Reps/Senators to contact about fixing resturant bill

Hey guys, I did some leg work to find all the Reps and Senators who voted for the original bill or for overriding the veto.

Please ask them to add the text below to TN code 39-17-1305 under part C:

"(3) authorized to carry a weapon pursuant to TCA 39-17-1351."

Here are the people who voted FOR the veto override so you have easy access who to contact.

House

rep.judy.barker@capitol.tn.gov

rep.eddie.bass@capitol.tn.gov

rep.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

rep.stratton.bone@capitol.tn.gov

rep.willie.borchert@capitol.tn.gov

rep.harry.brooks@capitol.tn.gov

rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov

rep.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov

rep.joe.carr@capitol.tn.gov

rep.glen.casada@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jim.cobb@capitol.tn.gov

rep.ty.cobb@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jim.coley@capitol.tn.gov

rep.charles.curtiss@capitol.tn.gov

rep.vince.dean@capitol.tn.gov

rep.vance.dennis@capitol.tn.gov

rep.bill.dunn@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jimmy.eldridge@capitol.tn.gov

rep.joshua.evans@capitol.tn.gov

rep.chad.faulkner@capitol.tn.gov

rep.dennis.ferguson@capitol.tn.gov

rep.henry.fincher@capitol.tn.gov

rep.richard.floyd@capitol.tn.gov

rep.dale.ford@capitol.tn.gov

rep.george.fraley@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jim.hackworth@capitol.tn.gov

rep.curtis.halford@capitol.tn.gov

rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov

rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov

rep.ryan.haynes@capitol.tn.gov

rep.joey.hensley@capitol.tn.gov

rep.matthew.hill@capitol.tn.gov

rep.curtis.johnson@capitol.tn.gov

rep.phillip.johnson@capitol.tn.gov

rep.ron.lollar@capitol.tn.gov

rep.susan.lynn@capitol.tn.gov

rep.mark.maddox@capitol.tn.gov

rep.debra.maggart@capitol.tn.gov

rep.judd.matheny@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jimmy.matlock@capitol.tn.gov

rep.joe.mccord@capitol.tn.gov

rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov

rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov

rep.michael.mcdonald@capitol.tn.gov

rep.steve.mcmanus@capitol.tn.gov

rep.richard.montgomery@capitol.tn.gov

rep.gary.moore@capitol.tn.gov

rep.jason.mumpower@capitol.tn.gov

rep.frank.niceley@capitol.tn.gov

rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov

rep.bob.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov

rep.barrett.rich@capitol.tn.gov

rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov

rep.donna.rowland@capitol.tn.gov

charles.sargent@capitol.tn.gov

rep.david.shepard@capitol.tn.gov

rep.tony.shipley@capitol.tn.gov

rep.eric.swafford@capitol.tn.gov

rep.john.tidwell@capitol.tn.gov

rep.harry.tindell@capitol.tn.gov

rep.curry.todd@capitol.tn.gov

rep.eric.watson@capitol.tn.gov

rep.terri.lynn.weaver@capitol.tn.gov

rep.ben.west@capitol.tn.gov

rep.john.windle@capitol.tn.gov

rep.eddie.yokley@capitol.tn.gov

speaker.kent.williams@capitol.tn.gov

Missing from website

Curt Cobb (resigned in July for another gov job and I don't know who replaced him)

Brian Kelsey (see below, switched to Senate)

Republicans missing in action.

rep.beth.harwell@capitol.tn.gov (voted against the bill the first time!!!)

rep.pat.marsh@capitol.tn.gov (doesn't have him ever voting for the bill either way)

rep.jon.lundberg@capitol.tn.gov (voted for the original bill, probably wasn't there for the override)

Senate

sen.tim.barnes@capitol.tn.gov

sen.mae.beavers@capitol.tn.gov

sen.diane.black@capitol.tn.gov

sen.tim.burchett@capitol.tn.gov

sen.rusty.crowe@capitol.tn.gov

sen.mike.faulk@capitol.tn.gov

sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov

sen.dolores.gresham@capitol.tn.gov

sen.roy.herron@capitol.tn.gov

sen.doug.jackson@capitol.tn.gov

sen.jack.johnson@capitol.tn.gov

sen.bill.ketron@capitol.tn.gov

sen.randy.mcnally@capitol.tn.gov

sen.mark.norris@capitol.tn.gov

sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

lt.gov.ron.ramsey@capitol.tn.gov

sen.jim.tracy@capitol.tn.gov

sen.bo.watson@capitol.tn.gov

sen.jamie.woodson@capitol.tn.gov

sen.ken.yager@capitol.tn.gov

It has Paul Stanley in the vote, but he's resigned and Brian Kelsey won his seat. Brian voted FOR the bill in the house. His email should be:

sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov

Republicans missing in actiont: (However, it doesn't list that they voted against it, so they may have not been there for the vote as it doesn't say they voted "present")

sen.dewayne.bunch@capitol.tn.gov

sen.steve.southerland@capitol.tn.gov

So really we only have one republican (Rep. Beth Harwell) who has gone on record as being anti-gun carry. The others probably missed the vote as they voted for the bill the first time.

