Stirrin' the pot!

Guest c.a.s.

After seeing the wars it sprouts on other forums, I decided to see what everyone thinks about this classic debate.

Remington 870 Vs. Mossberg 500/590.

Hopefully everyone here is more sensible and picks the more appropriate opinion of "whatever works better for you".

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, it is about whatever you like. However, my thoughts about the 500 is that they are really sloppy. The 870 seems to have a more solid feel to it, but like the previous post said, I have never seen either fail. I have had both but kept only the 870.

that is too broad of a question.

there are two questions here,

1. which is better, Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500?

2. which is better, Remington 870 (Wingmaster or Police Magnum) or Mossberg 590?

I personally prefer the 870, probably because that is what I grew up bird hunting with and Im familiar with it.

Guest That Guy

Love my 1300, Jackdm3!

My 870 Mag is a workhorse. Never had an issue. Haven't put the 500 through the "ringer". Based on the comments and opinions of people I trust, I would have no problem relying on a 590-A1 for any application. I would, however, have to replace the plastic safety. I do like the safety's position. With that said, I think the 500/590 series feel a little loose or sloppy. Just a perception of mine. That is why I prefer the good 'ole 870.

The 870 is a great shotgun!

I believe it rates up there with the M1 Garand, 1911 Colt, 03 Springfield and any good 22. One of each is all you need.

OK, maybe an AR, AK, etc, etc.

I got my first Wingmaster 32 years ago and decided it was all the shotgun I would ever need.

Both great guns. I have had them both and neither has failed but I'd have to say the Mossberg is gone for no reason other than it always felt cheaper than the 870. I know some feel the safety on the Mossy is better placed but if you're used to shooting Remington's of any kind the safety position isn't a problem.

In short it comes down to a matter of preference because unless you have a lemon they are both great shotguns. Like jackdm3 and That guy said also...don't throw throw the 1300 out the window either, but that comparison wasn't asked for.

I agree, the M1200 and M1300 are good, as the consensus everywhere I have seen stands. There is always a flame war about Mossberg vs. Remington, though. It starts out with someone asking what to look for in a home-defense shotgun, someone mentions Mossberg, Remington fanboy freaks, Mossberg fanboy freaks at them, the Saiga people jump in, followed by off-brand followers.

Both guns are good and will probley out last the owner. I have both and have never had a problem. The newer Remingtons are now full of mim parts think pot metal such as the extractor and other internals. The older ones were made much better looking at them side by side. I would say the mossberg is probley better now than a current 870 express i had one and sold it.

They are both fine and time proven shotguns. Neither, however, can hold a candle to the apex of pump action shotguns.....the Ithaca Model 37.:tinfoil:

I would agree.... If the pump release was in a better position.

No, I don't have a clue what the real use for the release is other than emptying the chamber without shooting it, but ergonomics still matter.

Doesn't mean I don't really, really want one. An older 37-P, preferably. But they are out of my price range.

Guest TurboniumOxide

Obvious troll admits that troll is obvious. :death:

I have a 500A mossberg with the surefire lighted forearm. There are many like it but this one is mine. I do not like the safety position, but the gun never fails to go boom. I say get both, or all of the above. I want an 870.

I personally have never seen a 870 fail.

However, back in 2003 when I was at the police academy range in OK, some officers took their NIB Mossberg 500's out for the first time.

Loaded them up, went to shoot and had nothing but FTF, FTE, short stroking, what have you. If you can imagine a problem happening with a pump shotgun, we had it happen that day.

That being said, I have owned both 500's and 870's. The 870 has been more reliable in my experience, had a more solid "feel" to it, and has a better/more affordable (by a little bit) aftermarket than the 500.

Sounds like training problems to me. They sure seemed reliable when they were issued to several military branches. They're still used, for that matter. And it's predecessor, built pretty much for the purpose, the 590, is still in service as well. While the Benelli M4 is issue now, they still haven't phased them all out.

The information I've gathered from anecdotes in forums has been that the Mossberg is more reliable out of the box, even if it isn't as smooth. For key reasons. The tolerances aren't as tight, which makes it easier to use out-of-spec ammunition (like Winchester's bulk walmart special birdshot), and operate in a dirty environment. It smooths out with use, as the parts get worn, like any pumpgun should.

I know our 500 has been 100%. Sure, I don't have a multi-thousand roundcount, but it sure as hell isn't zero.

Guest BigCountry

I've owned both, I still own 870's. 3" Mag Express is my turkey/deer/duck gun-it just shoots. My 500 Mossberg was some type of pot metal I cannot describe appropriately in mixed company.

I bought the Mossberg as an extra for turkey/duck shooting. Shooting the same shells as I shot in the Remington, the Mossberg would invariably catch following ejection of a hull.

I have NEVER had one bit of trouble from the 870. I've shot 1000's of 12 ga 3" magnums thru it, not to mention dove loads and it has never failed me. I believe it's just gettin' broke in.

Both were synthetic stocked hunting guns. The Mossberg never could cut the mustard. I sold it to a man who needed something to throw behind the seat of his pickup for $75. I still feel bad for taking that man's money......