Romantic, Quiet, Mid Priced Restaurant in Nashville

Guest Drewsett
I was at the Stoney River on West End for a luncheon about a week or so ago. When you order a steak "medium" there's a fair amount of latitude before the cook completely ****s it up. The waitress even said "warm pink center" when I place my order. There was no hint of pink in there. I won't go back.

If a supposed steakhouse restaurant can't even get "medium" right, they're worthless.

I'm sorry you had that experience at the West End one...we do things a little differently in Cool Springs. Now, people are human and DO make mistakes, it's possible plates were switched on accident in the window (crazy things can happen when you're sending out 40 plates at a time). Did they take care of you after the mistake was made? In Cool Springs you would get a new steak cooked immediately(that's why we ask you to cut into the center of it when we deliver it) and most likely we'd buy your steak as well...because after all, you ordered it medium, we ARE a steakhouse, and we don't make people pay for our mistakes.

Some of the greatest regular customers I have had did not have a great experience their first time in our restaurant. The way that we fixed our mistake convinced them to give us a second chance...and that's all we needed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking for small Italian another friend of mines parents have an Italian restaurant in Berry Hill. It's in one of the old houses right by the park, and its traditional Italian (the family is Italian).

The name escapes me at the moment, its something like 'Cafe de Prezzo' or something similar.

I've got a lot of friends in the food biz.

If you are looking for small Italian another friend of mines parents have an Italian restaurant in Berry Hill. It's in one of the old houses right by the park, and its traditional Italian (the family is Italian).

The name escapes me at the moment, its something like 'Cafe de Prezzo' or something similar.

I've got a lot of friends in the food biz.

Pranzo? I've been there. I thought it was mostly a take-out/lunch spot, though. Taste was only OK. Reminded me of a Pizza Perfect with fancier entrees. I will give them high marks for lots of food for a low price.

I was at the Stoney River on West End for a luncheon about a week or so ago. When you order a steak "medium" there's a fair amount of latitude before the cook completely ****s it up. The waitress even said "warm pink center" when I place my order. There was no hint of pink in there. I won't go back.

If a supposed steakhouse restaurant can't even get "medium" right, they're worthless.

You and I should eat together sometime. I am 100% with you on Stoney River on West End. I took a friend there one night, and it was absolutely disastrous. The place was empty, but they chose to seat us by the kitchen entrance/bar serving area? We had to struggle to hold a conversation over kitchen staff and the THUMP of the kitchen doors opening and closing. They also managed to drop a tray of glasses AND have a water leak near our table. I had to walk through a puddle of water to leave. Add to that my wretchedly over-cooked Prime Rib and super sweet rolls and I was done with the place.

Really great for a $80 dinner. I would have rather eaten at McDonald's and ordered 40 Big Mac's. ;)

However, I have another gift certificate to the place, so I'll be sure to check out the Cool Spring's location. Perhaps it is much better.

Guest HexHead

Another great, small and romantic Italian place is Mama Mia's over on Harding Place by Grassmere/ I-65. It's BYOB though.

Supposedly, the best Italian restaurant in Nashville is Cafe Nona on Murphy Rd in Sylvan Park. I haven't been there yet because parking can be an issue, but it's been highly recommended.

Guest HexHead
You and I should eat together sometime. I am 100% with you on Stoney River on West End. I took a friend there one night, and it was absolutely disastrous. The place was empty, but they chose to seat us by the kitchen entrance/bar serving area? We had to struggle to hold a conversation over kitchen staff and the THUMP of the kitchen doors opening and closing. They also managed to drop a tray of glasses AND have a water leak near our table. I had to walk through a puddle of water to leave. Add to that my wretchedly over-cooked Prime Rib and super sweet rolls and I was done with the place.

Really great for a $80 dinner. I would have rather eaten at McDonald's and ordered 40 Big Mac's. :rolleyes:

However, I have another gift certificate to the place, so I'll be sure to check out the Cool Spring's location. Perhaps it is much better.

I have two rule I live by when it comes to restaurants. First is one I picked up 20 something years ago from a restaurant critic in L.A., Elmer Dills. He said the first thing he always did when trying a restaurant for the first time was try the soup. If a restaurant can't even get the soup right, there's no shot at a decent meal. ANd if the soup is awesome, chances are high it's going to be a great meal. He's been proven right, time after time.

The other is what I alluded to above. How the **** hard is it to cook a steak "medium"? It can be a little on the rare side or the well side and still qualify. This ain't rocket science. I remember once a trip to J.Alexanders, I had to send my steak back 2 or 3 times before they got it right. WTF?

