sorting 9, mak, 380- resizing in wrong die...

Guest Catdaddy

Guest Catdaddy

I recently realized I need to revise my sorting method for harvested range brass- the occasional 9X18 is getting in my 9X19 brass- I discover it now by the excessive pressure required to size/deprime the brass. Before I became sensitive to that i actually loaded a few 9X18 with a bullet, and saw the difference, as the gas check ring was visible.

I'll disassemble these for the bullets and powder- but i have another question.

Does sizing the 9X18 Makarov brass in the 9X19 die render them unsuitable for reloading- or is there so little of the case length left at that diameter after expanding and seating the bullet that it won't matter? Would firing the brass bring it back out to normal specs?

I put several of the deprimed 9x18 brass in with the stash I'm gathering for when I get another Makarov. Do I need to sort them out for disposal?

After seeing the die marks on the 9x19, and how they are not completely straight up lengthwise after reloading (new carbide Lee dies) I think there is probably no danger in using the brass, as it will be supported at both ends, with only a narrow band undersized by about .002" in the middle.

Is this a reasonable assumption? Or should I plan on sorting them out?

Just started reloading, so this is a learning experience for me.

I also learned to watch the disc powder measure for sticking! I found about 40 out of 500 that had no powder by weighing them, but still missed three squib loads out of 150 I shot yesterday- I was listening for a pop, not a bang- but it was even more obvious than that- no sound at all, and no ejection. I checked each time and sure enough there was a bullet lodged just into the rifling.

The 9mm's are all loaded with factory ammo for defense purposes here at home- I'll shoot up my first try at reloading at the range, with the same proper cautions.

All opinions welcome.

Edited by Catdaddy
spelling, punctuation.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hazard a guess that a middle loading would reform the case back to spec. basically you are fireforming so a mid loading is appropriate though the loads may look like an old glass coke bottle then again so do my .38 Supers

Modern Reloading has case specs. to help you visualize how much you resized them..

John

Guest Jeremey

I also pay "extra" attention while sorting 9mm luger brass. That .380 sure does blend in well. I accidentally tried to resize a 9x21 case once. I have also had the depriming pin pushed up in my Lee dies by brass cased Berdan primed brass a couple of times.

The 9mm Mak case is actually wider than 9x19mm Luger. As you noticed when it took extra effort! Toss those cases into your recycle bin.

I visually check every case I load. I've caught a LOT of .380 and 9mm Mak brass in with the 9x19 stuff. Even so, every now and then one ends up trying to be loaded with the 9mm. As you gain experience in reloading, you'll see how important 'touch' is. When something feels different, it's a warning. Stop and investigate. Do not take chances when reloading. It's very easy to end up losing a finger or eye as well as an expensive firearm!

I too visually check each case for head stamp, condition, and primer hole. I would throw away any 9x18 brass that went through a 9x19 die and check my die for damage. I throw each charge and double check powder level. I don't trust a auto-disk measure yet with small charges like those in 9mm. The consequences are too great. I still consider myself a rookie (about 500 rounds) and I'm very careful and read a lot.

When you are sorting range pick ups you can easily pick out the .380, MAK, and 9mm by setting them headstamp side up and eyeballing them while sorting.

Once you have them loaded and ready for the range - get a colored sharpie and mark the headstamp side with a line while they are in their carrying case. This way your brass will immediately be identified upon recollection and you will never have to worry about them being mismatched. If you reload all three calibers you simply use three colored sharpies.

The initial sorting is the only real work with this method and can be done while watching TV.

I don't do any sorting. Just run it through a shellsorter to weed out the .40s and the like, clean it, and load it.

Most of my brass comes from an indoor range's IPDA match, so there's a rare 380 here and there that sneaks in from public use of the range beforehand. No Mak to worry about.

.380s are easy to spot because they resize effortlessly. The handle on my Dillon 650 moves like the sizing station is empty. So I pluck that case after I index it to the priming station, and pitch it.

Ever resize a 38Super with a press setup for 9mm? Damn things look like trumpets when you flare the case mouth. :hyper:

get a colored sharpie and mark the headstamp side with a line while they are in their carrying case. This way your brass will immediately be identified upon recollection and you will never have to worry about them being mismatched. If you reload all three calibers you simply use three colored sharpies.

GREAT IDEA!! Thanks!