S&W Warranty?

Bubbatn

So I have about definitely decided that I want a M&P9c for my first gun. However, with the price of these guns....I am hoping to find a good deal on a used one. The only thing is that I just read on the S&W site, that their warranty is only good towards the original purchaser.

I was just wondering how you guys feel about this? Or if any of you have ever had to deal with S&W Warranty service? What do you guys think?

Never fear. I bought my M&P9 used. Sent it in for light striking after a couple of months. They sent it back fixed, no questions asked. Runs fine ever since. I'd highly recommend the M&P, if you're thinking Glock, XD. etc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong... I love Glocks, and still envy how simple they are, but that's also part of the problem I have with them, when I first detail stripped an M&P and figured out how they work, their trigger design is real genius, reliable like a Glock but breaks sort of like a 1911... Well, that, and trying every possible spring/connector combo for a couple years trying to remove the mush from a Glock...:D

I agree with CK1. Have a Glock, M&P, and a 1911. While I'm not quite ready to compare the M&P trigger to the 1911, I sure like it better than the Glock trigger.

Guest HexHead

And I think Glock is copying the M&P with their back straps. So Glock knows a good design when they see one.

No, if they did they would use interchangeable straps, not just adding one. :)

Guest HexHead

To the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure their attitude is like Springfield's and they don't ask for a copy of the receipt under normal circumstances. I think the "original purchaser" is legalese to give them an out for someone trying to abuse their services.

Guest faust921

I lived in a suburb north of Detroit. The nearby range Double Action hosted a factory gunsmith from S&W that would "check out" your handgun for free. There was a long line of patrons with every sort of S&W product who waited their turn in line. The smith was a guy in his 50s and had tools a few big tackle boxes of simple spare parts like springs, ect. He quickly stripped each gun and did a simple cleaning and sometimes replaced some parts. Put each gun back together and dry fired it a few times. Said a little about each gun as he was working, like what it was if it was a older gun, and what shape it was in. He easily checked 100+ guns just in the time I was there. I don't know if S&W still does this or why they do/did it for free. A call or email might provide the answers.

Guest Jack Brickhouse

A couple of months ago I purchased my wife a Walther P22. The backgroung check was ran on her since it was going to be her gun. After about 40 rounds it began to malfunction. The safty would "walk" or drop after the first round. I called the Warranty claim number provided and to my surprise Smith and Wesson answered the phone. I realize that Smith and Wesson imports Walther but I expected Walther to answer the phone. Since, Walther is cheaper than Smith and Wesson I was expecting second rate service. I began to explain the problem and the english speaking man politly interrupted me and asked for my address so he could send me a prepaid return shipping sticker. I once again began explaining that I did not own the gun but... he once again only wanted my address. I recieved a shipping a label and detailed insturctions on how to use UPS when mailing firearms without an FFL liscence and they also requested a letter explaining the malfunction. They NEVER asked for proof of purchase.

To sum up. I returned a Walther which I did not own to Smith and Wesson for repair. I got it back in less than two weeks and have not had another problem with it. So, from my experience, YES, you can return the S&W without proof of purchase.