Bart Gordon is retiring!!

I think this is a trend that many Dems will slither towards as they see the writing on the wall. They weren't going to get re-elected anyway so with the spoils of the war chest they move off to the lobby or speech circuit.

Here's to many more following in Bart's shoes as he is already following several others.

Dear Friend,

After more than a quarter-century of having the honor and privilege of serving you as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, I plan to retire from Congress when my current term ends at the end of 2010.

I feel honored that the people of Middle Tennessee have allowed me to serve them for the past 25 years. Every decision I have made in Congress has been with the best interests of you and the people I represent in mind. I hope you feel that I have served you as well as your good advice and views have served me.

Turning 60 has led me to re-evaluate what’s next. I have an 8-year-old daughter and a wonderful wife who has a very demanding job. I am the only child of my 83-year-old mother, Margaret. They have made sacrifices to allow me to do what I love by serving in Congress, and now it’s my turn.

Over the years, I have worked to improve the quality of life for working families by providing greater access to higher education; allowing workers to keep their jobs while managing a family emergency such as a sick child, spouse or parent; and working to preserve the American dream by ensuring today’s students have the strong math and science skills they will need for the jobs of the future.

When I was named chairman of the House Science and Technology Committee in 2007, I became Tennessee’s first full committee chairman in 30 years. I’m grateful for the opportunity it presented to author landmark legislation such as the America COMPETES Act, but my goals in Congress have always remained the same.

My dream for kids growing up in Middle Tennessee is the same that I have for my daughter, Peyton – for them to grow up in a safe neighborhood, get a quality education, and be able to find a good job close to home. I hope I’ve been able to make that dream more of a reality for the next generation

In the year ahead, I will be focusing on the work that remains to be done in Congress. Our country is facing extraordinary challenges, and I will continue to work to be the best congressman I can be. My doors are open in Murfreesboro, Gallatin and Cookeville, and my staff and I will continue to listen to people’s concerns and help them cut through government red tape.

Staying in touch with the people I represent has been my number one priority. That will remain true throughout my last year in Congress.

Stay in touch,

Bart

P.S. To read more more about my plans to retire from Congress,

click here.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now comes the fun part. With one year until "retirement", he has no reason to do what his constituents would want, because he's not affraid of being thrown out of office. But we should be very affraid.

Heck, when has he done what his constituents have wanted?

Came home from work after going in at 2am and had the email hit at 1:09 PM so I thought I was in early. No searchfu working!!!

My apologies for the double post but heck, it's worth saying twice. I'll even post in the third one that I'm sure will pop up soon.