Sig Forged Slide Crack

willis68

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Any metal object can crack under the wrong circumstances. Magnafluxing each slide to check for fracture lines would be fairly expensive but this seems to be the approach SIG took with at least that one particular production run of slides. You have to give them credit for that.

This could just as easily happen to a Wilson Combat handgun, a Glock, an H&K... you name it. The slide doesn't have to be made of pig metal; it can be forged or CNC cut from cold stock. And it's not limited to just firearms; it's seen in things like engine blocks, brake rotors, bolts, nuts, etc. quite frequently.

As long as the manufacturer stands behind the replacement or repair of the firearm and no one gets hurt... I see it as being mildly distressing but ultimately a non-issue. Guns are mechanical. Mechanical things can and will fail.

Guest gcrookston

I've always thought the Sig was the top of the line, ever since my brother showed me one in 1988 after he had completed BUDS training. The first modern handgun I ever purchased (pre-1960), was a 226 about 1989-90 and I've put 10k+ rounds through it over the years, and have owned 210's, 220s, 230s and 232s. The anchor on the "Navy Slide" must be a recent event, as the 226s I examined in the armory at Little Creek in the mid 1990's had no such device. With the introduction of the Mosquito, seems their quality is not the same as I once came to expect, perhaps this decline has spread into their entire line...

All of these slide failures look sparse enough to never worry about his happening to me. It's like a plane falling out of the sky. Happens so rarely, i should not worry about it.

Guest Verbal Kint
All of these slide failures look sparse enough to never worry about his happening to me. It's like a plane falling out of the sky. Happens so rarely, i should not worry about it.

+1

Like I said, when I first posted them over here, it's the freakiest thing that I had never seen before.

I just figured people might be interested in seeing it, as I'm sure many -- like me -- had never heard or seen photos of such an odd failure. I'd still trust my Sig or Kimber any given day to perform well... but I always shoot, maintain, and inspect my handguns on a regular basis in order to make that claim. Even so, any machine can fail as it's already been stated... but failures such as the one in question are extremely rare.