do you let others know you carry?

It could also be said that possibly those that conceal and want to keep it a big secret do so because they have grandiose dreams of being the hero that saves the day, because some bad guy didn't know he was carrying.

I don't care so much who knows I carry, because it can also serve as a deterrance. You're better to prevent a bad situation than to try and deal with one that has already started.

Well, the question is which is the grandiose dream - saving the day because a BG doesn't know you have a gun or deterring a crime because they know you do have one.

Personally, if I'm a thug, I want you to open carry. You will be my first victim and I'll know I'm getting another gun out of the deal.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Engloid
Well, the question is which is the grandiose dream - saving the day because a BG doesn't know you have a gun or deterring a crime because they know you do have one.

Robberies frequently happen in the presence of cops too, huh? ;) If the average bad guy knows somebody has a gun on their hip, they'll just wait a few minutes till they leave.

Guest canynracer

This begs to differ the argument...crime DEFINATLEY happens in front of cops

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/officers.shot.ap/index.html

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A police officer walked into a doughnut shop Wednesday while it was being robbed and was shot in the head, authorities said, becoming the third officer in four days to be wounded by gunfire in this city.

art.phila.cops.ap.jpg Philadelphia SWAT officers gather near the store where an officer was shot during a robbery Wednesday.

left_gray_btn.gif

1 of 3

next.gif

corner_wire_BL.gif

The 54-year-old officer, Charles Cassidy, was checking on a Dunkin' Donuts shop around 10 a.m., Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said. The robber shot him almost immediately after the officer walked in.

"He actually walks into a robbery, a holdup, unbeknownst to him," Johnson said.

The bullet went through the officer's brain, the commissioner said. He was taken to a hospital, where doctors were "doing everything they can to save his life," Johnson said.

The robber left the shop, returned to pick up the officer's gun and then fled, Johnson said.

Police swarmed the North Philadelphia neighborhood in a search for the gunman, combing the area on foot, in squad cars and in a police helicopter. More than a dozen schools in the area were locked down.

Mayor John F. Street said he met with the officer's family at the hospital. "We told them we're going to catch the perpetrator of this act," Street said at a news conference.

The shooting came about 12 hours after a masked gunman shot Traffic Officer Mario Santiago in the shoulder during a chase downtown.

Santiago was responding to a report of a gunman in a sport utility vehicle shooting at another car, injuring two men and a woman, police said.

After Santiago chased the SUV, the gunman eventually got out of his vehicle and approached the squad car, firing twice through the window. Santiago was hit once in the right shoulder, Johnson said.

Santiago survived, but his condition was not known Wednesday morning.

The gunman in that shooting apparently jumped into the Schuylkill River, where searchers later recovered a body. Police said Wednesday morning that they had not determined if it was the suspect's body.

Early Sunday, an officer responding to a melee at a West Philadelphia nightclub was shot in the ankle. More than two dozen bullets were fired, police said. One suspect was fatally shot and another was arrested

This begs to differ the argument...crime DEFINATLEY happens in front of cops

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/31/officers.shot.ap/index.html

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A police officer walked into a doughnut shop Wednesday while it was being robbed and was shot in the head, authorities said, becoming the third officer in four days to be wounded by gunfire in this city.

art.phila.cops.ap.jpg Philadelphia SWAT officers gather near the store where an officer was shot during a robbery Wednesday.

left_gray_btn.gif

1 of 3

next.gif

corner_wire_BL.gif

The 54-year-old officer, Charles Cassidy, was checking on a Dunkin' Donuts shop around 10 a.m., Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said. The robber shot him almost immediately after the officer walked in.

"He actually walks into a robbery, a holdup, unbeknownst to him," Johnson said.

The bullet went through the officer's brain, the commissioner said. He was taken to a hospital, where doctors were "doing everything they can to save his life," Johnson said.

The robber left the shop, returned to pick up the officer's gun and then fled, Johnson said.

Police swarmed the North Philadelphia neighborhood in a search for the gunman, combing the area on foot, in squad cars and in a police helicopter. More than a dozen schools in the area were locked down.

