SHOT show

tntnixon

I've always read (in the gun magazines) about the SHOT show and it sounded like the coolest thing ever. So, out of curriosity, I perused the SHOT show website. After reading what the set-up is, it sounds pretty lame, actually. Why in the hell would they hold the show in such an environment that is sooo gun un-friendly. They won't even allow the vendor/exhibitors to have working firearms on the property. I would think that the gun community would be in a all out revolt against the organizers. Also, why is it so closed door. I would think that the vendors would want as many people seeing their products as possible.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude. It's a second amendment Disneyland for anyone in the business. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it.

However, the convention is specifically for folks working in the firearms business... a LOT of sales, deals and general business are done on the floor of the show. It sucks that they have to restrict entry, but last year in Orlando it was so crowded you could barely move down the aisles.

Guest HexHead

Go to the NRA convention. The show there is all the best stuff from SHOT. It's in Charlotte this year, May 14-16 and in Pittsburgh next year. You probably need to be a member to attend.

Truth is, if you're here reading this, you probably need to be a member anyway.

It is a trade show. It's for people in the business to see new products and actually do business. This would be impossible if the general public was allowed in. And in all reality if you really wanted to go it's not that hard to get in. As far as the working guns, all of them seem to be in normal working order at the 3 SHOT Shows I've been too. I agree with what a earlier person said, go to the NRA National Convention. All the big names in the industry will be there without all the distributors that the general public would care nothing at all about.

Its going to be interesting this year since it will be held during the week, and not over a long weekend.

It should cut down on the Cling-On traffic that are there "for the gun show" and allow those that are actually there to conduct business a chance to move around better.

I am flying in on Sunday, and out on Friday night.

Who else is going?

But no one still answered my question of why they chose a convention center that doesn't allow weapons (and yes the notice to vendors says that the firing pins must have been removed and be inspected by the "organizers prior to display)? A show that big could have demanded, as the NRA always has, that the conventioneers be allowed to be armed.

Apparently it's the policy of the Convention Center:

Personal Firearms Carry Policy

Per Sands Expo Convention Center (SECC) policy, personal firearms or ammunition are not allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the show floor.

I'm guessing (and this is just a guess) that there are only a couple of convention centers big enough to hold the show... Orlando and Vegas have the two biggest in the country and neither allow firearms. If that's the case, they may simply not have a choice. As to why the convention center would be posted... well you got me there... no idea.

Also, why is it so closed door. I would think that the vendors would want as many people seeing their products as possible.

Everyone is created equal, some are more equal.

seriously it is a trade show, they don't need retail customers there.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest Drewsett

So if Nashville builds its giant new convention center then maybe it can bid for the SHOT show. Heck, I wouldn't even bother going to the show, I'd go the bars near the big hotels in town and talk to whatever manufacturer reps might be wetting their whistles after a long day at the show.

• 2 weeks later...
So if Nashville builds its giant new convention center then maybe it can bid for the SHOT show. Heck, I wouldn't even bother going to the show, I'd go the bars near the big hotels in town and talk to whatever manufacturer reps might be wetting their whistles after a long day at the show.

I remember the SHOT show being in Atlanta around '88 or '89.

They changed to warmer January cities not long after that.

As noted elsewhere on TGO, Nashville is a potential location for a future NRA convention, should the proposed convention center be built. Depending on the square footage, the city might be able to compete for SHOT, but I don't know their space requirements.

SHOT is such a huge convention that local laws can't really be taken into account - the only cities with enormous venues are Vegas and Orlando (and possibly New Orleans and San Antonio, IIRC). At some point, local laws have to be accepted because of the massive square footage requirements.

As noted elsewhere on TGO, Nashville is a potential location for a future NRA convention, should the proposed convention center be built. Depending on the square footage, the city might be able to compete for SHOT, but I don't know their space requirements.

SHOT is such a huge convention that local laws can't really be taken into account - the only cities with enormous venues are Vegas and Orlando (and possibly New Orleans and San Antonio, IIRC). At some point, local laws have to be accepted because of the massive square footage requirements.

This years SHOT Show is over 700,000 sq. ft. of show space.