 yds from my house. walked in the woods today climbed in my stand sat down for about two minutes and boom shot a 8 point, it took me longer to climb my fatass back down. two deer in two days no farther than 200 yds for my bed. im just hunting in pajamas tomorrow.:)

You crack my ass sideways!:koolaid:

While on my hunting trip in NC this year. One afternoon I went to get into my shooting tower 4x4 stand. I walked down the logging road that the stand is on to the stand climbed up the ladder and while unlocking the lock to get into the stand I almost dropped the lock and it banged into the side of the stand making all kinds of racket. I get the door open put my rifle inside and climb in. While standing up hunched over because the stand is only 5 foot tall and I am 6'2" to take off my fanny pack before I sit down and while taking off my field glasses I drop them and they bang on the floor. I sit down and pick them up. When I sit back up I just happen to look down the opposite way from where I walked into the stand and right in the middle of the road 100 yards away is a big old doe standing there looking up my way. I reach around and get my rifle and bolt a round into the chamber and ease it out the shooting window and pop her. Sometimes when you do everything wrong it turns out right.

Batting for deer is legal in NC. Use ear corn. If you use shelled corn the turkeys will eat it all up. The turkeys are like many on well-fare. If they have to work for a meal they won't. Thy would have to peck on an ear of corn for a while to get some off so they don't pay it any attention.

Edited by 1shot