So there is the list of people you need to write.

Matthew

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be helpful to see what they've come up with and has been filed first.

Why? Does it need to be any other way to get the law as it should be? I don't see how they could make the law any looser and it certainly doesn't need to be any tighter. So I'd just flat up tell them this is what the law SHOULD be.

I believe Doug Jackson is the one writing what's going to be introduced in Jan, so I may write him to see what he's thinking.

Matthew

Brian Kelsey was very vocal the first time, especially for a newbie Rep. Naife tried to put the slap down on him, but IMO, came out looking like a horses arse.....well even more so than before.

§ 39-17-1305. Sale of alcoholic beverages; premises; possession of firearms

(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption.

(:rock: A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

© The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to a person who is:

(1) In the actual discharge of official duties as a law enforcement officer, or is employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard in the line of duty and pursuant to military regulations, or is in the actual discharge of duties as a correctional officer employed by a penal institution;

(2) On the person's own premises or premises under the person's control or who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property;

(3) authorized to carry a weapon pursuant to TCA 39-17-1351.

No need to address the issue of consumption because a separate law addresses that issue in all locations:

39-17-1321. Possession of handgun while under influence — Penalty. —

(a) Notwithstanding whether a person has a permit issued pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351, it is an offense for a person to possess a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.

(:D A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Nor do we need to address the issue of the desire of some places to post since that provision of the law has been on the books under 39-17-1359 for many years as well without significant problem.

This is what the legislation should say. it needs to be included in the letters and faxes to the Legislators. I took this from another site, from an attorney (John Harris) who understands the legal system, and the way the legislature works in Tennessee.

Edited by Worriedman

Why can't we just have the leader of the NRA create a list of restaurant or place that doesn't support the right to carry and we just banned ourself from those places. Make the list public so those places that want our bussiness call the NRA to take their name of the list. Is their such a list for TN that we can create or is there already on created? I only want to support those bussiness. It is so frustrating to me to carry that I am almost giving up but I need to protect my family so I am risking fines, etc.

Guest HexHead

I believe Doug Jackson is the one writing what's going to be introduced in Jan, so I may write him to see what he's thinking.

Matthew

Well, this is part of an email he sent me last week....

We are drafting the bill now. It should be filed next week.

He said they'd considered a suggestion I made, but mentioned no specifics of what was being filed.

Edited by HexHead
Why can't we just have the leader of the NRA create a list of restaurant or place that doesn't support the right to carry and we just banned ourself from those places. Make the list public so those places that want our bussiness call the NRA to take their name of the list. Is their such a list for TN that we can create or is there already on created? I only want to support those bussiness. It is so frustrating to me to carry that I am almost giving up but I need to protect my family so I am risking fines, etc.

It is a State issue, so therefore the NRA is not that interested. Don't get me wrong, I am a Life Member of the NRA, I support them monetarily and with my labor as well, but I have contacted them numerous times with respect to State and local topics, and I get the "We play on the national stage" answer.

This is our issue, it is our legislators who tried to give us the Law we asked for. It is ours to correct. If we do not stand up and force the issue, nobody else will. We have before us an opportunity to prove that the legal gun owning public is strong, united and ready to fight for our rights. We can get in the game and win, or sit on our hands and go the way of California.

Guest Tygarys

There is already a list here, and over at the TFA forums as well for this. Carry laws, and banned/prohibited places change from state to state, so it would take a huge amount of the NRA's time to compile lists like this.

Also, I hate to bash the NRA, but when it comes to state issues in my experience they are usually the last to find out.

There is already a list here, and over at the TFA forums as well for this. Carry laws, and banned/prohibited places change from state to state, so it would take a huge amount of the NRA's time to compile lists like this.

Also, I hate to bash the NRA, but when it comes to state issues in my experience they are usually the last to find out.

I have gotten a notice from NRA from most of the pending legislation in TN before it happens.

They even pinged me on the Knoxville City Council meetings re the carry in parks decision.

But you're right, they don't get involved much in this sort of stuff except to attempt to notify members within the pertinent area.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
It might be helpful to see what they've come up with and has been filed first.

TN senator tries again at guns-in-bars bill

Plan is clearer than overturned law, he says

TN senator tries again at guns-in-bars bill | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, said he would like to see another exemption so permit holders could carry their guns as long as the owner didn't ban them.
This is what I was hoping for. I don't think it would fly for them to try to pass a law that would not allow owners to ban guns. Edited by Volzfan
John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, said he would like to see another exemption so permit holders could carry their guns as long as the owner didn't ban them.
This is what I was hoping for. I don't think it would fly for them to try to pass a law that would not allow owners to ban guns.