Supposedly, the best Italian restaurant in Nashville is Cafe Nona on Murphy Rd in Sylvan Park. I haven't been there yet because parking can be an issue, but it's been highly recommended.

+1 Haven't been in a year or so but the last time I was at Cafe Nona it was great.

Ellendales in Donelson is located in an old historic house and features live jazz... very romantic, great steaks, and reasonable mid-level prices. Sunday brunch is spectacular as well.

My experiences with Stoney River are very good, but it is very expensive. Same with Melting Pot... perfect for a big date but be prepared to spend just under $100 without alcohol.

Buca Di Pepo is great but not as romantic as you probably want. More of a casual family restaurant.

Mama Mias is horrible and should be shutdown. It tastes like out of the can pasta and they served us desert that was at least 4 days old. Apparently, it used to be good but management has changed often.

Yellow Porch is not my favorite but the ladies LOVE it.

Guest JavaGuy

My two cents...

I like Amerigos out on West End. The food has invariably been good and the prices are fairly reasonable. I love the Chicken Marsala... and the tiramisu has (not always, but at times) been absolutely out of this world good.

Buca de Beppo... I've been there a couple of times and loved it both times. On both occasions, I asked for the kitchen table. Yes, a table literally in the kitchen. The servers stop at the table to show you the dishes they're serving and tell you about it.. ingredients, method of cooking, etc. The chef is personally overseeing your dining experience. You wind up (on both occasions) with some freebies sent over by the chef. It's a little noisy in there, but you will be entertained.

And I can see how the kitchen table with all the interaction and attention being paid to you and your lady friend could be a real romantic spot... You won't have much privacy, but you will be well-fed.

Guest Drewsett

Of the other restaurants I've heard suggested I am also quite fond of several of them:

Mama Mia's- Great little gem tucked away in a strip mall next to a gas station at the intersection of Trousdale and Harding. Great food! The recipes are authentic and the ingredients are quality and fresh. Don't forget to bring your own bottle of wine, as they offer none but do provide glasses and I can't remember if they charge a corking fee or not. The building and decor are a little rough...it IS a strip mall next to a gas station, but my plates, glasses, and silverware were all quite clean. It is nice and quiet and fairly romantic inside. Now, take all that and know that I haven't been there in over two years, so I guess with the above review from collinp I might have to go take another look.

Buca di Beppo- It's right next to us near Cool Springs mall. My wife and I have had nothing but good experiences there, but we haven't been going there for romantic evenings. Buca is a jeans and tshirt family place. Kids are loud, seated near you, and running around. If you don't have kids and find most of them cute like my wife and I do, it's a great spot to go. If you have kids of your own, they'll feel right at home with menus to color on. If you hate kids, don't go.

Amerigo- I haven't been to the one on West End, but the one in Louisville and the one in Cool Springs are both quite good. They have a pretty good wine list over there, especially Italian reds. I prefer to do lunch at Amerigo rather than dinner for some reason, but that's just me.

Sambuca- If you go, you MUST get the beignets. The service is good, the food is pretty good, sort of a nouveau American restaurant with some outside influences and fusion. I just don't like getting down there and back at night because of the traffic around rush hour and then of course the Station Inn is across the street and it can get busy in the evening.

Edited by Drewsett
+1 on Carrabbas, and there's one in Green Hills. For a mid-priced Italian restaurant they are far better than Maggiano's. Maggiano's sucks. I won't even attend free luncheons there.

I guess a bunch of you guys are clueless what good Italian food is. And it is damn hard to find in Nashville.

The carrabas in knoxville and johnson city are kick butt. I also liked johnny carinos. I dont know if yall have one of those down there but it is a good place to.

Here's one if you're into more international fare: Anatolia Turkish Restaurant on White Bridge. It's kind of hidden in a weird place, behind Wendy's and Calhoun's in the same strip mall as The Office Depot. The food is always good, especially the mixed grill platter and chicken stew. And they have some pretty awesome baklava for dessert. Oh and the hummus is really good, too.

Guest HexHead
You're thinking of haggis. Hummus is pureed chick peas with various spices, usually tahini. You dip your pita bread into it as an appetizer. Delicious.

California Pizza Kitchen in Green Hills has excellent humus also. They use white beans instead of chick peas and it's a little smoother and creamier.

Guest no_masters

Id go with City House in Germantown, Allium over in east nashville.

If she like sushi go for Virago.

Also saw other people were talking about Sambuca, its really good as well and has live jazz or soul music every night.