Mayor John F. Street said he met with the officer's family at the hospital. "We told them we're going to catch the perpetrator of this act," Street said at a news conference.

The shooting came about 12 hours after a masked gunman shot Traffic Officer Mario Santiago in the shoulder during a chase downtown.

Santiago was responding to a report of a gunman in a sport utility vehicle shooting at another car, injuring two men and a woman, police said.

After Santiago chased the SUV, the gunman eventually got out of his vehicle and approached the squad car, firing twice through the window. Santiago was hit once in the right shoulder, Johnson said.

Santiago survived, but his condition was not known Wednesday morning.

The gunman in that shooting apparently jumped into the Schuylkill River, where searchers later recovered a body. Police said Wednesday morning that they had not determined if it was the suspect's body.

Early Sunday, an officer responding to a melee at a West Philadelphia nightclub was shot in the ankle. More than two dozen bullets were fired, police said. One suspect was fatally shot and another was arrested

That is horrible, but I can't help but notice the irony. A donut shop? Wow...

Sometimes your number is just up... It certainly helps to have situational awareness though, instead of walking into an unknown situation unprepared.

It would be hard to argue that anyone, carrying or not, would not have been immediatly shot by the robber in the above situation. If both people did have a chance to recognize and react to each other, however, which method of carry do you think would offer the fastest draw if necessary?

Personally, if there was time to react, I'd be seeking cover (or leaving through the door I just entered) instead of drawing down on a fellow with a gun already pointed at me.

fellow with a gun already pointed at me.

It would be near impossible to get you gun otu and use it before this guy can pull a trigger. OCing or CCing would not matter. Neither gun might see any air.

The key is to be aware. I do not know the layoput of the donut shop but usually they have a lot of windows. Bad guy was probably behind the counter and harder to see.

But I will bet a dollar to a donut that the cop was not paying attention.

Guest canynracer
That is horrible. But it being a doughnut shop does make it ironic. And notice that the robber came back for the free gun. I think someone in this thread suggested that might happen to OCers. Oh yeah, that was me who said it....

That is correct Mars...I posted to Engloids response to your comment about OC

Robberies frequently happen in the presence of cops too, huh? :mad: If the average bad guy knows somebody has a gun on their hip, they'll just wait a few minutes till they leave.

I was just being my normal smart !@#@ self :eek:

Poor guy. He just went in for a coffee break and got shot. Or he went in on a routine check. The story seems to change.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/officers.shot.ap/index.html

The officer came in twice a day for a large coffee with cream and sugar, shop employee Sandra Kim said. "He's always nice to all the employees," she said. "The officer was just coming in for a cup of coffee like normal."

Johnson said the officer was doing a routine check on the shop, which had been robbed September 18. He said he didn't think the robber got away with any money.

If you click on the video, the LEO explaining the action says officer Cassidy was told outside the shop that a robbery might be in progress in the shop. The place had been robbed in September as well. Cassidy put his hand on his service weapon and entered the shop. Before he could draw the weapon, he was shot.

the LEO explaining the action says officer Cassidy was told outside the shop that a robbery might be in progress in the shop. The place had been robbed in September as well. Cassidy put his hand on his service weapon and entered the shop. Before he could draw the weapon, he was shot.

Probably would not have mattered but should he have had his service weapon already drawn.

I feel bad for his loved ones, I don't know how you get over things like this.

Hopefully the killer will be caught and spend the rest of his life in misery behind bars waiting for the death penalty to be carried out.

Probably would not have mattered but should he have had his service weapon already drawn.

I don't think that would be procedure. He wasn't told a robbery was taking place, just that one MIGHT be happening. If you are a cop and come into a place with your gun drawn and there is no robbery, you are in trouble.

It's a hard call.

Guest Hyaloid

I don't really care who knows I carry. Most relatives know, most good friends know, and my employees know.

I don't go out of my way to advertise it (except when I OC :P ), nor do I hide or shy away form it. It is what it is.