Stirrin' the pot!

Guest c.a.s.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned both, I still own 870's. 3" Mag Express is my turkey/deer/duck gun-it just shoots. My 500 Mossberg was some type of pot metal I cannot describe appropriately in mixed company.

I bought the Mossberg as an extra for turkey/duck shooting. Shooting the same shells as I shot in the Remington, the Mossberg would invariably catch following ejection of a hull.

I have NEVER had one bit of trouble from the 870. I've shot 1000's of 12 ga 3" magnums thru it, not to mention dove loads and it has never failed me. I believe it's just gettin' broke in.

Both were synthetic stocked hunting guns. The Mossberg never could cut the mustard. I sold it to a man who needed something to throw behind the seat of his pickup for $75. I still feel bad for taking that man's money......

Aluminum is pot metal now? I guess all the AR-15s are low-quality pot metal junk then!

Oddly enough, I've never had any of the described problems.

Guest kennymc
They are both fine and time proven shotguns. Neither, however, can hold a candle to the apex of pump action shotguns.....the Ithaca Model 37.:)

I just got my first 37 from a guy who is also on this board. No way he is getting it back. I haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet :(

It is purty to just look at.

ETA: on topic. I have had 870s double feed, annoying but easy to clear. I had a 590 that would occasionally "drop" a round out, rather than lift it into the chamber, nothing really to clear but also still annoying.

Edited by kennymc

Unless your looking for a hunting gun....My vote is an Old '97

Many years ago, Winchester conducted a durability test on a random gun pulled off the assembly line, and over a 25+ year period, they fired more than 1.25 million shells through it. The firing pin was replaced just one time

Call me when a Mossy or a Remmy can do that.

BTW I have owned both a Remmy and a Mossy,.. they served me well and never gave me trouble but the WIN stays here I can always get a Mossy cheap from a Rem fan and a Rem cheap from a Mossy fan...but an original '97 American made,or an old 1912,..not a 1200 a 1912 or '12 they are hard to come by...

:hiding:

John

Unless your looking for a hunting gun....My vote is an Old '97

Many years ago, Winchester conducted a durability test on a random gun pulled off the assembly line, and over a 25+ year period, they fired more than 1.25 million shells through it. The firing pin was replaced just one time

Call me when a Mossy or a Remmy can do that.

BTW I have owned both a Remmy and a Mossy,.. they served me well and never gave me trouble but the WIN stays here I can always get a Mossy cheap from a Rem fan and a Rem cheap from a Mossy fan...but an original '97 American made,or an old 1912,..not a 1200 a 1912 or '12 they are hard to come by...

:hiding:

John

Winchester Fanboi :tough: Just kidding I wish I could find an Old 97 for the right price.

After seeing the wars it sprouts on other forums, I decided to see what everyone thinks about this classic debate.

Remington 870 Vs. Mossberg 500/590.

Hopefully everyone here is more sensible and picks the more appropriate opinion of "whatever works better for you".

I agree, the M1200 and M1300 are good, as the consensus everywhere I have seen stands. There is always a flame war about Mossberg vs. Remington, though. It starts out with someone asking what to look for in a home-defense shotgun, someone mentions Mossberg, Remington fanboy freaks, Mossberg fanboy freaks at them, the Saiga people jump in, followed by off-brand followers.

This will end the way all these shotgun threads end. The 870 is a proven performer that has been around since way before you were born.

If you want to call those that have knowledge and experience “Fanboysâ€; so be it. But I would suggest that since you have your mind made up, you buy what you want and don’t worry so much about getting your feelings hurt because everyone doesn’t agree with your choice. :D

This will end the way all these shotgun threads end. The 870 is a proven performer that has been around since way before you were born.

If you want to call those that have knowledge and experience “Fanboysâ€; so be it. But I would suggest that since you have your mind made up, you buy what you want and don’t worry so much about getting your feelings hurt because everyone doesn’t agree with your choice. :D

And just like that, the Mossberg has ALSO been proven by military and police everywhere as well.

If you want to call a well-designed a tough shotgun crap, you can deal with it when people call you out on it that you're a fanboy.

Guest clownsdd

I got my 1st remington pump in '62, not sure if it was an 870 or not, I know my rem auto is the predecessor to the 1100, but have 3 870's in the cabinet now. Just like the feel of it.

I got my 1st remington pump in '62, not sure if it was an 870 or not, I know my rem auto is the predecessor to the 1100, but have 3 870's in the cabinet now. Just like the feel of it.

Predecessor to the 1100?

Do tell. Got a model number for it? It sounds interesting.

Oddly enough, I've never had any of the described problems.

Is that based on your years of experience? :D

And just like that, the Mossberg has ALSO been proven by military and police everywhere as well.

If you want to call a well-designed a tough shotgun crap, you can deal with it when people call you out on it that you're a fanboy.

I’m just having fun… you titled this thread “Stirrin' the pot!†That’s what I’m doing. :D

I didn’t call any shot gun crap; don’t put words in my mouth. You learned a new word “Fanboyâ€â€¦ we get it. I guess that is what I am.

You seem to need a pat on the back telling you that you did good. So here it is… pat, pat pat… you did good kid. As long as you are happy that is all that counts. thumbsup.gif

Predecessors to the 1100

The Sportsman 48 or an 11-48 however you probably wouldn't like them...

they are all machined steel and oil finished wood,.. blued finish bead front sight 2 3/4" shells only 5 rounds total most you will find plugged to 3 rounds...

no collapsible stock,or polymer stocks,no rails,lights,vertical fore grips,sidesaddles,porting,fiber optic ghost rings,ventilated heat shield hand guards,mag extensions or ...even sling swivels :eek: or changeable chokes,ported or extended

no holes in the stock for mercury recoil reducers,no variable gas system...:D and no Alu-mini-umm parts

Nope not tacti-cool or tacti-coolable guns there.....

:stir::stir::stir::stir::D

John