Sleeping Bags

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slumberjack makes a good bag at a reasonable price. It seems like everyone likes the mummy bags, but I thrash around too much for those. I have a traditional rectangular type zero degree that is great. The lowest temp I have experienced with it was about 12 degrees, and I was toasty.

Slumberjack makes a good bag at a reasonable price. It seems like everyone likes the mummy bags, but I thrash around too much for those. I have a traditional rectangular type zero degree that is great. The lowest temp I have experienced with it was about 12 degrees, and I was toasty.

Thats good to know. The -15 deg bags are way expensive.

Do most bags roll up the same relative size? or should I pay attention to this?

Really they do not roll up at all. you just stuff them in a sack. The idea is to keep the insulation from getting creases in it by rolling it the same way everytime. A crease ruins the thermal value, but anyway, no, they will not all be the same size. This will change based on the shape of the bag, the size of the bag, and the thermal rating. I never was too worried about the size. I used to backpack quite a bit and never had a problem with my large bag. I have the rectangular shape and extra long length, so it is really rather large. When thinking about your thermal rating, really think about when and where you will use it. There is no need for a -15 in TN. If you are staying in the state, I think you would be well served with 0 to 15 during the winter.

After you purchase a quality bag, make sure to take care of it. Do not leave it in the stuff sack or any other tight space. Just follow the instructions on how to care for it. These will change depending on what you buy.

They're all over e-bay, and cheaper than dirt has 'em, too. With the 2 inner bags, stuff sack and the goretex bivy, expect to pay about 125 and shipping.

Great bags; I got one from CTD, and aside from a couple minor stains on the bottom of the bivvy, it looked near new.

• Admin Team

What environment are you going to be using it in? There are some great technical materials used to make really good, lightweight bags these days, but there are some things to consider. A down bag can pack up really small, be really light and super toasty, but its useless if it gets wet. Some of the different poly fill bags don't pack up as small, and may be a little heavier, but have some insulating value even when wet.

As far as rating goes, you want one rated about 10-15 degrees cooler than you will be using the bag in. A zero degree bag doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be warm at zero, just that you won't get hypothermia.

What dats82 said about stuffing it is correct, in fact, the bag should come with a larger storage bag that allows it some room to breathe when you aren't using it.

Also, consider your whole sleep system. A good pad underneath you not only keeps you more comfortable, it also gives you another layer of insulation between you and that great heat sink known as the ground.

As you are in Murfreesboro, it's probably worth making the drive up to Nashville to check a couple of places like REI that will let you pull the bags down off the shelf and try them out. You don't want to invest in a $200 mummy bag just to find that you're claustrophobic.

Have fun. Be safe.

so, sounds like not likely to be backpacking with it??

The military modular system is excellent, but it is heavy and not small.

that said, each piece can be used on it's own or combined with the others to greatly extend the temp. range of the system.

new they run $500-600, i too have seen them on ebay for 125-150 range, depending on condition. The ones are cheeper than dirt look ok too, i've not examined one however. Someone here noted that the bivy sack w/ the CTD bags was not goretex, i don't have any way to verify that. maybe someone here can.

I work with a unit that uses the Wiggy's bags...

i'm very impressed with these bags. have ordered several.

Wiggys | Manufacturer of the finest outdoor gear in the world | Sleeping bags | Extreme Cold Weather Gear | Fire Retardant Underwear

tough as hell, don't mind being wet or handled roughly.

not the lightest out there, but possibly the toughest.

lifetime warrenty.

PM me if you would like to know more.

good luck!

Guest clsutton21

I have two GI sleeping bags. They are a bit dated though, probably Viet era. Machine washable...you kinda need to when they've been stowed in the attic for 30 years. Haha.

I have a Big Agnes Whiskey Park. It feels good to be sleeping under a tarp watching ice fall down from the sky and you feel like its around 75 degrees in your bag. The integral pad holder is great! It keeps you from rolling off of the pad at night and freezing your tookus. The Park series is great for big guys. LOVE this bag.

