22 mag

Guest looneeetunes

Guest looneeetunes

well wifey is gonna take her hcp class sat. i think she will do fine, i have taken her to the exact range she will shoot at and have used the exact targets. i think all will go well.

only prob is. she hates recoil. 22 is fine with her. the 38 smith mod 37 i bought in hopes she would carry, she wants nothing to do with. she shot one round and laid it down. she has troubles sliding a semi ( she had carpel tunnel surgery a few months back and has lost a lot of hand strenth) so i have ordered and it is in a taurus 22 mag ultra lite and will pick it up sat also. looks like this.MVC-263F.jpg

my question is this an acceptable carry weapon? i have never shot one. i hear there is a little more weight in the lead and of course more powder, but does it have acceptable penetrating power in a hollow point?

thanks guys.

tungsten if this is a double post please delet this one. i typed on out a min ago and i was autologged out or something and i dont think it posted thanks

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 mags are MUCH louder than 22s, just to warn you! Usually the muzzle flash is pretty extreme, too.

Well, I don't think 22 mag is a very good defense round at all, when compared to 38/9mm through 44/45acp. HOWEVER, as the saying goes, a 22 in the pocket beats crying for help.

It sounds as if it will be the 22mag or nothing for your wife, so I vote 22 mag! No sense in settling on something bigger, then she's uncomfortable with it and never carries, or is afraid to actually use it when she needs to.

All banter aside, get her something she'll actually use, carry, and practice with.

I'm lucky in that my wife loves her model 19 and is OK with full house 357s out of it.

Guest looneeetunes

yeah i think for now this is what we are left with. she has found a new interest in guns tho, she says she wants to go to the range with me now when she can. so hopefully i can get her into a bigger cal. eventually. currently she is shooting a 22 target pistol i have.

and if i get her into a bigger cal i will have me a pretty nifty varmit gun in this taurus :)

This should give you and idea of the effectiveness of .22mag out of a snubby revolver: http://www.brassfetcher.com/NAAminiRevolver22Magnum.html

9-12" penetration with JHP ammo, no or minimal expansion... zero detectable wound cavity other than the bullet-track itself.

Surprisingly, the bullets penetrate better than .25 and .32 acp, so there is more potential for reaching something vital... the problem is that it may not do much damage to the organs it can reach. Plenty of people have been killed by .22s though... just take it all with a grain of salt.

Honestly, .22mag doesn't gain much if any velocity over .22lr from a 2" barrel. I'd get a .22lr semi-auto or revolver and load it with CCI Velocitor Gold-Dot hollowpoints. A Walther P22 is pretty easy to operate, because of low slide tension and a fairly light trigger.

yeah i think for now this is what we are left with. she has found a new interest in guns tho, she says she wants to go to the range with me now when she can. so hopefully i can get her into a bigger cal. eventually. currently she is shooting a 22 target pistol i have.

and if i get her into a bigger cal i will have me a pretty nifty varmit gun in this taurus :D

I assume she is going to carry in her purse? Get her something she can change out grips on so she can make it hers and more stylishicon12.gif

Guest looneeetunes

thanks molonlab for the info. now redhead if i let her girl it up with pink grips and stuff, if i get her to a larger cal. how can any selfrespecting manly man like myself use it for a varmit gun with all that pink and lace and stuff...lol :doh:yeah she will be carrying it in her purse also

Guest CrazyLincoln

A female friend of mine had a small pistol that might be useful. It was a semi, but it wasn't cocked by the slide, it had a lever or something like that. I think it was in .32. Anywho, she said it was designed for those with weaker hands. Someone might know what it is.

EDIT: It was a tomcat. Thanks Phantom6

Guest Phantom6

If she is going to carry it in her purse, a Beretta Tomcat chambered in .32 with SilverTips or Gold Dots is a better choice. Carries 6 in the magazine and 1 in the pipe. My wife also has issues with racking a slide so the tip-up barrel feature of the Tomcat eliminates that problem. The round certainly carries more kinetic energy than the .22. Some people poo-poo the Tomcat but I have found them to be extreamly reliable and very accurate with a little practice. My wife is deadly with her's.

