Cash for Caulkers

Guest SUNTZU

Why is Obama at Home Depot? To get cash for caulkers going. / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

President Obama's stop at a Home Depot in northern Virginia on Tuesday was another step toward building the wide-ranging coalition he needs to build if he wants to realize his plans for a "green" jobs push. The Home Depot stop was in conjunction with a meeting between labor, manufacturing and small-business leaders the same day.

His program, which would be formally dubbed Homestar but called in some circles "cash for caulkers," is aimed at spurring homeowners to retrofit their homes with energy-efficient technologies. The White House aims to offer $23 billion in incentives for everything from weatherization to new doors and windows.

These enticements will only work, many analysts believe, if the package can appeal to contractors and retailers as well as homeowners.

First, retailers need to have some incentive to stock energy-efficient appliances above and beyond current demand, advocates say, in order to make sure consumers have solutions close at hand.

Second, homeowners need to have a sweetener – such as government paying up to half the cost – to buy the appliances, which are often more expensive than conventional models. If customers can't make that first, straight-forward step toward energy efficiency, they won't move on to larger projects, says Larry Zarker, CEO of the Building Performance Institute,.

"You may not always be able to buy [a comprehensive retrofit]; you may just start with some basics, but what contractors can give is a road map," says Mr. Zarker, whose group accredits green contractors. "Then the homeowner can say 'I’ll come back and pick up the second and third and fourth things later on.' But at least they get the road map."

Third, contractors need to be accredited. Without strong accreditation standards, the program could fizzle if consumers don't see first hand the benefits of retrofitting their homes, supporters say.

"We can’t afford many stories of people who paid for work and didn’t save any money," says Kevin Pranis, research director for the labor coalition Change to Win’s Green Economy Project. "We think the top priority is that you’re using an entirely certified workforce, so that everyone who goes in a home knows what they are doing and you know they know what they are doing because they go through a test."

In the long run, the program will rely on worker-training programs, innovative financing techniques and, the administration hopes, the success of the program's first stages to carry it through.

More at link

Because cash for clunkers did so well....

I received an email from a training group concerning this program that made me look into it. Apparently, this will "create" 500,000 NEW JOBS! :D

It would receive $23 billion in funding. ****ing unreal.

obamaballin.gif

money.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

Stupid programs like this really really screw with my libertarian economic sensibilities.

That said, I'm probably buying a new washer and dryer...I wonder how long it will take me to pay the government off, cause you know that any money I get for them will just come back to tax increases anyways...

Guest Drewsett
Since I'm apparently going to be paying for at least half of that washer and dryer, I'll see you Tuesday evening to wash my underwear.

You're going to be paying for it whether I buy it or not hombre...same as me and everyone else on this merry-go-round to hell we call a country

Keep your Fruit of the Loom to yourself :)