So I spent some time plinking with my new-to-me Anschutz Mod 54 Military Trainer, and I really, really, really like it. Enough to want the rifle that this one was trying to emulate. I'm mostly interested in a shooter, rather than a collectible. Some questions:

-Is there a certain clone that is superior to the others? I've seen Brazilian, Yugo, etc? Or what exactly is a M48 Mauser? VZ-24?

-Should I look for a genuine German produced 98k, or are the higher prices commanded by these due to their history?

-Is a Mosin Nagant actually a superior choice? What about an Enfield or that straight pull Swiss rifle I see sometimes? I'm looking for accuracy and available cheap surplus ammo.

Edited by SavageSig
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still find genuine 98k's with all the markings out there anywhere from $250 to $400 depending on the markings and condition. If you are just interested in a pure shooters the Yugo M48's are great. I had one that was very rough on the outside but was a tack driver.

Is the Mosin a superior choice? Apples to oranges. Totally different designs and totally different cartridges. If you get one you'll want them all :devil:

Right now 7.62x54 for the mosins is still cheap and readily available. Next would be the 8mm for the k98. The Enfields are a blast to shoot but decent 303 is getting a little hard to find. Last but not least the K31 Swiss is a fantastic rifle with totally unique design features. The downside is the price of 7.5x55. It's hard to find and pricey.

It all boils down to why you want the rifle (shooter, historical significance, price) But I warn you surplus rifles are addictive. One day you'll turn around and notice you have Mosins from every country. Check out surplusrifle.com for some more cool info.

Right now 7.62x54 for the mosins is still cheap and readily available. Next would be the 8mm for the k98. The Enfields are a blast to shoot but decent 303 is getting a little hard to find. Last but not least the K31 Swiss is a fantastic rifle with totally unique design features. The downside is the price of 7.5x55. It's hard to find and pricey.

Absolutely correct! Ammo is usually what drives the purchase for me and the .303 is getting hard to find surplus ammo. They are all fun to shoot, but it seems more fun when you don't have to shoot expensive ammo.

Guest GenNBForrest
So I spent some time plinking with my new-to-me Anschutz Mod 54 Military Trainer, and I really, really, really like it. Enough to want the rifle that this one was trying to emulate. I'm mostly interested in a shooter, rather than a collectible. Some questions:

-Is there a certain clone that is superior to the others? I've seen Brazilian, Yugo, etc? Or what exactly is a M48 Mauser? VZ-24?

-Should I look for a genuine German produced 98k, or are the higher prices commanded by these due to their history?

-Is a Mosin Nagant actually a superior choice? What about an Enfield or that straight pull Swiss rifle I see sometimes? I'm looking for accuracy and available cheap surplus ammo.

You can not go wrong picking up one of the Czech. VZ-24 from Classic Arms right now. Same mauser action, and length as German manufactured K98's The VZ-24's, and Yugo M48 and M24/47 are great shooters!

Link to the VZ-24: scroll down to the CZECH VZ-24 RIFLES

Firearms

Anyone know of a local gun shop where I can look over VZ-24 or other mausers firsthand? Thanks for the link for classicarms, I was checking out their C&R page when I wrote that post.

I did play with a mosin at G&L. I wasn't very impressed. Then again, most of my knowledge of WWII firearms has been gleaned from movies and computer games, and the Mosin was never a very sexy weapon.

... Mosin was never a very sexy weapon.

Yeah you've got to remember that the Mosin was developed to be used by uneducated Russian conscripts in Siberian winters. Function over form that's for sure. No graduate degree need to throw lead down range with these guys.

Don't forget the Swedish Mausers either - a M96 or M38 in 6.5x55 is a FINE shooting rifle, and they haven't been through a war!

You'll probably end up reloading for whichever milsurp you choose - the ammo eventually dries up. That's not a bad thing - reloading is fun in itself.

There's nothing wrong with the Ishapore Enfields either, in 7.62 NATO. Other than being a bit crudely finished with odd sights,that is.

There's nothing wrong with the Ishapore Enfields either, in 7.62 NATO. Other than being a bit crudely finished with odd sights,that is.

I had a great Ishapore for awhile. I refinished the stock because it was so rough and it looked great. Kicked like a mule but was deadly accurate.

They were $200 eight or ten years ago when I bought mine.

I see one for 275 on gunbroker. I might throw a bid on there.

I also went to Franklin Gun shop to peruse their gun racks today. I saw two sporterized K98's that felt great, but they were asking way too much. 399 for a K98 and a cruddy Tasco scope. They also had a VZ-24 in rough shape, but it felt quite nice. They were asking 299, way too much. After I get my car diagnosed and fixed up, I'll probably pick one up from classicarms now.

Guest HexHead

Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte just got in a German 98k yesterday that was converted to 7.62/ .308 by the Israelis. Yeah, the Waffen markings are struck through. :lol:

It's a little rough, but he's got it tagged at $200.

Nashville Sporting Arms on Charlotte just got in a German 98k yesterday that was converted to 7.62/ .308 by the Israelis. Yeah, the Waffen markings are struck through. :screwy:

It's a little rough, but he's got it tagged at $200.

Thanks for the heads up! Has it been sporterized too? Original iron sights?

I'll have to check it out sometime this week, as I'm pretty sure he's closed on Sundays.

What's a good price for that Ishapore? I've always wanted an enfield, and 7.62 Nato is readily available, albeit a bit pricey.

I have an ishapore. great rifle! I paid 150.00 for it about a year ago. the price has gone up on the good ones now but you can find them on gunbroker.com fairly cheap. if you're looking for something to shoot, you can always buy the rifle, ditch the stock and buy a synthetic stock for a nominal price. Then you'll have a decent rifle.

I'm about to take the paintjob off of mine and parkerize it, put a synthetic stock and a nice scope on it.

if you're looking for a good bolt action .308 that's cheap, this is the one to look for.

as long as the barrel and bolt is in good condition, you shouldn't have problems.

Mk42a1Enfield.jpg

that was 6 rounds, rapid fire at 50 yards...not bad for old eyes and iron sights.