Guest looneeetunes

well i brought it up here, so i will tell it here. she passed her test yesterday (sat). missed one on the test (one of those true and false you had to read about 8 times to really catch they were trying to trip ya up) they let me retake the class with her since i got mine there also and i was sitting there next to her watching her fill out the answers and it was hard to bite my tongue and say THAT ONE IS WRONG..lol but i didnt. she done great on the shooting part, all 49 were in the black and aside from about 4 strays pretty tight patterns. i kinda think the ones that werent as tight may have been the 25 yard hits. she hasnt practiced that far much. but anyway going to see the old drivers lic. test center this week i guess.. talk to ya again about it here in 6 or 8 months from now when she gets it...lol

Guest looneeetunes

also i got that 22 mag as well.. we had a little time during the lunch break at the class yesterday, so we ran it into the range and shot off about 75 or so. well this was my first time to ever shoot a 22 mag. for a 22 its pretty mean i guess i can be ok with it for a while, but i believe i am still going to get her into at least a 38. i think several more trips to the range and trying to slide that 38 in there for her to shoot every now and then i might can get it done.. ill tell ya tho if she does decide to carry a 38 instead i will definatly keep this 22 mag for my collection. that rascal is factory pretty accurate. it is adjustable but i was tearing it up with it. i didnt adjust it any. i havent had a chance to shoot her off the old sand bag yet, but ill just bet i am gonna be very happy. especially for a snubby barrel. i put in 6 at 15 yards free hand in about 2 inches.

(edit from 25 yards to 15, must have had 25 on brain from previous post)

Guest Verbal Kint
They made you guys shoot at 25 yards? When I took my carry permit course I don't think we shot past seven yards.

I wondered that, also, when I read his post.

When I took my class in Kentucky, it was also 7 yards as best I can remember. I know it wasn't anything over 10 yards, for sure, because we all joked that if you couldn't hit the full silhouette from that distance, you should just throw your handgun at it and knock it down.

I wondered that, also, when I read his post.

When I took my class in Kentucky, it was also 7 yards as best I can remember. I know it wasn't anything over 10 yards, for sure, because we all joked that if you couldn't hit the full silhouette from that distance, you should just throw your handgun at it and knock it down.

I had to shoot at various distances when I took my class. The last was well over 25 yards away.

Guest Verbal Kint
I had to shoot at various distances when I took my class. The last was well over 25 yards away.

Guess it depends on who is teaching it... as well as possibly varying state by state. :(

Guest looneeetunes

yeah i took mine back in jan. i didnt watch her shoot but best i can remember it was like 3,7,15, and 25 yards. there is only like 3 or 4 rounds at 25 tho

• 2 months later...
Guest looneeetunes

well her hcp finally came in the mail yesterday, man that was a long one :cool:. got her a new gun also. got a bersa .380. she can slide this one pretty good, needs more practice. she likes the safety features, she will carry it chambered, it has a soft pull on the hammer, and with safety off it is double action.

Guest TN.Frank

Back when I took my class I used an EMF SAA clone in 45 Colt to qualify for the shooting part. I was told that it's better to use something that you'll carry(or even larger) so that if you ever did go to court over a shooting they couldn't say that you had more gun then you could handle. If you use a 22lr or the like and end up shooting someone with a 45ACP or .357Mag they could say that you weren't qualified to use such a "large" caliber and were negligent in the firearms use. Not saying that it'd hold up in court, just saying that they COULD use something like that against you. I think if you're going to carry a 38 you should qualify with a 38 or if you'll carry a 40 S&W you should qualify with a 40 S&W. That way you can show with proof that you can handle the firearms in that caliber since you did qualify with it for your CCW. JMHO, YMMV.

I was in a conversation some years ago with few guys, one of them being a retired LEO of 40 some years. He was asked what pistol caliber he had saw do the most damage. He said .22 magnum. He had went on a call, when he arrived the guy had assumed room temperature, had an entry wound , no exit. They done an autopsy and said the slug had ricocheted off his ribs several times and pretty much had shredded him.