May be moving to NY State soon

Guest logicprevails

Guest logicprevails

Well, there is a chance that I may be moving to NY State (wife's a Yankee). Just checked into what I's need to do to try to get a permit there. NOT easy at all ;). Here's a post from a NY forum:

Niagara County

1) Complete a handgun safety course. Pistol permit office has a list of contacts for the class. (averge of $35)

2) Go to Permit office (Courthouse, 175 Hawley St. Lockport 14094) and pick up application packet.

3) Need 4 character references. Must reside in Niagara County. If you live in one of the cities then 2 references must also live in your city. Must have known for 4+ years. Not relatives or related to each other. They need to sign all 3 applications. These do not need to be notorized. All references will have a background check performed and they will be interviewed.

4) If arrested, must provide court disposition for each arrest. Also have to write an incident letter about each arrest.

5) Fill out all 3 identical applications and accompanying sheets. You will need address of your employer. Also the reason that a permit is required. Make sure you check the box for CARRY CONCEALED! Permit office will notorize your signature when you turn in the application.

6) Must schedule a date to do your fingerprints and photos with the permit office. (716) 439-7184

7) When you turn in your application and get your fingerprints and photos taken you will need the following...

- All 3 applications (in packet)

- Acknowledgement form (in packet)

- PP 11/97 form (in packet)

- Original Handgun safety course certificate

- NYS drivers license

- A money order in the amount of 105.25 to NYS Div. Of Criminal Justice Services

- $10 application fee (cash or check)

- $40 for fingerprints

- $16 for photos

8.) Within a few weeks your references will receive a survey. They need to return the survey within 10 days of receiving it. Remind them of this!

9) Investigating officer will come out to interview you at your home, those living in your home, your references and your nearby neighbors. Also will want to see where you plan to keep your pistols and where you keep your guns currently and that they are properly secured with trigger lock, etc.

10) You will receive the letter in the mail. Normally within 6 months to let you know that they accepted you or didn't and with what restrictions if any.

And we thought our process is a pain. Seems that it is up to the judge signing off on your permit whether or not to impose restricions (i.e. full carry, home only, etc.) and it's upon their whim or mood. If contested by the applicant, a lawyer is required.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

5) Fill out all 3 identical applications and accompanying sheets. You will need address of your employer. Also the reason that a permit is required. Make sure you check the box for CARRY CONCEALED! Permit office will notorize your signature when you turn in the application.

What's gonna be your "Excuse"?

Guest logicprevails

What's gonna be your "Excuse"?

;) Haven't figured out how to articulate the 'because 2A says so' effectively to them yet.

Guest logicprevails
Do you have 4 character references that have known you for more than 4 years, are not family, and reside in Niagra County?

Also, I'm I understanding this correctly, you need to go through this process just to keep a weapon in your home?

I have the references, and yup. You are correct. I can't even take my pistols to NY until I have been issued a permit. I would have to store them at an FFL, then have them shipped to a NY FFL to pick up after I recieve the 'blessing of the state'.

Guest logicprevails
You can always say "So nobody tries to beat my hoes but me."

Or I can just not be legal and import and carry anyway. Disclaimer: the previous statement was strictly and patently in jest. All persons of interest employed by the New York State Bureau of Justice seeking background information please ignore. ;)

Oh good god man, don't do it!

Take it from a former yankee!

Niagra is one of the EASIER Counties, and it isn't easy. And if/when you DO get a permit, the benefit is you can carry unrestricted (except NYC), BUT...NOBODY is used to seeing them. If you're spotted by PD, or a sheep, be ready for a gunpoint shakedown.

Then there is the taxes, the weather.....Uggh. Good luck!

Guest coldblackwind

I'm visiting my parents in NY right now. Let me say this....WTH ARE YOU THINKING!!!! I couldn't move out of this state fast enough, and after spending the past 3 days here I ain't comin back! It was 0 when I got up this morning, their taxes are almost 10 times mine, and I have 27 acres to their 2, not to mention the state income tax thats equal to federal! Oh, that and there are 0 jobs here. That handgun permit, like you said, you can't legally have a handgun in NY until you have the permit, and the minimum wait time on a NY permit, is the same as tennessee's maximum (3 months I believe?) Not to mention, it still isn't legal to import hi cap mags to NY state, nothing over 10 rounds, so any new guns will have 10 round mags, and its a nightmare to get anything else. Also, a lot of the guns in the original ban, NY still has a ban on believe it or not (IE, assault rifles are illegal in NY, assault rifle being anything having 3 or more items from a checklist, a quick google search will find the list, but its things like, collapsible stock, flash hider, bayonet lug). You couldn't pay me enough to move back up here, and quite frankly, I'm ready to get back to TN!!! Don't do it man! *rant off*

You couldn't pay me enough to move back up here, and quite frankly, I'm ready to get back to TN!!! Don't do it man! *rant off*

Amen to that. I HATE going back to visit, and count down to heading back to Tennessee!

I seriously hope it's worth it for you my friend! I wouldn't do it.

Just shows they try to discourage folks before they even get there. Most would look at that process and say f that or NOT MOVE THERE. I feel for you man.

People are fleeing NY because of taxes and regs. You will suffocate under the weight of both. If that's not enough you'll learn the fine art of snow removal! Beg your wife..Do anything! Send her on a long vacation to NY.