1911 advice

nolo

I am in the market for a new 1911. I want to go with a stainless or satin finish. I saw a Dan Wilson that I fell in love with right off the bat. I haven't fired one, but it feel like a high quality gun. I also looked at a Springfield Loaded and Operator. The trigger pull felt a little heavy on the Loaded compared to my Kimber. It will not be my main carry piece, but will get carried some. I am in limbo between a 5" and a commander. Any advice on either the SA or DW would be appreciated. I would like to stay around $1000, preferably on the lower side.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. I've not shot anything that I like better. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. And it's so beautiful, I almost enjoy looking at it and holding it as much as shooting it. Almost.

I own a 10MM CBOB it is my favorite pistol. So much so I just bought a .45 CBOB.

Two CBOBs, now that's love. I think that says it all.

I've been on the lookout for good deal a 5" Dan Wesson to fill out my collection. I was hoping to get my hands on a Pointman recently but the timing just didn't work out.

If you find a good deal on a DW, take it. You won't be sorry. And if you don't take it, make sure you let me know about it.

Guest Muttling
I think the biggest thing now is deciding between a 5" and a commander.

My girlfriend didn't spend a lot of time debating that one. She picked the Mutt Commander!!!! Girth AND penetration.

I have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. I've not shot anything that I like better. I can't think of anything negative to say about it. And it's so beautiful, I almost enjoy looking at it and holding it as much as shooting it. Almost.

+1 on the CBOB .45

Get it now, cause DW is going to stop making them for anywhere but the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

I've got a SA Loaded Commander. Very nice pistol for the money. I wouldn't trade my Nighthawk for it, but it cost a fair bit more!

I'm a fan of the Commander for carry. It's still big but I manage to lug it around pretty well. The shorter barrel 1911's have a reputation for being a little more finicky that their big brothers. That said, I've had no trouble from my SA. I have had a couple of FTF, all in the first 150 rounds through the gun. Since then, no problems at all.

If you are going to carry it, I'd recommend the Commander. If its a range only gun, get the full size.

I honestly don't know how much I will carry it because I have a Glock 30 that I carry the majority of the time. The Dan Wessons are tough to find. I'll probably have to order one, but I would rather buy one I can see at a shop.

How is the trigger pull on a Springfield? I have only shot their GI 1911s.

I have a Dan Wesson Pointman 7, that I absolutely love. You know, if you wanted to stay around $1000.00, you could always pick up a decent 1911 and have a little work done on it. Perhaps a Springfield GI, with a new grip safety, sights, trigger, etc...?

I like the Loaded, too, as you mentioned, but I'd like to get some trigger work done to one, should I ever buy it. Just for ****s and giggles, you may want to look at a Para Ordnance SSP in stainless - I have one also, and I love it - great gun, quality build, and tight. No rattle-BS, and shoots wonderfully.

I am not a huge fan of a Para. What about a Colt XSE either the commander or the government model? I saw one today at a shop and liked the feel of it, except the grip safety.

The XSE is a fine handgun. I have only handled one, not shot, but it was a pleasure to handle, and seemed to be of quality. I'd rather have the Government model, but the Commander would make for a good carry.

I am not a huge fan of a Para. What about a Colt XSE either the commander or the government model? I saw one today at a shop and liked the feel of it, except the grip safety.

I also agree with Moody in that the XSE is a fine pistol. There's just something about the Dan Wesson :up: