How prepared are you mentally?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How prepared are you mentally?

Did a little looking around and could not find anything about this. How prepared are you mentally for personal defense. Whether it is with your weapon, hands or any other defense weapon. When I was in martial arts teaching self defense yearssss ago and a lot younger, we taught an elevated code threat mentality green safe, yellow caution, red danger, etc. Does being a CCW make you more relaxed about this or more aware. And I am not talking about BOB, SHTF, just every day to day living out and about stuff. Also as an afterthought does the holidays make you think about it more so.

Sorry guys getting kinda off topic here. All I was wondering if anyone thinks about being prepared.

Thanks, but I don't get off on trinkets.

Dude are you seriously a vet attacking another vet over your OPINION? I'm not a mod so take this for what it's worth, but you should calm that mess down. It's not what TGO is about and we certainly aren't in a habit of attacking our fellow members and combat vets.

Guest Hyaloid

Take your pissing matches elsewhere, rentalguy1 and dlstewart01. Thank you both for your service, and for wishing to express your OPINION on this board.

Please return back to topic and stop attacking each other.

Thanks.

Would you guys be so kind as to go back and re-read the thread. I told this other guy a couple of times that I did not want a fight, and that I was just stating my opinion.

The trinkets comment means nothing. If it had come from someone who didn't have several of his own trinkets it may be different. This is just messed up. I stated an opinion, he stated his, I quoted his comment and politely disagreed with it. All of that was in line with the OP. Then he comes back at me, bragging about his combat actions, with links even. He even said that I know nothing of guerrilla warfare. I never stated what I did in the military, and no one here knows. This is just nuts...

Guest jackdm3

True story. Happened tonight.

Me and wifey went to Buster's Liquor store after 7 PM (dark) to get her some coffee liqueur. She asked if I wanted to stay in the car, I said I wanted to keep her company. She said she would be OK, we're in a populated area. I asked how she knows that. She says there was no one around when we parked. We're in a Buick flanked by tall SUVs. "And you know this how?!" We saw both sides of the SUV parked to our right as we drove up, but could never have seen what was on the left side of the left SUV. *sigh*

We come out, observing the area to our car, get in and BOOM! Homey knocking on her driver window saying roll your window down or open the door so he can gets a dolla, main! You can guess the conversation we had on the way home.

So in keeping with the OP, she's ZERO PREPARED!

Edited by jackdm3
True story. Happened tonight.

Me and wifey went to Buster's Liquor store after 7 PM (dark) to get her some coffee liqueur. She asked if I wanted to stay in the car, I said I wanted to keep her company. She said she would be OK, we're in a populated area. I asked how she knows that. She says there was no one around when we parked. We're in a Buick flanked by tall SUVs. "And you know this how?!" We saw both sides of the SUV parked to our right as we drove up, but could never have seen what was on the left side of the left SUV. *sigh*

We come out, observing the area to our car, get in and BOOM! Homey knocking on her driver window saying roll your window down or open the door so he can gets a dolla, main! You can guess the conversation we had on the way home.

So in keeping with the OP, ZERO PREPARED!

I understand completely and with the holidays here and more people out and about is what got me to thinking about it. Glad ya'll made it safe and anytime we can safely learn something is always worth its weight in gold.

No one person can say exactly what they will do in any situation. You can train and be more likely to perform one way or another but you cannot say that I WILL do this or I WON'T do that until you are faced with the situation. I try to be more aware of my surroundings regardless of whether I am carrying or not.

You're absolutely right about not knowing until we carry permit holders are put into a situation. I can honestly say that if you've been trained properly (meaning always try to defuse the situation...walk away if it's "safely" possible), and are prepared to use deadly force to protect your life if absolutely necessary, you'll do the right thing when it happens. I know, because I faced that situation earlier this evening! I did not shoot anyone... but thought I was going to have to. Luckily, a friend and the police happened on the scene at almost the same time!

Here's one thing I learned from this encounter. I learned a lot more, but feel this one is very important. Two police officers took him in the opposite direction, and two stayed to talk to me and my friend. The first thing they asked for was identification. When I handed them my drivers license, I made sure my HCP ID card was on top of my drivers license. When his flashlight hit that card, he immediately turned his attention to me and asked these questions: Are you a carry permit holder? I said yes sir I am. He asked, are you carrying? I said yes sir I am. He then asked, where is the gun on you? I said in my right front pocket. He asked is it loaded? I said yes sir it is. He asked me to turn around and reached into my pocket and removed it. Which I did exactly as he had asked. As he removed it, he said you can have it back when we get this straightened out. He was the police officer that was questioning the threatening guy.

After it was over, he gave me my weapon back, with the magazine out of the gun, the round ejected from the chamber with the slide locked back, and the round handed to me. I did not reload the weapon at that time, but instead just put it in my pocket and the mag in my other pocket. He surprised me when he said, "thank you for not killing that guy"! I told him I had followed the protocol I was taught in the hand gun carry permit class.