Big Agnes : Sleeping Bags

The thing with sleeping bags is the rating. Of which there is not industry standard. You may have two exactly same bags from two different places and they will have two different ratings on them. Yes even the very high end ones. When you read the rating keep in mind that they usually mean that temp on an iso mat, in an appropriate rated tent. With the newer MilSurp stuff, the rating is closer to real life stuff. Good luck in your choice and like others have said your comfort needs to top priority (ie large enough, left hand or right hand, mummy bag, etc)

Well, one more thing about the army system, you can tailor it to the temperature. I think the temperature range starts at 50 with the inner bag alone, and all together is rated to -40.

I'd go with a pad too though. In fact, I did.

Yea, those are great bags, and if you only need the inner bag, it will be really small when rolled up. And I can verify for sure that they do work great down to at least -40.

You should be using an iso mat in order to achieve the rating. Sleeping directly on the ground in the winter is a good way not to wake up in the morning. With the Big Agnes, you HAVE to have a mat, as their is zero insulation on the bottom. Insulation on the bottom of a bag serves no purpose when you are compressing it with your weight.

Stated otherwise:

+1 to Buck :eek:

If you're looking for something other than military surplus, try Campmor. They tend to have excellent prices, and if you're patient, you can grab one with free shipping.

The advice thus far has been very good. However, I would tend to disagree about how low of a temperature bag to look for. If you are thinking about doing any camping in the winter, go for a zero or -rated (-5, -10, -15, -20) bag. You can always unzip it and let in some cooler air, you cannot always warm up.

+1 on the sleeping pad. This makes all the difference between cold in a -45 bag and warm in a +5 bag.

If you can, always store the bag unrolled/unstuffed. The "storage" sack is an acceptable alternative. Never store it stuffed or rolled.

+1 for visiting REI. Their REI-brand bags are also very good, and have great warranties.

The thing with sleeping bags is the rating. Of which there is not industry standard. You may have two exactly same bags from two different places and they will have two different ratings on them. Yes even the very high end ones. When you read the rating keep in mind that they usually mean that temp on an iso mat, in an appropriate rated tent. With the newer MilSurp stuff, the rating is closer to real life stuff. Good luck in your choice and like others have said your comfort needs to top priority (ie large enough, left hand or right hand, mummy bag, etc)

There is a standard that the industry does use. But the standard is not the same as personal comfort between different people. Some are cold sleeper's and some are hot sleeper's. It all depends on what you really want to use it for. If its just here in Middle Tn. for a year around bag. I would say go with a twenty to thirty degree bag. Style depends on weather or not you are planning on backpacking or not.

My 20 degree The North Face Cat's Meow weighs in at 2lbs 12oz. Synthetic so a bit heavier than down, but will keep you warm even if wet. I have used it going on 8 years now and is still holding up well...fluffs up pretty well after a washing. For winter months, I use it with a full length self-inflating ground pad. If you are not using it for backpacking, you can get one with a more inexpensive synthetic fill that weighs a bit more for much cheaper. So I guess it comes down to how you will be using it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bretticus

Army issue bags, for sure. No tent needed, rated for subzero temps, so unless you are going arctic, you are covered for sure. Lightweight, easy to store, just stuff them in a bag, and you can fit other lightweight gear such as handwarmers and matches in there too. Get it on Ebay as suggested, and don't pay for a new one, as these are too expensive. Make sure it is in good condition before you buy. I got mine for $125 and it looks like it may have been slept in once or twice.

I've made the mistake of using a 10 degree rated Slumberjack poly sleeping bag in cold temperatures. Bad idea. My suggestion is to get a down sleeping bag. And for anywhere anytime in TN, you will be fine with a 0 to 15 degree down bag. I had a 10 degree Marmot bag in the Roan Highlands at 5,500ft+ w/40mph winds and I was comfortable enough to sleep. If you plan on getting rained on or whatever, you should get a bivy sack or a tent to sleep in, but be sure that the comfort rating on a poly-fill bag (if you are a fit/lean person) will likely be about 20 degrees too warm.

Trust a person who has been in the cold mountains quite a few times with a poly fill bag, go with down. Don't try to skimp on the sleeping bag. AND ALWAYS GET A SLEEPING PAD OR YOU WILL DIE IN YOUR SLEEP.