Sleeping Bags

Guest Muttling

Trust a person who has been in the cold mountains quite a few times with a poly fill bag, go with down. Don't try to skimp on the sleeping bag. AND ALWAYS GET A SLEEPING PARTNER OR YOU WILL DIE IN YOUR SLEEP.

I recommend one with no clothes and a nice rack.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Traumaslave

I have a 15' Kelty mummy, synthetic. Will do you just fine for midwestern camping. I've been in single digits and not had a problem. Stay away from down. It may be lighter than synthetics but, when it gets wet it is no good. Total loss of thermal reflection.

I highly suggest getting a ground pad of some type. I have a Thermarest with the chair conversion and LOVE IT!!!!!!

Therm-a-Rest Mattresses - providing lasting comfort for over 35 years.

Also, sleep naked!!!! You will stay much warmer in your bag.

You can find good equipment on sale. Plan on spending around $100 a piece to put together a quality pack.

Guest bnutriaz

I have 2 of the 3 layer gortex systems, they are good to 30-40 below. I accuired and used both of mine in Fairbanks AK. I have used then in Australia, Kuwait, Iraq, Lousaina, California. The multiple layers make them usefull in any application. Dont worry, you dont have to pay the 700+, Try garage sales in the nearest town that has a army/marine base there. You wont believe what can be found cheep at the yard sale os a soldier who has descided to cheat/leave his wife while on deployment.

Coop

I have a 15' Kelty mummy, synthetic. Will do you just fine for midwestern camping. I've been in single digits and not had a problem. Stay away from down. It may be lighter than synthetics but, when it gets wet it is no good. Total loss of thermal reflection.

I highly suggest getting a ground pad of some type. I have a Thermarest with the chair conversion and LOVE IT!!!!!!

Therm-a-Rest Mattresses - providing lasting comfort for over 35 years.

Also, sleep naked!!!! You will stay much warmer in your bag.

You can find good equipment on sale. Plan on spending around $100 a piece to put together a quality pack.

Jeez, disregard everything in this guy's post.

Down beats synthetic. Don't get wet, it's simple. I've been on tons of wet trips and have never had a problem.

Sleeping naked will not keep you warmer. (http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/52)

I'm not sure if the guy is saying "piece" as in tent/backpack/sleeping bag, if so he is right. Each one will be about $100 for a quality job. Quality counts more than anything in the mountains. If you try a harsh weather trip with crap gear, you can seriously die.

Edited by Kelemvor
Guest Traumaslave
Jeez, disregard everything in this guy's post.

Down beats synthetic. Don't get wet, it's simple. I've been on tons of wet trips and have never had a problem.

Sleeping naked will not keep you warmer. (Backpacker Magazine - Is Naked Warmer?)

I'm not sure if the guy is saying "piece" as in tent/backpack/sleeping bag, if so he is right. Each one will be about $100 for a quality job. Quality counts more than anything in the mountains. If you try a harsh weather trip with crap gear, you can seriously die.

Really,,, does your Mommy even let you out over night in the big bad woods???? This "guy" has been camping since he was 14. Safe to say, since you were in diapers. I have had down packs that got wet, and they weren't worth a ****. I have slept in subzero weather on many occasion in both and, naked is warmer and warmer quicker in either. Yes, you can shed some weight with down. Yes, I guess your body oils could lead to the break down of a natural bag. My camping buddies who bought a natural bag and refuse to replace cause they spent the $$$$$ have been sleeping naked for, lets see,,,, 1 of them is going on 10 yrs in his bag w/o issue.:cool: Crazy I know. Down just isn't worth the $$$.

Really,,, does your Mommy even let you out over night in the big bad woods???? This "guy" has been camping since he was 14. Safe to say, since you were in diapers. I have had down packs that got wet, and they weren't worth a ****. I have slept in subzero weather on many occasion in both and, naked is warmer and warmer quicker in either. Yes, you can shed some weight with down. Yes, I guess your body oils could lead to the break down of a natural bag. My camping buddies who bought a natural bag and refuse to replace cause they spent the $$$$$ have been sleeping naked for, lets see,,,, 1 of them is going on 10 yrs in his bag w/o issue.:D Crazy I know. Down just isn't worth the $$$.

We get it, you're old and I am younger than you.

Unless you are cuddling up against someone else who is naked, you benefit nothing from being naked. If you have trouble keeping your pack dry for some reason, then maybe a synthetic bag is for you, or you could even just get a dry bag.

Whatever, enough internet pissing contest for me.

Guest faust921

1. I would look at REI. They have knowledgeable, helpful staff. Get the membership and you get a rebate.

2. Really get in the bag and try it out. Test the zippers, nothing is worse than a bag that is hard to zip when you are in it.

3. Bags come in different sizes. If you get a long enough bag. If it is very cold, you can turn the stuff sack inside out and put your boots in the sack and put the sack in the bottom of the bag when you sleep. In the morning your damp boots will not be frozen solid, and you will be ready to hike with warm feet.

4. Down is lighter and stuffs better but if it gets wet, it offers no insulation - synthetic is better and the size/weight/warmth is a function of cost. I recommend synthetic unless you are going to climb a mountain in the winter.

5. You will need a sleeping pad. If you get a $20-40 one make sure it is closed cell. (will not absorb water) if you can spend more, the thrermalite pads are gaining popularity.

Good luck!