My friend verified the threats the other guy was making on me, one of which was to put a bullet through my head! I didn't know if he was armed or not, but he had one hand in his front pocket. Turns out, the police said he was not armed. The police got everything settled down, and even walked me to my vehicle... at my request. I'm still pretty shook up, as I think anyone would be. But throughout it all, tried to remain calm, and trying to calm the situation, but with my weapon in my right hand, inside my right front pocket, and possibly seconds from having to shoot! Thank God, I didn't have to! And, I hope none of you ever have to either... but, you had better be prepared to take whatever action is necessary to save your life. Understatement up above, I'm still a lot shook up! Thank God it all worked out, or this would have been a Christmas I'd never forget the rest of my life... still will be for many years to come, I imagine!

This post is in no way to brag, boast, or anything of that nature. I did the post in hopes if any of you are ever faced with the same situation, that there may be something in here that can help you. Thank God for the freedom we enjoy as licensed hand gun carry permit holders in This state.

Guest jackdm3

Sidewinder, would you please repost this on the "Carry stories" thread?

Also, your avatar. Is the falling "N" a statement about the Navy. Just asking because my father-in-law has negative feelings about being on the last boat out of the Cuban missile crisis. They were left there without any armament.

Edited by jackdm3
Sidewinder, would you please repost this on the "Carry stories" thread?

Also, your avatar. Is the falling "N" a statement about the Navy. Just asking because my father-in-law has negative feelings about being on the last boat out of the Cuban missile crisis. They were left there without any armament.

jackdm3, sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I was trying to keep in line with the OP about being mentally prepared, or having doubts thereof. I'm not sure I know to repost. Do I just cut and paste, or delete it here and try to reconstruct it there.

Sorry again! I guess I didn't notice the "N" on USN seemed to be falling. It's not a statement about the Navy. I'm very proud to have served my country with the United States Navy. I was on one of the seven aircraft carriers that participated in that event. We did what we could, and what we knew to do at the time, and what we were told to do by President John Kennedy. I also served off of an aircraft carrier in the Viet Nam "conflict" as well. Looks like we did as told by Washington again.

Sorry for your father-in-law's negative feelings about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Guest jackdm3

Sidewinder,

Don't delete it from here. It would be a good post for both threads. You can Control-C to copy and Control-V to paste it into a new post window on the "carry stories" thread. My father-in-law did Vietnam, too. I'll find out about all of his boats for both and get back with you. You may know each other.

Just a couple of comments on the original post. I've legally carried for over 12 years and found that I became more aware of my surroundings and also that I was not nearly as quick to take offense at others actions. I am self-employed and so do not have restrictions on my carry that way. I carry everywhere except into Gov bldgs. (Recently my Pastors wife said to me "I can't believe you guys carry weapons to Church." (A couple of our members are Davidson Co. Policemen.) My reply was "Judy, you don't want to see me without my gun because I won't have my pants on".

Guest B_Carter
Just a couple of comments on the original post. I've legally carried for over 12 years and found that I became more aware of my surroundings and also that I was not nearly as quick to take offense at others actions. I am self-employed and so do not have restrictions on my carry that way. I carry everywhere except into Gov bldgs. (Recently my Pastors wife said to me "I can't believe you guys carry weapons to Church." (A couple of our members are Davidson Co. Policemen.) My reply was "Judy, you don't want to see me without my gun because I won't have my pants on".

Thats some funny stuff....:D With the recent church shootings I would think it would bring some level of comfort.

PS..Had the same conversation.

Glad you are safe, Sidewinder. Thank you for taking the appropriate actions, and thank you for your service.

Thanks for the kind words rentalguy1. I can honestly say an encounter like that will definitely change a person. The gravity of how close you came to actually killing a man weighs heavily on you. At least it is on me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to turn in my carry permit and gun. I guess the encounter solidifies the reality that you just may have to take deadly force to save your own life! It's very sobering to realize I was only seconds from having to do just that! I'm not sure if the big (in build) man was drinking, on drugs, or just a hothead. Thank God, it was resolved before that was necessary. It's unfortunate that we have to live in that kind of world today... but we do. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Nice topic, nobody needs to be caught with their pants down, we need to be prepared always, even when you are in our local restaurants cowering behind a dinning table with your carry weapon secured in your vehicle dialing 911 for help.(another story) I have been shot at and it's not a good feeling, you shift gears with every shot, was running away unarmed. I have a friend who is a Pastor and he and his wife knows who in the pews on Wed. & Sun. is armed and it makes them very comfortable... Stay safe. SS

Remember: no firearm can be made accident-proof. A firearm is just a

machine, with no judgement of its own. It responds to your actions, whether

wise or foolish. The only truly effective safety device is the mind of a cautious

shooter who never forgets that a moment’s carelessness can produce permanent tragedy.

Edited by SkunkSlayer