Best .223 AK Magazines for Converted Saiga

Kevo

Before I order some Arsenal Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle magazines off of the internets I would like to know what my fellow TGO'ers think about all of the various options. Pro-Mag, Tapco, Galil Orlite, Galil Steel (South African & IMI) 35 & 50 rounders, Yugo, Weiger, Surefire, Bulgarian Circle 10's, and factory Saiga. Anyone "converted" AK74 mags to 223? Also let me know if you have experience with any of the AR mag converters. My bullet guide is removable so I can still use factory types for now. I have 2 steel surplus Galil that were skillfully reworked by the former owner. 2 factory 10 rounders. 2 used Surefire 30 rounders. So far no malfunctions. Thanks for your input. Kevin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally would get one of the mag adapters and use AR mags. Just makes sense. DO NOT use Tapco or Pro Mag. The Bulgy 10's are by far the best mags out there, however, I have yet to hear any bad things about com bloc mags.

Guest jimdigriz
Before I order some Arsenal Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle magazines off of the internets I would like to know what my fellow TGO'ers think about all of the various options. Pro-Mag, Tapco, Galil Orlite, Galil Steel (South African & IMI) 35 & 50 rounders, Yugo, Weiger, Surefire, Bulgarian Circle 10's, and factory Saiga. Anyone "converted" AK74 mags to 223? Also let me know if you have experience with any of the AR mag converters. My bullet guide is removable so I can still use factory types for now. I have 2 steel surplus Galil that were skillfully reworked by the former owner. 2 factory 10 rounders. 2 used Surefire 30 rounders. So far no malfunctions. Thanks for your input. Kevin

I've got 3 polymer Galil mags. They require a small bit of trimming to fit in the 223 Saiga (no big deal), but they feel flimsy compared to the Circle 10s I have for the 5.45. (I don't yet have the 5.56 Circle 10s - I've got one on the way - but I've no doubt it's the same as the other Circle 10s). They also have a fair amount of wobble. Assuming they check out OK at the range, I'll probably get more just because of the price, but all in all, I'd rather rely on the Circle 10s.

Whatever you do, stay away from ProMag. Just about everything they make is utter crap. They deserve to go out of business.

I understand the appeal of using AR mags, especially if you have an AR. But mags on the AR platform are one of the weak links; I'd never want to bring that over to the AK.

I already have a dozen AR mags and plan on building a CMP/varmint/sniper/target AR this summer. However I may just blow my refund on a quality bolt action 223. The converter from Magnolia State Armory is $125. The price is right considering how cheap and available P-Mags are. Kinda looks like I missed the boat on most of the 223 AK/Galil mags from overseas.

Edited by Kevo
finish a sentence