Any restaurant could have posted, disallowing guns, under the law that was found vague. But make them post if they want to. That was the crux of the matter for Rayburn, he wanted the State to do it for him, no balls!

Edited by Fallguy
Fix quote error...
Guest HexHead

Any restaurant could have posted, disallowing guns, under the law that was found vague. But make them post if they want to. That was the crux of the matter for Rayburn, he wanted the State to do it for him, no balls!

Hence, now they shouldn't be allowed to post at all.

Edited by Fallguy
Fix quote error...
Guest HexHead

While I feel any place shouldn't be able to post....why/how single out restaurants as the only property owners that can't post?

I wasn't singling out restaurant owners. I'm in agreement with you.

Then again, it would be awfully nice if by constantly screwing with us they end up in a worse position. :D

Edited by Fallguy
Fix quote error...

I like the simple exemption for those with permits and no extra silly wording.

I also think who cares about signs....change that law to get rid of the chance of the fine for those with signs.....a lot of states signs mean nothing....I've heard it rumored that no one with a permit has been charged over a sign...so what is the point of even having a fine as a possible penalty? Get rid of that stupid $500 fine and just make property owners tell you to leave if found out.

I would not go for the idea of only letting those with permits carry in places that have a state issued liquor license...but not those that just sell beer...that is silly and backward sounding and more confusion...it is so much easier just to give those with permits an exemption just like off duty police.

Edited by 270win

If we waste this opportunity to get the exemption for HCP holders, it may never come again. The splinters left in voter's mouths at this point with all the sticks used to tamp down the Health Care Bill and Stimulus mess which has been shoved down our throats, should be used to ramp up our effort to get the attention of our Legislators. If we do not get up on our soap boxes at this point in time, we have only ourselves to blame.

Simple exemption for HCP holders, the current law allows owners to post.

I tend to agree....

The law was not challenged (legally) because of the "dangers" of guns and alcohol being in the same place. They (petitioners and judge) said it was too vague.

Simply argue that a general exception removes any vagueness and each property owner can still choose whether to post or not.

In fact one could say unlike smoking and other things where a property owner has no choice, the state would be giving the power back to the property owner to choose.

Guest HexHead
I tend to agree....

The law was not challenged (legally) because of the "dangers" of guns and alcohol being in the same place. They (petitioners and judge) said it was too vague.

Simply argue that a general exception removes any vagueness and each property owner can still choose whether to post or not.

In fact one could say unlike smoking and other things where a property owner has no choice, the state would be giving the power back to the property owner to choose.

Just remember, the decision didn't come down on the side of the "Rayburn" plaintiffs, all their arguments were dismissed. It came down on the side of the 2 HCP plaintiffs, John Does 10 & 11, that said the law was vague. This is actually an important distinction.

Just remember, the decision didn't come down on the side of the "Rayburn" plaintiffs, all their arguments were dismissed. It came down on the side of the 2 HCP plaintiffs, John Does 10 & 11, that said the law was vague. This is actually an important distinction.

True enough, but wasn't that basically because their argument about the "dangers of guns alcohol" seemed to be so week they didn't even present it?

Guest HexHead
True enough, but wasn't that basically because their argument about the "dangers of guns alcohol" seemed to be so week they didn't even present it?

She threw out their OSHA and delegation of police powers arguments.

Here's the response I got from Doug Jackson when I asked him to simply make the law open to all permit holders where alcohol is served:

I agree with you. If I had my way, permit holders could carry anywhere. Law abiding citizens should not even have to obtain a permit in order to carry but that is not politically possible.

Now, can you and John clear the committee hurdles, get 50 votes in the house and 17 in the senate, then override a veto? Understand that there are political considerations to achieving progress for gun owners. I have 24 years of experience in the legislature. What I am proposing is the most prudent way to proceed, in my judgement.

Do you want to give up carry in restaurants with liquor licenses just because beer only establishments are not included? Beer taverns and honky tonks will be a hard sell to some members who have supported restaurant carry. It gives our opponents a powerful argument to defeat us.

Doug Jackson

I am going to email him back asking for a list of reps/senators who voted for the old law, but wouldn't vote for a blanket carry where alcohol is served. If we get a list we can start targeting those people and hopefully get other reps/senators to help nudge them in the "right" direction.

Matthew

One problem though is not every place that serves beer only is a tavern or honky tonk.

I know this is a bit selfish, but considering the county I live in doesn't have liquor by the drink and only about one county within an hours drive of me does, I would rather see all or nothing. Because carrying in liquor only places is not going to help me as much.

Also I know people can look on on the web to see has a liquor license, but by just looking from the outside, how is a person supposed to know if a place serves liquor or not any more if they knew if the met the definition of a restaurant or not.

I under Sen Jackson's reasoning, but I think a liquor only bill would be more of a problem than before.